Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Play What You Feel? - Maybe NOT!

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KPB:

I'm guessing you have a group of pros with you now and that you can pick out the turdballs in a heartbeat.

Yep it's pretty easy and there is a black ball list too to go by. We are lucky we don't have to audition people anymore. I did for the keyboard spot in the blues project thing but I already knew the guys.

There is a time and place for everything. The musical engagement ellwood is involved in requires the utmost attention to detail regarding reproductions of the original as they are marketed as such.

I believe that those situations require some of the utmost discipline and restraint as well lest it gets too crazy when the group is supposed to be focused on a certain sound

Originally posted by Caputo:

There is a time and place for everything. The musical engagement ellwood is involved in requires the utmost attention to detail regarding reproductions of the original as they are marketed as such.

I believe that those situations require some of the utmost discipline and restraint as well lest it gets too crazy when the group is supposed to be focused on a certain sound

Caputo, yes very true, it is a specialized kind of band and yes it was concieved to do covers pretty much as close to how the material was done originally. The only real liberties we take is we do usually pick out the live versions of the songs when possiable, this does let us open up the solo opportunities a bit more. Allot of players do not like this kind of playing but it has it's fun and rewards.

Yes, there are many ways to approach music!

I have a friend who was the lead of an acoustic rock trio, and they too focused on copying the records as close as possible. The whole concept was anathema to me, until I heard how great they sounded, reminding me of how well-crafted the originals were. And they had me singing along... quite an accomplishment, that!

I go over to his house sometimes to jam, and he admires all the scales and chords I know (from my jazz background). And we both like classical guitar, so we've done a couple of duets. So we learn from each other. And we're good friends, and have been there for each other a few times!

Play in a band with him? Well, it might be fun... but we're completely different animals. Would you mate an anteater and a rhinocerous?

Re: Valentine's Day - my and wife are completely different animals, too - but after 18 years I'm sort of USED to her.... no, we're both human beings, for those of you who might wonder! No bestiality here.. other than the obvious fact that "all men are beasts"!

PS Anybody who can come with a drawing of what the offspring of an anteater and a rhinocerus would look like, please send it to me!

Archived