Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup config.

bonebag

Hi everybody,

I´m building a guitar and I intend to have standard tele pickups (DiMarzio) along with Seymour Duncan JB pickup, one volume pot (250K or 500k?), one tone pot(250K or 500k?) and 5 way switch. What is the best config. for this setup?

Thanks,

b

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the specs of the JB. To use its features requires a 5 way switch, doesn't it? I put one in my RD back when the JB was first released. That was a long time ago, so maybe my memory is faulty, but that is the way that I remember it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Look at the specs of the JB. To use its features requires a 5 way switch, doesn't it? I put one in my RD back when the JB was first released. That was a long time ago, so maybe my memory is faulty, but that is the way that I remember it.

Bill

Oh. Well, I couldn't say either way. Interesting. So it wouldn't work in a 3-position switching on a Les Paul?

BTW, if I looked at the specs, I wouldn't even BEGIN to be able to tell you what all those lines mean. :eek::thu: I SHOULD get to know this stuff to save some install dough.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Yes, it would. But to take advantage of what the JB has to offer, you need a seperate switch just for it. I put it in a Gibson RD, and added a three way toggle, and simply picked the three options that I wanted. But to get -all- the options, you need more switching.

I've said this before... I really don't see this stuff as useful. I prefer the 'keep it simple, stupid' view. If I was building a guitar today, it would have a single mid-mounted P-90, a volume control, and a switch to bypass the electronics.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I assume you will be using 3 pups and a 5 position selector switch of the type commonly used on a Strat.

When I installed Kinman pups on my Strat I also reconfigured the wiring per the wirogram provided by Kinman for the options below. This works great and allows much more versatile combinations of pups without surgery and should also work well for your 3 pup setup. I copied info below on this which was originally scoped for a Strat but should also work well for any 3 pup guitar. I believe you can wire the Humbucker wires so you get get it down to only two wires (one conductor and ground). The extra HB wires provided allow for options such as coil splitting which is optional. I believe the setup below will be much more versatile:

Pickup Wiring Modifications:

Go to the Kinman Pickup website (kinman.com) and look at their wirograms to view how to make these easy but versatile modifications:

1. Modified wiring for neck pickup mix control & master tone control:

This mod is really neat and is easy to make with no surgery to the exterior of your Strat. You basically replace the rear tone pot with a higher valued pot ( I used a 1 Meg), make the wiring changes shown and the versatility of your Strat improves dramatically. What happens is the middle tone pot becomes a master tone pot for all 3 pups (you only need one tone pot anyway) and the rear tone pot becomes a graduated blender pot for blending in the neck pup with any of the other pups selected via the 5 way switch. You really lose nothing and gain everything since if you turn the new rear pot totally off (i.e. clockwise) then the 5 way switch works as on a traditional Strat. However, if you start dialing in the rear pot counter-clockwise, you can get a progressive mix of the neck with any other pup. For example, if you set the 5 way switch to the bridge pup and dial in the neck pup, you get a neck and bridge pup blend for a neat Tele sound . Similarly if you set the 5 way switch to middle & bridge position and dial in the neck pup, you get all 3 pups for an entirely different sound. Everyone I've talked to who has made this mod is very happy with it. Some were thinking about buying Teles and have indicated they can now get a good Tele sound on their Strat.

Additionally, I recommend the other kinman mod called

2. Treble Bypass filter: You buy a 130K 1/4 watt resistor and .0012uF 63 volt polyester capacitor needed for this minor mod (for less than fifty cents). You basically wire the resistor and capacitor in series across the two terminals of the volume pot as shown on the wirogram. The end result is that you no longer get a loss of highs as you turn your guitar's volume pot down ( a common problem of Strats associated with guitar cable inductance).

I've copied the below

Thank you all for your replys guys,

Lancer; I´m gonna check out the Kinman website..., I´m using a Music Man Silhouette Special body that I have carved out and intend to use 1 volume and 1 tone like the original Silhouette. I´m going to have the Telecaster pickups in priority here and have measured the exact distance between the pickups on USA made Fender Telecaster. The SD JB pickup might end as the middle pickup but as close to the bridge as possible.

Archived