Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stolen thread idea: list 5 songs from your first bands reportoire

BluesWithoutBlame

i've only been in a few bands here and there but the one i actually stayed in and did more than just bass is the one i'm in now. i do the vocals, bass, and lyric writing. we play up tempo metal. i go against the wisdom of Geddy Lee though. i play low and sing lower or just distort my voice entirly. think static-x or devildriver in terms of the distortion i can bring my voice to.

Will to Live

Bluffing

Run From the Truth

The Anti

Swingin' the Dead by DevilDriver

i am the anti, the tugging feeling in the back of your head that makes you second guess yourself. i am the devil inside of you begging to escape.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window - Beatles' three in one.

Homeward Bound - Fleetwood Mac

It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry - Dylan

Tales - Uriah Heep

Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis

The band was No-TV Motel, and we billed ourselves as "Acoustic Jazz Cowboy Chamber Music".

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

There are just to many songs to choose from, out of the top of my head i think of :

Zamba pa ti - santana

afraid to dance - don ross

Vermilion - Slipknot

wait for sleep - Dream theater

Hasta que el cuerpo aguante - Mago De Oz

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

My first band (only one I've been in so far) was Nobody's Perfect (1997-98).

Our top 5 included:

-Runaround Sue (Dion and the Belmont's, a rockin version, plus we had a female singer, so it was interesting, she sang it from Sue's point of view)

-Away (Original, Music by NP, Lyrics by Me)

-The Butcher and the Manequin (Original, Music by NP,Lyrics by Me)

-The Coward (Original, Music by NP, Lyrics by me)

-Someday Forever (original, Music by NP, Lrics by me)

Our first live appearance was a battle of the bands in our school auditorium. I'm pretty sure those were the five we played. We played at a friend's house party after that where we added some more originals and covers of "Creep" (Radiohead) and "Born to be Wild" (Stepenwolf).

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Hummm... I can think of only a few originals. We weren't a cover band. It was one of those early high school bands when you thought you were COOL b/c you could at least say you WERE in a band and had written and "recorded" some original material.

At least I still have the tapes from 1987-88. :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I did a few high school talent shows as a duo with "singers"; one was a bunch of Pete Townsend/The Who songs including Behind Blue Eyes and Let My Love Open The Door; one was a bunch of stuff including Rush's Broon's Bane/The Trees, followed up by Monty Python's "The Lumberjack Song".

But my first band was GTA (Grand Theft Auto- real imaginative, eh?). I remember playing:

Deep Purple: Knockin' At Your Back Door

Led Zeppelin: Communication Breakdown, and Rock N Roll

Boston: Forplay/Longtime

Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train

Dio: The Last In Line

And our one and only original, "Understand".

The other guitarist is now the "singer" in a band called Twenty Ripped Angel. He's probably tried to forget this band as much as I have.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

8th Grade...

Just Between You and Me - April Wine

Time for me to Fly - REO Speedwagon

Whip It - DEVO

Paranoia (the Destroyer) - Kinks

Fox on the Run - The Sweet

We were SUCH dorks. That was the "A" material.

We were "The Rebels" (gag). Some of our tunes were:

Land of 1000 Dances

Gloria

Louie Louie

The Midnight Hour

Wild Thing

Most of these were current top 40 at the time. We were a power trio and didn't even know it!

Edited for spelling ......

"It's better to wear out than to rust out!"

I have the list of songs we were going to learn - this is 1971 or so. I don't think we actually learned too many of them, since we were mostly into jamming and getting high! I seem to remember "Death Sound Blues" by Country Joe and the Fish and some by Creedence and the Airplane.

----------------

And I remember a couple of things we jammed on that we wrote: mostly modal things with A sus chords etc. I would love to hear those tapes, 35 years later!

Archived