Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need some advice choosing a tube combo amp.

zeronyne

I'll spare you folks the details, but I'd really like to get a decent tube combo amplifier, and I'd like some suggestions.

I usually hate threads like this because they are so open-ended. So let me be as specific as possible in terms of what I'm looking for.

1) I'm not a very proficient guitar player. I'm mainly a keyboard player, and I use guitar (and other instruments) as needed when I record. If the part calls for something complex, subtle, or shred, I usually book a guitarist to play the part, but I can usually manage to play the parts I write. I've had great success getting the sound that's right for the songs I create with a Pod XT and NI Guitar Rig, but I'm looking for something different now...

2) I'm looking for a really nice amp so I can just play without booting up my computer or even turning on my mixer and monitors. Something conducive to my future addiction to analog stompboxes. That's right, I don't have any yet...this is sort of preemptive GAS. So an effects loop would be nice...maybe two (pre and post).

3) Volume...hmmm...I know that wattage in a tube amp can be very deceiving, so I'll specify the application instead. It has to keep up with a drummer occasionally, but 99% of the time, it will be a practice amp. I hear, though, that even a Zvex into a small cab is pretty loud.

4) Type of sound: Hmm, again, since I'm a beginner-level guitar player, it's hard to describe what I want with words like warmth or bite. I'm thinking more metal than blues. More Zakk than SRV, but versatility would be nice.

Around $500.00 would be nice, but I really positively want to cap it at $1000.00. I realize that a boutique amp is simply out of the question, but I love to support smaller companies whenever possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Oh, I'll be using a Parker Fly Deluxe and a Charvel with an SD Invader.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a thread from last week or so that is similar to yours.

Member DUBELL was in search of a good 60watt amp and settled on The Vox Valvetronix AD30VT at $239!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/014668.html

Check out his thread. DUBELL summarized his experience and eventual purchase very nicely. His write-up makes me want to go out and buy the Vox also!!!

If you have deeper pockets, check this out...

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/html/lucky_7.html

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by Bluesape:

He did specify he seeks a tube unit.

I'm under the impression that the VoxAD30VT is considered a tube amp.

Here's the writeup from Vox...

VOX Valve Reactor for true tube power amp sound and feel.

The AD100VT, AD50VT, AD30VT and AD15VT feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker. It also reconfigures itself so that its characteristics are the same as the amps its modeling (class A, class AB, negative feedback circuit, etc.). This means that all of the nuances of the original amp model including sound, feel, distortion and presence are reproduced accurately.

Maybe I'm wrong???

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Carvin has the Legacy and V3 combos. The V3 has some nice FX loop features.

You may also be able to get a used Koch Twintone--50 watts, FX loop. I tried one and LIKED IT A LOT. Beautiful cleans and sweet creamy distortion. But I want a Multitone 100 head instead! Used Marshall combos may also be a possibility for you.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by rw2003:

He did specify he seeks a tube unit.

I'm under the impression that the VoxAD30VT is considered a tube amp.

Here's the writeup from Vox...

VOX Valve Reactor for true tube power amp sound and feel.

The AD100VT, AD50VT, AD30VT and AD15VT feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker. It also reconfigures itself so that its characteristics are the same as the amps its modeling (class A, class AB, negative feedback circuit, etc.). This means that all of the nuances of the original amp model including sound, feel, distortion and presence are reproduced accurately.

Maybe I'm wrong???

I'm under the impression that it's a modelling amp. I think Vince has one. A true tube amp from Vox is many times that price, I believe.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I'm under the impression that it's a modelling amp. I think Vince has one. A true tube amp from Vox is many times that price, I believe.

It's a modelling amp with a valve/tube as part of the circuitry.

It even behaves like a valve amp, taking a few seconds to warm up and everything. :)

ADDED: Those Vox amps are alwayts worth considering if you're not too sure what sound you're after. I myself am not too fanatical about a specific sound, and find that over an evening's playing I'll go from something that sounds like a Fender Twin, to the AC15 emulation and then maybe play with the 70s Marshall emulation. The more gainy settings such as "US High Gain" and "UK 80s" don't do much for me, but they could have their uses.

V.

Archived