Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neighbours, Have I Got Neighbours...

Kramer Ferrington III.

Do you guys get any irate neighbours (or even neighbors) complaining about the music?

Over the weekend I'd noticed some letters from the building administration complaining about noise and the playing of musical instruments after 10PM, but the doorman told me they were for the benefit of some girl in another wing who plays her stereo at 3:00am. So I kept playing, as normal till about 11:00pm or after midnight on w/e's. But softly, mind you.

This morning there was a hysterical and rather insulting anonymous letter complaining about me personally.

Do you guys ever go through this shit?

And yes, I know that some of you live too far from neigbours for the music to become an issue, but please don't point this out to me because I'm feeling bad enough already.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I live in a house. No one's called the cops yet.

It was tough living in an apartment. I hated hearing other peoples sounds, so I tried to be considerate.

I had a neighbor tell me once he knew I played guitar, but let it at that. I guess he heard me playing, it just didn't bother him enough to complain.

Honestly, we got more complaints on our tread mill.

I feel for ya Vince.

I know what you mean! I basically just don't play electric guitar at home, except, sometimes late at night, unamplified. And the bass, unamplified, is always OK.. but sometimes the flute or mandolin is annoying to my wife who is tring to sleep..

I need another place to practice, is what it comes down to! Not that I can't do so, on the weekends, but it ain't like I lived in a house in the country! (Paper thin walls etc..)

I can see why rock bands in San Francisco would pool their resources and rent a farm to live on and practice on.. even as loud as they were, it wouldn't bother the neighbors, if they were 50 miles away!

And I think of the liner notes to Sonny Rollin's "The Bridge" where he went out on the Brooklyn Bridge to practice because he didn't want to keep a neighbor's baby awake at night!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I know what you mean! I basically just don't play electric guitar at home, except, sometimes late at night, unamplified.

I try to play at about the same volume as a TV. I think though, that the guitar "cuts" better than the TV and so is more audible.

Everyone knows I play guitar and I have had some positive comments from the old lady upstairs. I have no idea who it is that is complaining. I don't know that I mind the complaints as much as I despise their anonimity.

When I was an apartment dweller, I had folks above me with two small (toddler age) children. I swear to you that it sounded like a basketball tournament played with bowling balls going on up there. I only lost it once and went upstairs to tell them to take control of their kids, because it was nearly 10:00 p.m. and I'd been listening to the mayhem for hours.

The building was sold, and the new landlord was going around introducing himself to the tenants. He asked me if I had any complaints. I said the folks upstairs made some noise, but they had little kids, so I understand - just sometimes it gets to going on for too long. He was a little concerned at the amount of speaker cabinets and amplifiers I had stacked around, but I never heard a complaint from anyone.

Well, a few months later, I was standing in my doorway talking to the landlord about something else when the basketball tournament started. The first thump was so loud it rattled the glass in a ceiling mounted light fixture. The landlord says "What the hell was that!?" I said "That's the kids upstairs.". He was like "That goes on every day? :eek: From kids running around?"

And he was worried about me ;)

So he goes upstairs and talks to them; then comes downstairs and tells me "I said you weren't complaining, but when I heard the racket myself I was concerned...blah, blah, blah" to make it so they weren't pissed at me for complaining. Then he says to me "She said she'd try, but you know how 'they' are."

By which he meant 'they' were black :rolleyes: Fortunately, I was out of there in a few months and not paying rent to the bastard. Last time I drove by the place, the whole building (6 units) looked abandoned.

Originally posted by Billster:

When I was an apartment dweller, I had folks above me with two small (toddler age) children. I swear to you that it sounded like a basketball tournament played with bowling balls going on up there. I only lost it once and went upstairs to tell them to take control of their kids, because it was nearly 10:00 p.m. and I'd been listening to the mayhem for hours.

We had an upstairs neighbour once in HK that was a dog lover. So we'd have the stupid dog dropping some sort of toy and then chasing after it. Over and over again for hours on end.

So anyway, one day the old man and I decided to "man up" and go upstairs and complain.

