Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stones at halftime

LavaMan

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

So why does modern music suck so baddly that we cannot get a stadium full of fans for any new pop artist released in the last ten years?

You're referring to football fans, aren't you? I'd say a lot of new artists could fill a stadium with their own fans :)

Seriously though, these major sporting events require somebody that has a lot of across the board appeal, and the Stones, with their 44 year career have played to various generations. They're perfect for the job.

You can't get that sort of crossover appeal in only a few years. Were the Stones playing sporting events in 1972? Was anybody from the rock world doing it? It's a serious question, I'm not big on sports and am completely ignorant of gridiron.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were the Stones playing sporting events in 1972? Was anybody from the rock world doing it? ... [/QB]
No. And I wish that it was still so. Imagine the reverse... you're at a Stones concert, and during the intermission, Manchester will play a 15 minute game against Dingham. It is really quite absurd.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

No. And I wish that it was still so. Imagine the reverse... you're at a Stones concert, and during the intermission, Manchester will play a 15 minute game against Dingham. It is really quite absurd.

Yeah, soccer games don't have either halftime shows or cheerleaders. I don't think rugby or cricket do either. Does baseball?

The cheerleader thing amazes me, though. You'd think Latins would be right into the idea and yet...

Originally posted by MILLO:

I don't think it's that they suck so badly... . [/QB]
I think that you are intentionally missing my point in your fervor to trash the Stones for playing this gig. Their appearing is only a symptom of a much larger problem.

We have a big problem in the form of corporate rock and roll today. The older bands maintain their audiences. The newer bands don't get a chance to build one. The Stones did not get international universal appeal because they hung around... lots of bands hung around, their records are on classic radio, and they are playing Holiday Inns.

The few bands that did make it really big did so on the strength of listener appeal, which is what got radio stations to play them in the first place, thereby making them classic, getting them on classic stations, and growing new listeners for the old music. So you've got the old fans that made them so popular, and newer fans who get exposed to their music on the radio.

Yes, the radio is perpetuating the Stones and bands like them, and this is because they don't know what else to play.... because they no longer listen to you, they tell you what they want you to hear.

Bands like Dave Mathews who make it IN SPITE of the radio... and I had bus tapes of DM way before I saw the first commercial release.. are rare. New acts have a much harder row to hoe than previous generations, and unless and until the feds step in and break up the radio monopolies, this will only get worse.

Believe me, the Menudo school of rock is rapidly approaching, where song writers are minimum wage slaves, performers are salaried employees, and the corporate bosses take home all the money. Be afraid...be very afraid.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Speaking of the Stones and marketing issues, has anyone else seen their little flash card album for sale? I was in Circuit City and saw that they are selling a little 1"x1" SmartCard type gizmo that has their latest album plus parts of 3 or 4 older ones (Exile, Tattoo U, ...) Has this little postage stamp album art and comes in this giant plastic package ( to help prevent theft I guess). First time I'd seen this type of media for sale. I guess it fits into some kinds of mp3 players. WTF?

And FWIW, I miss the big old jackets that the vinyl LPs came in. Remember you used to get posters and fake mustaches, etc, etc. in them? These little postage stamp chunks of plastic and silicon nowadays.... Such a shame! :-)

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by MILLO:

I don't think it's that they suck so badly... .
I think that you are intentionally missing my point in your fervor to trash the Stones for playing this gig. Their appearing is only a symptom of a much larger problem.

We have a big problem in the form of corporate rock and roll today. The older bands maintain their audiences. The newer bands don't get a chance to build one. The Stones did not get international universal appeal because they hung around... lots of bands hung around, their records are on classic radio, and they are playing Holiday Inns.

The few bands that did make it really big did so on the strength of listener appeal, which is what got radio stations to play them in the first place, thereby making them classic, getting them on classic stations, and growing new listeners for the old music. So you've got the old fans that made them so popular, and newer fans who get exposed to their music on the radio.

Yes, the radio is perpetuating the Stones and bands like them, and this is because they don't know what else to play.... because they no longer listen to you, they tell you what they want you to hear.

Bands like Dave Mathews who make it IN SPITE of the radio... and I had bus tapes of DM way before I saw the first commercial release.. are rare. New acts have a much harder row to hoe than previous generations, and unless and until the feds step in and break up the radio monopolies, this will only get worse.

Believe me, the Menudo school of rock is rapidly approaching, where song writers are minimum wage slaves, performers are salaried employees, and the corporate bosses take home all the money. Be afraid...be very afraid.

Bill [/QB]

Nope, I believe you and understand this point.Yeah, I also dread it.

However, I don't think this is the reason for the Stones playing at the game... I think it's just because they're already MORE than just mainstream, or accepted in "popular culture", they are PART of popular (or "populist" ;) ) culture. Also, I didn't WATCH the game, so I don't know if they sucked or not.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived