Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

listening recomendations

comacoda

Hey fellas. Started playing my steel guitar, it's pretty cool! It's not easy to play anything that doesn't sound cliched, definitely a challenge... I put all the albums that have steel guitar parts in my desk at work and I'm trying to put ear to them and get some ideas. I'm going to get some type of instructional book/dvd but also looking to learn through immersion. I've got some new cd's on the way for just that. Any albums I should listen to?
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robert Randolph and the Family Band is one that you might check out. Amazing player. I saw him on TV somewhere a while back ago and was blown away. I'm not a steel player, but the things that I saw him do didn't look like normal steel playing. Awsome stuff and really good songs too. The name of the record is "Unclassified".

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

There are a few good steel tunes on Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd...Please Be With Me, Can't Hold Out, at least one other. I think those are resonator guitars as opposed to pedal steels though.
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Paisley has a killer pedal steel player, don't know his name. If you can find anything with Buddy Emmons, he's about as good as it gets in the old school vein. BJ Cole does a lot of interesting nonstandard sort of pedal steel stuff with folks like John Cale. Dan Dugmore did a lot of steel with Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor,among others. Don't know what recordings to tell you to check out, but look for those names.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Greg B.:

Robert Randolph and the Family Band is one that you might check out. Amazing player. I saw him on TV somewhere a while back ago and was blown away. I'm not a steel player, but the things that I saw him do didn't look like normal steel playing. Awsome stuff and really good songs too. The name of the record is "Unclassified".

I'll second the Robert Randolph & The FB nod. He's incredibly talented, really an innovator of the instrument and just doing his own thing. The rest of the band is really on too. His live cd, Live at the Wetlands is also awesome by the way. He puts on one helluva show, really connects with the audience and gets them into it. I'm still hoping to see him at some point, it's an experience to say the least.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Is that like a dobro?

I quite liked this album, it is like a quick crash course on dobro players and their various styles. "Birdland" on a dobro? That's different.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000EYC/sr=8-1/qid=1139987831/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1199504-8155848?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Steve Howe has a unique (IMO) take on using steel; it pops up in a bunch of Yes songs and all over his solo stuff. Check out "Going For The One", "To Be Over" and "Children of Light" from Yes; "Penants" from "The Steve Howe Album" and a lot of songs on his "Quantum Guitar", "Turbulence" and "The Grand Scheme of Things " albums. And his steel solo at the end of "Toe The Line" on the GTR album is a personal favorite.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Is this a lap or pedal steel? What music do you play, comacoda?

There's only about 10,000 albums in country music you should listen to. Shouldn't take too long. ;)

You could start with Shameless off Garth Brooks', Ropin' The Wind album, any BR-549 record, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, Barbara Mandrell, etc., etc., etc.

Look for Paul Franklin's name on the credits of any album and it's bound to have great steel guitar work on it. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived