Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck repair question

Greg B.

My Ibanez Explorer has the fretboard lifting from the neck from the nut to about the 5th fret on the treble side only. Its only just a crack now and its not real loose yet and it isn't really affecting playability, but I would like to fix it before it gets out of hand. Any suggestions on how I can fix this myself. I have no problem taking it to someone, but if it is a fairly easy fix, I can do it myself. Any info would be appreciated.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, and maybe clamp it down with a radiused caul (matching that of the fretboard) if you can. Use dry, clean, canned compressed-air to blow out any debris first. Good luck, keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the info. That's what I had in mind, but wanted to hear it from someone else before I did it. I may not get to it for a while but I will let you know how it works. Thanks again.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

You might want to leaf through the pages of Dan Erlewine's The Guitar Player Repair Guide (HIGHLY recommended; excellent book). I've got a copy, but I'm not home and won't be untill tonight or tomorrow, otherwise I'd look for any finer points on fretboard re-gluing for ya...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

You might want to leaf through the pages of Dan Erlewine's The Guitar Player Repair Guide (HIGHLY recommended; excellent book). I've got a copy, but I'm not home and won't be untill tonight or tomorrow, otherwise I'd look for any finer points on fretboard re-gluing for ya...

I've had this book for several years and it sure has upped my confindence level as far as doing my own repairs, setups, etc. I couldn't find anything in it about fretboard re-gluing, but I'm going to give it a try, I don't think that its going to be a big deal at all. Thanks for all the info. BTW, if you don't own this book, go get it now. If only for the set-up info, it is totally worth it.

Archived