My god, that dog was like the hound of the f*cking Baskervilles. As soon as we heard it bark through the door, we knew it was huge. It had a bark like some sort of evil gong. :P Close up, it looked like a "tigered up" great dane.

Anyway, we toned down the complaint a LOT and I think the guy bought the dog a soft toy the next day.

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

I told ya to try them AKG K-55's with a good modeler, Vince! :D

Yeah, but it's not the same with can on.

I nearly died last April and when I got out of the hospital I decided I wasn't going to putz around with headphones any more, life's too short to hide what you love. :mad:

And anyway I wasn't playing too loud. :)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I know what you mean! I basically just don't play electric guitar at home, except, sometimes late at night, unamplified.

I try to play at about the same volume as a TV. I think though, that the guitar "cuts" better than the TV and so is more audible.

Everyone knows I play guitar and I have had some positive comments from the old lady upstairs. I have no idea who it is that is complaining. I don't know that I mind the complaints as much as I despise their anonimity.

Try to think of it from the other persons (teh anonymous person) viewpoint.

They most likely are afraid to confront you or be known to you, but they also most likely are not out to get you....they just want peace and quiet, and after 10 for some folks IS too late.

Personally, I have been on both sides of this thing, and there are many options. You could practice only electric after 10, no amp, going into a stereo, or a v-amp, or a board. They wouldn't be able to hear you. There is no reason in these days to be playing loud enough to be heard through walls after 10...

And it goes the other way too. I sympathize with the neighbors, because I have neighbors with a hyperactive kid and he tramples around at all hours. They have parties, I don't mind...but the trampling is a bass sound that I am sensitive to and it really is impossible to 1) get away from in my own house and 2) ignore...it gets me jumpy, I can't relax.

I live in a vertical split duplex (we share one wall) and it can be a real hell when that kid is on the rampage.

On the other side, I called the neighbor directly, and asked him to stop the kid from doint that at all hours. There just is no sound insulation between the houses. High freq, no prob, low goes right through.

Now, I practice, through my amp, some nights. I keep my eye on the clock and stop between 10 p.m. and 10:30, OR I go over to my V-amp, or record direct into my home recording machine. I also don't play loudly, but as you say, the bass especially can make a guitar cut through more than a TV. I do this in the basement, so that helps, and occasionally I have to turn up for a couple of minutes to check at real volume, but bring it down right away.

I have TOLD my neighbor repeatedly from the day he moved in "I play guitar, sometimes I may think it is soft enough, but if you EVER get bugged by it, just call me or beat on the walls, I won't get mad and I will adjust".

Lately I have gotten some of the BEST practice in my life in in the last year or so, partly because of my band (we rent a practice room...I can go there if I want to get loud) but mainly because I bought a few years back a Tascam GT-1, where you plug the electric into it, it plays CD's you can loop, slow down, change pitch, while playing along. I used it a lot, BUT in the last year or so, when I can't relax because of the noise (it really sounds like someone is trying to break into the house with a sledge hammer...constant, then stops, then again..and you end up waiting for the next one) instead of getting aggravated I put on the GT-1 headphones, plug in, and practice. It shuts out the neighbors noise, I get more practice than normally would have.

In recent years, since he won't control the noise from his side, I feel much less concern over my playing on my amp though. It is never for retribution, but I used to really limit myself, but if he doesn't bother, then it's more open...I don't either.

That said, the GT-1 is a godsend. You can practice all night, with just electric guitar plinging...and no real noise, and you can really work on stuff.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

They most likely are afraid to confront you or be known to you, but they also most likely are not out to get you....they just want peace and quiet, and after 10 for some folks IS too late.

Oh, I can see their point of view right enough. I am just rather pissed off about the anonimity thing. That is weak and cowardly and basically sucks.

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Oh, I can see their point of view right enough. I am just rather pissed off about the anonimity thing. That is weak and cowardly and basically sucks.
They may be old. They may just be cowardly...they may have had similar confrontations before and been mishandled. Just no way to tell.

I think the main thing is, you are choosing not to use headphones. Your "noise" is no better (apparently) to them, as the folks with the dog you were going to confront.

I don't hink it has anything to do with if someone is "cowardly" about things like this. I personally am not (which doesn't make me brave at all as I see it) one of those types. I have a hard time understanding the idea of going to police, or authorities before even trying to just talk, I think it aggravates the problem. So I DO just go up, and also encourage folks to tell me when I'm out of line on things like that.

But thats' us (assuming you do to). We can't know what reasons people don't do that...because we DO do that. But keep in mind they may have good reason, from other experiences or something.

But still, the thing comes down to, if it bugs them, it can be making their life a living hell, OR it can be folk with nothing better to do that look for problems. Thing is, it just gets worse if nothing is changed.

From what you described, if I were you I'd start using headphones after 10. I'd also post an open letter to the "anon" person and mention you will try to be more thoughtful, but if they have a problem they can simply come to you, you won't get mad (unless you WOULD get mad :)

Just some thoughts. Peoples homes are their sanctuaries...and I too have lived in apartments and had to live with lots of noise (the WORST by far is someone above you making noise, stomping around..etc.) but it is expected to a degree there. In a duplex I expect (and try) to have it happen less. But over that limit, it really, really can make someones life a living hell. When you work all day, you ought to be able to relax in the evening without having someones noise right on you. That said, I know to in different cultures there are different noise levels considered acceptible. I know travelling in Sicily, and been in Rome it was my experience that noise was MUCH higher, and considered normal.

So maybe your neighbors are too sensitive.

I'm looking for a home now as nice as what we have, but stand-alone structure...no shared walls.

but not in practice."

I also am reluctant to intentionally disturb the neighbors. In this old industrial building, they didn't care much about sound proofing when they built it in the 1880s. So I can hear the upstairs neighbors cat run across the floor at night.

I do pretty much what I want until about 10 PM, then I shut it down.

In terms of the 'weak and cowardly' issue.... if I have a complaint, I take it to the building manager, and I'm definitely not weak and cowardly. That is the proper chain of command. This also put the building management in the loop, and allows the building management to judge the validity of any claims for themselves.

If I -know- you personally, maybe we can shortcut the chain of command. But as I have no more 'authority' than you, I have no standing from which to approach you if I do not know you. Furthermore, if you are an asshole things could end up physical. If you are a nut, strange things could happen to my apartment or car.

Now, if I got a personal insulting letter, I'd photocopy it, paste it to a posterboard, and with a sharpe write under it something like, "You think thay might have just asked?" I would make multiple copies, post them on every floor and in every elevator.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

I also am reluctant to intentionally disturb the neighbors. In this old industrial building, they didn't care much about sound proofing when they built it in the 1880s. So I can hear the upstairs neighbors cat run across the floor at night.

I do pretty much what I want until about 10 PM, then I shut it down.

In terms of the 'weak and cowardly' issue.... if I have a complaint, I take it to the building manager, and I'm definitely not weak and cowardly. That is the proper chain of command. This also put the building management in the loop, and allows the building management to judge the validity of any claims for themselves.

If I -know- you personally, maybe we can shortcut the chain of command. But as I have no more 'authority' than you, I have no standing from which to approach you if I do not know you. Furthermore, if you are an asshole things could end up physical. If you are a nut, strange things could happen to my apartment or car.

Now, if I got a personal insulting letter, I'd photocopy it, paste it to a posterboard, and with a sharpe write under it something like, "You think thay might have just asked?" I would make multiple copies, post them on every floor and in every elevator.

Bill

Good points. All of them. When I mention I do actually try to make contact, let it be mentioned, I do it in a very self effacing way, very low key...if I am irritated, I try and wait, and I would back off if it seemed the other person was a nut, hothead, etc.

That said, that all works in a building like is in issue here, but when you have neighbors it gets tougher...there is no "council" or super, etc, and you have to live with them afterwards.

Maybe for years.

but not in practice."

In terms of the 'weak and cowardly' issue.... if I have a complaint, I take it to the building manager, and I'm definitely not weak and cowardly.

Well, the way I understand it, people can do a few things a) talk to me personally. Christ I've been living there for about eight years now. b) tell the doorman to talk to me about the noise c) go to the bulding administrator d) call the cops.

