Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G.A.S attack! Peavey Classic 30

PeeMonkey

OK, i have been using a amp modeler for the longest time in my apartment, currently the M-Audio blackbox, however I just recently found a Peavey Classic 30 for 295$. Much cheaper than I see on eBay. The drive however is about 40miles out but since im using a new civic i get 38mpg highway ;)

I was wondering how loud this thing gets, and is it decent at bedroom levels since its a tube amp. I can only crank a amplifier so much until it gets too loud for my apartment. Also does it have a headphone jack to it?

I've been playing alot of SRV lately, so can i just drive my strat through a tube screamer and get a decent SRV tone with this amp? Im using noiseless pickups though.

I just want feedback before I drive out 40miles to go test it out.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunno about the head phone jack, but at that price, you should get out there without regard to the speed limit, except in school zones, of course. :D Grab it! You'll be a happy camper! :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

My pro junior could keep up with a drummer but youd have to really push it. The Peavey Classic is waaaayyyy louder. You could play with a drummer and the rest of the band no problem. $295 is a sweet deal, do it. Also, im 18 so i still live at home, and i can play at night with a thick distortion at a low enough volume to where they can t hear it in there room about 10 feet away.

Peemonkey, These guys in here helped me make up my mind on the Classic 30. I was torn between it and the Blues Jr. I bought my Peavey for $375... It's a 2000 and the owner beefed it with an 80 watt, 16 Ohm Wolverine 12". This thing is beefy at low volume and downright scary cranked. Jump on it if you still have time. I don't believe you'll be dissapointed. And the price is something that even if you can't afford it get it anyway.

Have fun,

Billy

PS...No head phone jack on mine but it's warm and fuzzy (or clean) turned down low.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

You don't need the tube screamer to get the SRV tone. It already has alot of distortion.

I do like the amp's distortion for a little coloring for my "clean" sound. I use the TS for in lieu of channel switching. That's what I consider to be my "70's" sound.

Then I have the Boss DS-1 for my "80's" sound.

:thu:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I've been playing alot of SRV lately, so can i just drive my strat through a tube screamer and get a decent SRV tone with this amp? Im using noiseless pickups though.

Becareful you don't want to get in a rut playing

SRV,and what ever you do don't take it out live

because you'll seem plastic and not have his fire or soul..... ;)

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

Becareful you don't want to get in a rut playing

SRV,and what ever you do don't take it out live

because you'll seem plastic and not have his fire or soul..... ;)

Hehe yea, ive taken that into consideration :D I will never have what it takes to go live with SRV material, especially with the limited time I have to practice! I'm just trying to get down scuttle buttin and SRV is out the door! ... for now... just want to finish the song off before moving on, however I usually dont get into ruts, or seem to not think I do, I usually switch it up a bit, metal one day, blues the next, etc.. hehe

But, I contacted the seller, and hes holding on to it for me, so wish me luck, im giving it a run this weekend, and then I will be happy to say I will be a proud new owner of a tube amp :cool:

• 1 month later...
I've had my Classic 30 for about a month or so now and I'm not dissapointed. The only problem I've had is my first pre-amp tube went south and I had a loud 'pop' everytime I turned it off. I put a Sovtek 5751 in and that seemed to solve the problem. It also gave it a creamier sound. (Could be my imagination but isn't imagination what makes us all play?) Grab dat' sucka' now! I like the tweed package for looks too.

I've had mine since the first year they came out('95-'97ish). I absolutely love this amp. My only regret about it, is that I had to get rid of my Peavey Classic 20 to buy it. I am still kicking myself for that. The Classic 20 would be a perfect beginner amp for my 4 year old in a couple of years. But, my Classic 30 is the one piece of equipment that I own that I could not live without. You definitely won't be disappointed.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived