Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sort of OT: proof

Guitar55

I just saw the movie "proof" on a plane trip. It stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins and Jake Gylenhaal and it's about a mentally unstable mathemtical genius and his daughter.

Jake G. and a few other mathematicians play in a rock band and they do a song called "i" that is an ode to the math concept of the imaginary number .

Jake, the drummer, counts off: "one...two...three...", which is then followed by three minutes of silence.

I thought it was pretty funny.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Was there actually any real math used (theorems, laws etc.) in the movie?

I'd like to know the same thing - were there any real detailed math theorems outlined in the movie? Because if so, that sounds boringer'n hell. :P

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Was there actually any real math used (theorems, laws etc.) in the movie?

I'd like to know the same thing - were there any real detailed math theorems outlined in the movie? Because if so, that sounds boringer'n hell. :P
Oh, oh, Ohhhh now it's on! :mad::mad:

I unclog my nose in your direction, you son of a window dresser! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy-leather, second-hand, electric donkey bottom biter! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :P

YtseJam your Majesty!

Originally posted by KPB:

Pffft pocket protectors! Thats soooo 90s! You know its all about hard-shell calculator cases now! Geez! :D

... calculators in Reverse Polish Notation. You aren't a real nerd unless you have one of these.
I own two HP calculators (HP-11 and HP12)! The upside back in HS and college was that most kids couldn't borrow your calculator since they couldn't use them. "Where's the equals button???"

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Archived