I saw a letter from the administrator in the lobby last Saturday, but when I asked the doorman, I was told that they were for some girl on the opposite side of the building that plays her stereo at 3:00am.

http://www.geocities.com/vince_cabrera/lambrate/lambrate06.jpg

This is the garden of the building where I live, it's pretty built up, but I thought it'd also foster a spirit of communication and all that.

I'm definitely going to write a counter letter which will probably run something like "all my life, I've believed that "adults" solve their problems by civil means such as talking. Today I have come to realize that the "adult" thing to do is to resort to anonymous letters, insults and threats. Now that you have demonstrated the true state of things to me, I shall never again believe you to be something you are not. (Signed) The bastard who plays the guitar after 22:00"

And if it gives them the shits, better still.

Yeah, and watch the clock a bit more. :P

Ha, I remember in my teen years, I'd be blastin' the hood out w/my Peavey renown cranked. Living in Key West, the houses are pretty close together and the vibe is pretty "New Agey" or "party".

I used to get complaints from these folks who were followers of some dude named Da Free John and would need to meditate at certain hours of the day. They would knock on my door and ask me to turn down so they could meditate.

The apartment house across the street would get transient cats who played and would show up to my door drunk w/their axe and amp sayin "wanna jam?"

Another neighbor used to blow his airhorn when he thought that it was too loud. Boy, I used to mess w/him bad. In KW back in the 80's there was only one kinda cable box from the cable co. He had this big plate glass window and i used to change his channels from outside with the house remote control and he would get PISSED :mad:

Pretty cool back in the 80's in KW

Originally posted by Caputo:

I used to get complaints from these folks who were followers of some dude named Da Free John

... :rolleyes:

It's not a very good name for a guru, is it? I dont' know that Adi Da is a much better name. Sounds a bit "sneaky".

http://www.kheper.net/topics/gurus/Da.htm

I told ya to try them AKG K-55's with a good modeler, Vince! :D

Yeah, but it's not the same with can on.

I nearly died last April and when I got out of the hospital I decided I wasn't going to putz around with headphones any more, life's too short to hide what you love. :mad:

And anyway I wasn't playing too loud. :)

Huh, I actually really enjoy playing through my 'phones, especially with stereo effects. Only thing I really miss that way is controlled feedback, but I could always get a Sustainiac transducer-on-the-headstock gizmo for that, canned or aloud; always wanted one, anyways...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Huh, I actually really enjoy playing through my 'phones, especially with stereo effects.

I have this pedal called a George Dennis Panorama (geddit? geddit? :rolleyes: ) and hook up two amps.

Only thing I really miss that way is controlled feedback

No, I think there's a feel or whatever that you don't get from headphones. A physicality in the sound (which doesn't even have to be loud). I can't explain it and I'm sure it's Just My Imagination (Runnin Away With Me) but there's something about the cone pushing out the air that feels different.

First, sorry for the long post... :freak:

I think I'm very considerate when playing my guitar at home. The room I play in is fairly well insulated (my wife can barely hear it upstairs).

My problem is with our very noisy neighbors.

We have one neighbor who has a 15 year old kid who thinks the rest of the world should enjoy whatever he listens to. This idiot opens the windows to his room then cranks his stereo up to 11 with the bass on 12 and then acts surprised when I walk over to their house and tell him to turn it down. His mother actually had the gall to get angry at me and tell me that she "couldn't hear it" (my windows were rattling from it). My son, who is also 15, thinks Justin is an idiot. I agree.

Another neighbor, Jesus, doesn't have a home stereo. So he just goes out into his back yard and rolls down the windows of his SUV and cranks that up, again with the bass on 12.

The first time I asked him politely (after a little small talk) to turn it down he actually got belligerent about saying he was in his own yard and could damn well do whatever he wanted. Then the turd followed me back to my house where I was cleaning my garage. He kept yammering at me about his rights. He finally got tired of saying the same thing over and over again (it's my house) and went back home. He didn't turn it down until about 2AM.

So I looked up the Gwinnett County noise ordinance that the cops refuse to enforce and printed it out. The next Saturday Jesus did the same crap. I went over with the printout of the GC ordinance and told him that if he didn't turn it down to where I couldn't hear it _inside my house_ I would have the police do it. He still didn't turn it down. So I went back home and called the police. They kept telling me there was nothing they could do until I cited the GC Ordinance and read it to them. It took 5 hours for a cop to show up. By then Jesus had left. I swore out a formal complaint anyway.

I can't understand why the cops refused to enforce a perfectly sensible law and one that is easy to enforce. We still have some idiot kid who just rides around in our neighborhood with his car stereo on 11 and the bass on 12. I have taken pictures of his car with the license plate clearly visible and recorded it from inside my front door. The cops won't do anything about it even though there is a county ordinance for it that I have pointed out every time.

We have several very noisy neighbors (at least 5). The only noise we ever make is when I cut our grass or do work on the exterior of our house. My son is a pretty quiet kid. The thing that really puts me off is that they act like _we_ have a problem when they are inconsiderate jerks.

Generally Saturday afternoons in the summer it sounds like the world's largest airport for propeller aircraft. They all have huge riding mowers with dual blades to cut their little 1/2 acre lots. They, on average, take about 2 hours to cut their grass. The noise is unbelievable and there are so many it lasts nearly all day. In contrast, our lot is 1/2 an acre and I cut ours in an hour with a push mower.

I used to have to get up at 4:30 AM to go to work. One Wednesday night the neighbor behind us was out cutting his grass at 10 o'clock at night. I wanted to kill him as I tried to go to sleep (I had to go to bed at 8:30). The worst part is that he KNEW I had to get up at 4:30 in the morning. He just didn't give a crap.

Another neighbor's son (who doesn't live with them anymore) now comes over to their house and has his band practice in their garage in the evenings. They are VERY loud (and also sound like crap). Their drummer plays the drums as hard as he can so everybody else has to play loud, too. It wouldn't be so bad if they had any talent. They don't. They sound absolutely awful and none of them are decent players.

There have been times when I contemplated hooking my full stack up on my back deck and cranking it up to 10 and just playing power chords as hard as I could. :mad:

What I don't understand is why people just can't be reasonable. How you approach them doesn't seem to matter. They always just get pissed off at you because you ask them to make less noise. I have had enough of them and their attitude.

We have a 9 acre plot of land up in Hall County (about 12 miles north of here). We are going to break ground on a new house there in April. I can't wait to get away from these jackasses. The closest anyone will be able to build to us will be a little over 200 yards. I fear that may not be enough, either, though.

End of rant... :eek: Hmm, seems like I have a lot of pent up hostility. Time to go beat the crap out of the heavy bag I guess...

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I can't understand why the cops refused to enforce a perfectly sensible law and one that is easy to enforce.

Technically, under common law; those folks are disturbing the peace and should be enforced upon by the "peace" officers, so called.

Unfortunately, there's no money in that type of enforcement such as there is in traffic or criminal prosecution / probation fees / court costs, etc . . .

...I don't know that I mind the complaints as much as I despise their anonimity.

+1.

I remember when I was 20 or 21, my band rehearsed once in my parents', suburban backyard. We played for about half an hour before my mom said dinner was ready and I had a phone call. I told the guys to quit until I finished dinner. When I answered the phone it was dead, so I ate dinner.

After dinner we began playing again. About 10 minutes later my mom told me I had another phone call. I answered and one of my brother's best friends, dispatcher at the police station, said we had to shut it down or he'd have to send another squad car.

Before I processed, "another", I'd hung up. It took a second, but I realized he'd called earlier but I'd taken too long to answer (before dinner) and he'd sent a patrolman to shut us down. By the time the cop arrived, we'd shut down for dinner and he couldn't see the setup in the backyard. :D He left without making contact and we, blissfully unaware of his presence, began playing again after dinner! :thu:

As comical as that was, it pissed me off that nobody who complained to the police bothered to contact us directly. This was an upscale, North Shore suburb or Chicago, so the likelyhood of violence was about zero. Had they simply walked over and indicated it was too loud we would have stopped immediately. My own father would've seen to that.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I had an apartment neighbor once come to our door to beg us to turn it down. He said he appreciated the music and even liked it most times, but that on this night he had planned an intimate dinner with his girlfriend. He said that we were so loud that the flames of the candles on his dinner table were moving to the beat. We were so happy for him that he was going to probably get lucky and we were so proud that we had actually made the flames dance, we called it an early night.

In that same apartment when someone was rather rude about our loudness, we played Motely Crue's "Shout at the Devil", but substitued the word "Neighbor" for "Devil" and played most of the night. Those were the days.

Now, with three kids, I can't imagine apartment life. The last apartment we lived in my wife said she actually heard the guy who lived above us peeing into his toilet.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Another One:

A friends band rehearsed in the upper level of an auditorum at a highschool. There was some insane lady who used to complain about the noise all the time, even though you could barely hear any drums from the outside.

Anyway, there was a combinaTION PADLOCK which locked the upstairs door, and they would leave the lock open and then shut it when they left.

Anyway, when i popped in, the door was locked from the outside with the padlock. i had to call the teacher responsible and they came down and unlocked the door.

The crazy lady had to have done that

Well, I live in a pretty cool/strange building. Many of the apartments are leased out to arts organisations, who house their actors, dancers, an musicians here. (As I've said before, I'm within a couple of blocks of the major theaters in town and most of the other major cultutral venues.) Most of my neighbors change every few weeks.

Then there are the permanent residents, like me.

One of the actors.. someone famous, a large black man, you've seen his movies... would come in at midnight and start to raise hell, disturbing his upstairs neighbor.

The guy upstairs comes down, and asks the star to turn it down. A wave of pot smoke fills the hallway. The star starts to MF the neighbor and give him a hard rime.

At that point the neighbor presents his credentials... United States Attorney for the Western District under President Clinton.. and suggests that he could have federal agents swarming the building in five minutes if the star prefered, but wouldn't he rather just turn down the music and go to bed?

The star had some sense, but not enough. He did turn it down. But then he called the management office and left an abusive message, claiming that the building was full of racists. He caused a bunch of havoc for a couple of days, until the building management called the theater and said, "He needs to be out of the building by the end of the day. We have a zero tolerance policy."

Last year, a moderately famous drummer moved in next door. On the first two nights in town he brought home transexuals, who beat him and robbed him. Two days in a ROW??? 3AM homosexual hysterics?? Who needs that shit. I went to his employer and frankly told them that if he brought any more of the street element into my building, I would break both of his knees with a ball bat. The buildimng management threw him out that day.

My building is cool.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thinking back to my wayward youth:

Me and other friends thought nothing of blasting away at my Mother's house at 3 in the morning, high on pot and acid. (As my friend Gary said, when we were in that condition, "the more we try to tune up, the more out of tune we get.")

Once in a while cops would come and ask us to turn again, which we would do. How they failed to notice that we smelled like a weed patch and our pupils were dilated, I don't know! I don't even know how come the neighbors didn't kill us!

We must have had guardian angels or something... working overtime for little or no pay!

PS And my friend Sal once was practicing keyboard late at night through headphones, and a lady downstairs called up to complain that the noise of him fingering the keys was bothering her.. she couldn't hear the music at all.

Not THAT'S a sensitive ear... I hope she learns to make better use of it!

Yes, kids running around upstairs can sound like a herd of elephants in heat. Which they are blissfully unaware of, of course!

Last year, a moderately famous drummer moved in next door. On the first two nights in town he brought home transexuals, who beat him and robbed him. Two days in a ROW??? 3AM homosexual hysterics?? Who needs that shit.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Btw, what part of Steel City are you in Bill?

(I lived in Moon Township)

Lynn G

I went to his employer and frankly told them that if he brought any more of the street element into my building, I would break both of his knees with a ball bat. The buildimng management threw him out that day.

My building is cool.

Bill

If anyone had to ask what city you lived in, they best stay at home or bring their chaperone should they decide to visit

Archived