Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help improve my acoustic playing?

FIFguitar

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Badi Assad, Leo Kottke, Adrian Legg, Charlie Byrd, John McLaughlin, Sérgio & Odair Assad, Andrew York, Manuel Barrueco, Kaki King, Angel and/or Pepe Romero...

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Michael Hedges :0

What do you define as 'acoustic playing?' Is it strum-my ballads like the occasional times an electric band toys with acoustics? Is it full on rhythm-and-lead fingerpicking? Or is it something else entirely out there in the spectrum of acoustic playing?

To understand where I'm coming from, I don't believe in 'acoustic' as a genre. Just like 'electric guitar' isn't a genre.

Yeah sorry, I know how that can be confusing. I mean like more of an independant acoustic guitar sound. To be more specific, I saw Hot Tuna the other week and they were amazing, so I'm looking for more of a Acoustic Blues Sound and ALSO a Folky acoustic sound such as Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan type thing... so any tips would be great. Thanks so much -Alex

Originally posted by FIFguitar:

Yeah sorry, I know how that can be confusing. I mean like more of an independant acoustic guitar sound. To be more specific, I saw Hot Tuna the other week and they were amazing, so I'm looking for more of a Acoustic Blues Sound and ALSO a Folky acoustic sound such as Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan type thing... so any tips would be great. Thanks so much -Alex

Wow ... Hot Tuna! :eek::cool: I haven't heard their name for years.

I used to really be into their stuff ... a long, lonng time ago ... along with Dylan and Arlo Guthrie.

imho, the best way to get that sound is with an old Martin D18 (mine's a 1972) and a Roland Jazz Chorus amp (mine's a 55W, mid 1980's). It works for me :cool::thu: Of course, it doesn't really have to be a Martin (or old, though it helps a little); a Taylor would definetly work fine, as would I'm sure others. And any decent amp with an Echo EFX pedal would work too.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by MILLO:

Badi Assad, Leo Kottke, Adrian Legg, Charlie Byrd, John McLaughlin, Sérgio & Odair Assad, Andrew York, Manuel Barrueco, Kaki King, Angel and/or Pepe Romero...

Whoa! The guy's been playing eight years. This is kinda like telling a high school student to perform surgury. :eek::D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Anything by Chris Proctor. Actually there are many fine acoustic players.

As for magazines, Frets and Acoustic Guitar are good, and there are some classical guitar magazines out there, too!

I happen to have with me a copy of the AG where they suggest 100 CDs of essential acoustic guitar CDs in a variety of styles. If you want, I can type out the names of the CDs for you.. I can't copy the whole magazine for you, unfortunately!

Bear in mind there are many different acoustic guitar styles, and it's highly unlikely you'd be able to master ALL of them!

Archived