Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1965 Fender P Bass - Value?

Dr. Ellwood

A frend of mine Mike passed away this last spring and I have been waiting to ask Aneta his wife about buying his P Bass and 70's SVT and bottom. It is a 1965 and it is in very poor condition cosmetically, however it is a really great sounding bass. The original Fender hard shell case is really beat up too almost as bad as my 335 case, and that's the worst I have ever seen! Anyway trying to get a idea of the P's value before I go talk to Aneta about it. Anybody have a insight into this, I don't want to go to the Lowdown forum, I don't really know those guys and they can get pretty mean.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm.... It's a '65 in worn condition...should still be worth 1300- 1500 if everything works. Here in Canada, it would be worth that and more, since it is a collector piece. George Gruhn would likely want considerably more if he had it, though he'd pay way under to get it. I'm not a bassist, and could be off base here, as I don't normally price used basses. There's a vintage store here called The 12th Fret, and they have their inventrory viewable online. That may help.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hmmmm.... It's a '65 in worn condition...should still be worth 1300- 1500 ...

I don't know the price of basses, but I would expect the value to be -at least- double that if it is all original, even worn.

And, given the continuing popularity of the SVT, even -that- monster is probably worth too much money.

Given the situation, I'd try to make special care not to take advantage. You can always take it out for appraisal. If the shop doing the appraisal understands that they will never be able to buy it, they might not low-ball you.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yes it is original, except for a refret in the 80's at sometime, my guy did the refret, did a great job too. The SVT sounds great too he has two bottoms with it (very large) not sure what they are loaded with though? He also has a old Fender Mustang guitar. Yes I want to give Aneta the most fair price for any of it of coarse. I'm not really a bass player but it would be great to have it because it was my old friends.

First of all...

My condolences about losing your buddy.

Secondly...

That bass could sell for about $1500 or so.

Thirdly...

The LDLD gang is only mean to trolls and people with no sense, and you are neither. So never hesitate to post there, my man. I got yer back!

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

First of all...

My condolences about losing your buddy.

Secondly...

That bass could sell for about $1500 or so.

Thirdly...

The LDLD gang is only mean to trolls and people with no sense, and you are neither. So never hesitate to post there, my man. I got yer back!

OK CMDN, and thanks yes Mike was a life long friend and I do miss him very much. I just didn't think they thought too much of guitar players and thanks for the estimate on the bass.

Archived