Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Allman Bros. Question

Kramer Ferrington III.

I was listening to "Live At The Filmore" today and I've noticed that during the slow bits of "You Don't Love Me Anymore", one can hear a lot of hiss on the guitar and these odd, faint clicking sounds.

I am assuming that the hiss is due to some sort of tape echo (?) but the clicking sounds puzzle me. Is it just my copy or does it always do that? And what are the clicks due to?

Anybody know?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WELL I can tell ya EXACTLY what that was Vince! you are mostly right, the hiss was the Echoplex running the click was where the tape was SPLICED! yes sir! we used to make new loops out of mag tape for them, apparently somebody did a nasty job on that loop, like I used too and there it is!!!! I used to wait untill the crosstalk was so bad I had to make a new one, it got better a bit when I was shown how to make the splice at a angle instead of just blunt across but at high volume it was still there somewhat.

Originally posted by ellwood:

WELL I can tell ya EXACTLY what that was Vince! you are mostly right, the hiss was the Echoplex running the click was where the tape was SPLICED! yes sir! we used to make new loops out of mag tape for them, apparently somebody did a nasty job on that loop, like I used too and there it is!!!!

**LMAO!!** Wow! THAT was fast! :D This forum's fame for fast answers is well deserved! :D

it got better a bit when I was shown how to make the splice at a angle instead of just blunt across...

Jeez... I'm getting this vague memory of a gizmo for splicing tape. Sort of like a small mitre box. Feels like it happened in somebody else's lifetime :D

Originally posted by Tedster:

Ah...the golden days of grease pencils and splicing blocks.

I used to work in radio.

OH ya then you would really get good and fast at it, man I hated to do that! Then I went to cassette Vox machines and same thing but they seemed to last longer but didn't sound as good. I'm remembering now, on stage if it wasn't ticking between songs, it was BROKE AGAIN!! SO back into the back room where they stored the extra table and chairs and empty beer containers splicing away before the next set!!

Well, chalk a big one up for Lee-ellwood! :thu::cool:

That's one of my favorite albums, I'm gonna haveta listen to that tonight (actually, the updated/upgraded The Fillmore Concerts, remixed and remastered and expanded and repackaged by none other than Tom Dowd, who was there running things for the original concert-recording).

Oops, waitaminute- I loaned that one out recently... oh, well.

I never even thought about there being an Echoplex or similar tape-echo unit on there, I'll have to listen for it!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

"Hypercompression, anyone? I wonder if you can hear that on the original pressings of the LP."

Bill

Well, is there an Echoplex type effect in use there (like I said, my copy's out on loan)? Or is it some artifact of the live performance or the recording/production process? Or, for that matter, subsequent re-releases in digital formats?

Speaking of splices, the Live at the Fillmore album is actually culled from several nights of performances, spliced together within the songs, not just between them.

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Speaking of splices, the Live at the Fillmore album is actually culled from several nights of performances, spliced together within the songs, not just between them.
That is not at all unusual. The extreme of that is the live Steely Dan album. Every channel went to it's own track of DA-88 for every performance on the tour. Then they mixed and matched to create the best complete takes from each of the best performances. As Roger said, (I paraphrase...)"Don't blame me if you recognise the song from the show in your town, but the solo is not the right solo..."

Rusted Root recently did the same thing. It is very common.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Oh, my point was just that splices in the master might be the source of the noises Vince cites.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

"As Roger said, (I paraphrase...)"Don't blame me if you recognise the song from the show in your town, but the solo is not the right solo...""

:D:thu:

Oh, I haven't listened to the track, but that 'tick tick tick' sound was characteristic of the three EchoPlexes that I owned.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

....]OH it sure is!! and the worse the splice the bigger the tick!!!
Bad splice??? whazzat? :rolleyes:

Bill

Steve Martin

Oh, my point was just that splices in the master might be the source of the noises Vince cites.

I doubt that, as the whoever was splicing the master (Tom Dowd?)would've known to splice at an angle and those splices are done all the time without such blatant clicking

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I doubt that, as the whoever was splicing the master (Tom Dowd?)would've known to splice at an angle and those splices are done all the time without such blatant clicking

No, no... I don't think we're talking about splices on the MASTER, just about splices on the echoplex's tape loop? And why would you splice the echoplex? Well, maybe the tape had broken at diferent times and been fixed in a hurry.

The clicking only occurs while the guitar is playing. And because it happens on the slow bits, there are lots of silences, with no clicking. he decay is also very natural and smooth, it doesn't sound gated. Methinks it's something on the guitar itself.

V.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Vince, it's good to see you've decided to give the Allmans a close listen.

I normally listen to music when I'm cycling in traffic. I hear most of the sounds, but miss out on subtle things like the clicking.

The other day though, I was stuck in an empty waiting room for a couple of hours and noticed a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before. :)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

"The clicking only occurs while the guitar is playing.

And because it happens on the slow bits, there are lots of silences, with no clicking."

Well, that rules out any Echoplex tape splices then, as you would hear that continuously in a set pattern as the tape-loop cycled around and around. (I wasn't so sure that any Echoplex-type effects were used there, anyways.)

Perhaps it's something worn by Duane or Dicky clicking against the guitar; Idunno, I still don't have my copy back to refer to. I'll have to give that a good listen soon.

Well, that rules out any Echoplex tape splices then, as you would hear that continuously in a set pattern as the tape-loop cycled around and around. (I wasn't so sure that any Echoplex-type effects were used there, anyways.)

Interesting point. I'll have another listen to the track later on.

Or maybe they DID gate out the clicking during the silences?

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

"Or maybe they DID gate out the clicking during the silences?"

I'd doubt it; Tom Dowd and the Allman Bro's were all about capturing a performance, a spirit, a vibe, that seems sort of counterintuitive to me, too calculated and planned; if memory serves, I believe that the track in question wasn't planned on ahead of time, as it was played due to a combination of who showed up to guest on-stage that night, and the news that their friend, King Curtis, had just died... "IIRC".

Going through some stuff, found this, though that you guys might get a kick out of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/02-15-06_0848.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BillPark/02-15-06_0849.jpg

Steve Martin

Archived