Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

vintage Les Pauls worth their weight in gold, five times over

Funk Jazz

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt. I gave up on finding a pawnshop prize years ago. Living in Nashville certainly doesn't help. The pawnbrokers all know how to determine the minimum a guitar is worth, and generally overprice them. And, frankly, you don't see anything really pricey in the pawnshops anyway.

Walk into Gruhn Guitar and you'll be amazed, but you won't walk out with anything interesting for less than a few thousand dollars.

Oh, well. At least, in general, new products are much better than in the past and for much less money.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hopefully, more of the "artists" will get more of these in their own collections.

If I recall, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Rick Nielson and Billy Gibbons all have impressive collections. I'm sure there's a vintage guitar or two among them.

Originally posted by KPB:

I get kind of pissed off about this sometimes. These guitars will be bought by non-guitar players, stored in some warehouse and probably never be played again.

Oh well... I have my guitar so I'm happy.

Ah what do ya need an old guitar for anyway. There's plenty of new ones to play.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Over 20 years ago I bought a 1967 Gretsch 711 Songbird at a yard sale. There was a guitar case under a table and I asked the woman if it was just the case and she told me "No, the guitar is in there" I opened the case saw it was a Gretsch but it needed some work. The pickup were hanging out of the body by pieces of thread, the pickguard was removed and the switches were also hanging by threads. The bridge did not look original.

I asked her how much and she told me $5.00! I snatched it up and figured I would put it together and have a decent hollowbody electric.

To make a long story short, it sat under our bed for the past 20+ years and recently I decided to put it on Ebay and use the money to buy a new acoustic. I figured I could get $200-300 bucks for old guitar. Not a chance! I sold that baby for $1382! Turned out it was quite rare and even being a project guitar was quite desirable. It felt like the Antiques Roadshow!

Those vintage collector nerds are a bane of humanity. There's a similar thing going on with vintage automobiles. Think you're gonna re-live your youth and grab up a sixties muscle car? Not unless you have an 8 figure income. I guess that's what happens when there is limited inventory.

On the plus side, the article says that the US makers started getting their act back together in the 80's, so my '85 SG ought to be worth something to my son when I'm 90 years old - by then it will be "vintage" :freak:

Originally posted by Billster:

Those vintage collector nerds are a bane of humanity. There's a similar thing going on with vintage automobiles. Think you're gonna re-live your youth and grab up a sixties muscle car? Not unless you have an 8 figure income. I guess that's what happens when there is limited inventory.

I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 last year for $700 and $200 to tow it to my house. It didn't run at all and needed a good bit of body work. Long story short, I'm nearly done with restoring it and I have spent almost $18,000 doing it (fixing the seats is all that's left to do and they should be ready in about two weeks). With the exception of the seats, it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. And someone has already offered me $29,000 for it.

Bottom line is that I had one of these when I was a teenager and I just wanted one again. I didn't buy it to make money on it. The collectors of these cars make me sick. They won't drive them. They'll just lock them up in warehouses and let them sit. They'll say that they're too expensive and irreplaceable to drive. But that's why I wanted one. To drive. If they weren't snatched up by collectors to lock away, they wouldn't be so expensive or valuable. Well, they are irreplaceable...

I'm looking for a 1970 RoadRunner with a 383 and Carter AFB (IIRC) to fix up, next. (I used to have one of those, as well as a 1971 RoadRunner 383 6 pak, and a 1971 Charger 440 -- not all at the same time).

Born on the Bayou

As posted on MSN Money:

"There were only about 1,700 sunburst Les Pauls originally made, yet people have counted 2,200 that purport to be today," notes Yablonka.'

"...Yasuda already owns 14 of the 70 or so (pre-war Martin D-45's) known to still exist. He has about 500 other guitars, plus some 200 ukuleles and sundry stringed things. It provides some notion of the caliber of instruments he deals in to know that he once sold a guitar case for $10,000."

Snort! :freak::D:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

"The funny thing is that, according to the article, even the guitars that were once considered "substandard" (like CBS strats) and were the CAUSE of the interest in vintage instruments are now getting to be quite valuable themselves.

What a planet." :rolleyes:

Oh, I know! I'm amazed and can't help but snicker sarcastically when I see terrible examples of CBS Fenders and Norlin Gibsons referred to as "vintage" with big price-tags on 'em in guitar shops.

They're not "vintage', they're just old!

I mean, sometimes you'll find a particularly good sounding and playing CBS Fender or Norlin era Gibson, but they're really exceptions to the apparent rule. Most of 'em, frankly, $uck.

Then again, not all "vintage" guitars are gifts from Heaven, either. There are some that just aren't all that spectacular.

And, it's also very subjective; what I like, you might not, and vice-verse, while we'll both be scratching our heads over what the third player over there sees in the guitar they picked out of the bunch...

The funniest thing is, little or none of that has any bearing on most of these investment-collectors' purchases; they're not interested at all in how they play or sound, only in their condition and stats and specs.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Originally posted by Billster:

I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 last year for $700 and $200 to tow it to my house. It didn't run at all and needed a good bit of body work. Long story short, I'm nearly done with restoring it and I have spent almost $18,000 doing it (fixing the seats is all that's left to do and they should be ready in about two weeks). With the exception of the seats, it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. And someone has already offered me $29,000 for it.

Bottom line is that I had one of these when I was a teenager and I just wanted one again. I didn't buy it to make money on it. The collectors of these cars make me sick. They won't drive them. They'll just lock them up in warehouses and let them sit. They'll say that they're too expensive and irreplaceable to drive. But that's why I wanted one. To drive. If they weren't snatched up by collectors to lock away, they wouldn't be so expensive or valuable. Well, they are irreplaceable...

I'm looking for a 1970 RoadRunner with a 383 and Carter AFB (IIRC) to fix up, next. (I used to have one of those, as well as a 1971 RoadRunner 383 6 pak, and a 1971 Charger 440 -- not all at the same time).

LP!! :o Guilty as charged :ohttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/ColorMeGone.jpg

No the neck isn't original. It's not worth half what he's asking.

Oddly he says that the neck was replaced with a different profiles neck after the original was broken. Then he goes on to say that the finish hasn't been touched.

Um, you can't put a new neck on a guitar without touching finish. Part of the finish is on the neck and headstock. I don't think you can put a new neck on a Les Paul without having to refinish the area around the neck joint, too.

This is supposed to be a 1960 guitar. But he had a neck put on there with a 1959 profile.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by ellwood:

LP!! :o Guilty as charged :ohttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/ColorMeGone.jpg

Ok, I'm going to have to come over to your place and play with your toys.

Since we're talking cars, one of these days, I'll get me a '68 Chevelle to wrench.

The guitar is crap and it looks like a pile-o-parts jammed on a reissue body that was fitted with semi-old parts. It might play nicely but it aint worth anything at all.

The old man had a '73 Charger with a 440 Magnum (ya it was that body change thing that looked like a thinned out Satellite Sebring. Go like hell.

Failed a turn coming up to the house and sailed out into the lake after cutting down a small growth of cedar trees. It flew over 80 yards through the air before hitting the water!

Ted, Mel and Tim all walked to the house without a scratch! Hammered... but unscratched!

Why was it that only Chrysler made muscle cars!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by ellwood:

No No do a MoPar classic I can get parts for you! :D

I wish I'd known that when I was chasing parts for this Demon. It took me five months to find a Tuff steering wheel and horn button. Working original AM radios are almost non-existent. I had to buy one that didn't work and fix it myself. :rolleyes:

The hardest thing to find was an engine that wasn't worn out or overbored already. I finally got a 318 block and bored it out to the same bore as the 340 (3.91 to 4.04). I was tempted to go with a 360 short block since they were much cheaper but all the newer ones have the bosses in the wrong places.

Is that "Color Me Gone" car one of the "real" retired cars (they were Pro Gas weren't they)? Or is it just a replica? If it's the real deal, I wouldn't drive it much, either (especially since a real one wouldn't be street legal). I remember that car from HotRod magazine back when I was just getting into racing in my teens (early 70s -- door slammer brackets -- much fun! :D ).

Born on the Bayou

I owned that car for almost five years LP!that's why I sent ya the picture. I bought it off Roger and took it to shows and Chrysler used it at the historical shows. Twice a year we took it to the MoPar nostalgia drags at Milan Dragway. Moodey wanted to buy it back so I leased it to them for three years. Mike Lindamood, Rogers cousin and I work together now. Holman Moody ownes it now, kinda ironc that Ford guys have it! it's the one that consistantly beat the Moody,Dearborn Steel Tubing (Andy Hotton) prepaired Fairlanes and Comets, thats the one that got Nicholson so manyh times!!! That car ran Factory SS, and AFX depending on where it was run. That is a original LIGHT wt. aluminum front end ..glass deck lid Pro Stocker.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

The guitar is crap and it looks like a pile-o-parts jammed on a reissue body that was fitted with semi-old parts. It might play nicely but it aint worth anything at all.

The old man had a '73 Charger with a 440 Magnum (ya it was that body change thing that looked like a thinned out Satellite Sebring. Go like hell.

Failed a turn coming up to the house and sailed out into the lake after cutting down a small growth of cedar trees. It flew over 80 yards through the air before hitting the water!

Ted, Mel and Tim all walked to the house without a scratch! Hammered... but unscratched!

Why was it that only Chrysler made muscle cars!

My aunt had one of those Chargers (1973 440 Charger SE). Went like a bat out of hell. Her daughter (my cousin), [stephanie], cut down a telephone pole with it in 1977. Damn near killed her. Destroyed the car and the house behind the telephone pole. I guess she didn't realize that once the car's airborne it's too late for the brakes...

Now GM made a few muscle cars. I've had four of them. 1966 Chevelle SS 396, 1969 Camaro RS 396, 1971 Chevelle SS 427 (425 HP). Every one of those cars was _real_ fast.

I also had a Poncho '76 Trans Am with the 455 SD (from a '70.5 TA) and a Muncie M21. I beat a guy in a Porshe 911 on 5 lap run around Jekyl Island in that car late one night. I beat him by over a minute. He stopped talking trash after that.

A good friend of mine in high school had '71 Hemi Cuda (426 Hemi - 425 ponies). My next door neighbor had a '70 Charger R/T with a 440 (I loved that car!!!). My scout master had a '71 Charger Daytona (426 Hemi). They just don't build 'em like that anymore. Sigh...

When I go out and crank up that 340 Demon, it just sends little chills up my spine. She just rumbles through that 3 inch dual exhaust, turbo mufflers and the flattened chrome tipped resonators. You can almost hear those 325 ponies trying to get out. :D

Born on the Bayou

One day, say about 30 years from now, all of those muscle cars and vintage guitars that have been snapped up by the collectors will be released back into the general population... maybe at relatively affordable prices. If your young enough today, save your money 'till then!!!

To the Chevy fans...

Do you know that you can build a brand new 1969 Camaro Convertible now? GM has given the okay to let Dynacorn(?) manufacture and sell brand-new replacement body shells. Everything else has been available for a while. Now with the body shell, brand new 69 Camaros are being built!!! Not that cheap though!!!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Archived