Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stones at halftime

LavaMan

I thought they were absolutely awful - guitars sounded out of tune, leads played over leads...hey it's cool that they are still doing this in their 60's - and it sounds like it too - like a bad garage band...They need to retire. You would think they have enough money by now....

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

Your One-Stop Custom Cable Shop

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rolling Stones should have stopped playing twenty years ago ... but I thought they sounded OK during the halftime show. I thought Charlie Watt and Ron Wood sounded pretty good. Mick Jagger sounded decent (reletive to other aging rockers like Robert Plant or Ozzy Osborne). It even sounded like the soundman put a little bit of Keith Richards' guitar in the mix (I wouldn't!). I don't think the Stones should be embarassed about how they played ... they should only be embarassed of booking the gig in the first place.

Short set, pretty ragged. Except for Mick, the rest of the Stones looked like they would rather be someplace else...and they should have chosen something else from their catalogue other than "Rough Justice."
John

I am totally unbiased, but that first touchdown Pitt had looked like horseshit to me. He fell before the line and weaseled in.

Everyone watched the replay and was amazed it was counted.

Anyways, Pitt kicked thier butt anyways. Actually I was rooting for Pitt just because I remember the 70's dynasty

The Stones sounded like utter poop! Total 5th grade garage band garbage. They really need to pack it in.

The Ben TD was the right call. When he was in the air the football broke the plane of the front of the white strip.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

Originally posted by robbue:

The Stones sounded like utter poop!

Having been involved in my share of these type of events, I can tell you that once you're out there, you really WOULD be almost anywhere else. It sucks. My hat is off to the Stones for daring to play live, when most nobody else will. That whole rig, with all of that additional crap too, was pushed into place on wheels, locked together, wired, and they were playing in less timne than it takes you to get your shit out of the trunk of your car and into the local bar.

I'm kinda proud of the thumbs up that I got from an ESPN cameraman when I ran off the field, slid behind the console, and jammed all the faders up, -exactly- when the msuic started. -Then- I tried to mix the show. Had I been a second later, ESPN would have gone live with no sound for the band.

That said, I really hate these things. I have no interest in seeing a concert during my football game. I want to think about football.

"The Ben TD was the right call. When he was in the air the football broke the plane of the front of the white strip."

It looked that way to us, too. Crossed it in the air, hunched to proytect the ball and was pushed back.

The camera angle was a little from the side so the angle could be deceptive, but if you watch the replay, the offical is running right down the goal line, in the perfect place to make the call.

But it still feels better to know that they won by more than a single score.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I generally dig most of the recordings that the Stones put out prior to and including "Some Girls" with the occasional decent tune after, but that gig today sounded like crap. I hope it was the sound guys or the network people or my 4 inch TV woofers that made it sound so bad. Without trying to start a war, I think they rightfully laid claim to being the greatest band in the world at various points in their career, but not today.

And I totally agree, they should have had Motown bands at halftime. Hell, even Diana Ross and the Crown Royals would have been better.

That was sad today. I'm sorry I watched it.

And I'm glad Pittsburgh won, but Seattle got no help from the refs.

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

They did sound like poop. I saw them for the first time on Vodoo Lounge tour. I'm glad I did. 5th row. I probably scared the band.

Can you imagine all the prep to get a sound? Well, Bill can anyway.

I wonder, when you play for millions of people, do you get nervous, even if it has been 40+ years?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Yeah, they sounded bad. Maybe someday I'll sound that bad. I don't know if I have to get better or get worse to get there.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, I though Stevie Wonder was disappointing. It sounded like it was thrown together. That's my take.

Hey, nice goin' Steelers. Bettis is a class act and I'm happy to see him go out with a ring. And it's time for him to retire. The guy can barely walk.

And I can't stand Seattle. Mainly cause they're the new dominant team in the NFC West, which really burns me. Mark my word, next year it's the Rams!!!

I ate myself into a coma today.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Wow, I didn't know Bill was doing the show. Obviously I'm ignorant, and glad that he pointed out a couple of what I'm sure are many difficulties involved with trying to sandwich a Stones gig into a halftime show. Maybe there's hope for the boys yet!
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

"Half-Time Show" aughtta mean that you played everything in sped-up double-time 2/2 to get the gig over with 'cause the Mau-Maus were advancing towards the City Limits... ;):D

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

"That said, I really hate these things. I have no interest in seeing a concert during my football game. I want to think about football."

Yeah, I'm not much of a jock by any stretch of the imagination, never followed any sports much (I'd rather go to a live game with friends than watch it on TV), but, yeah, this half-time crap is... just crap, even the best of it. It never seemed too necessary to me.

While this Stones Half-Time gig on TV wasn't anything to keep my interest- I hardly watched any of it!- I've seen and heard worse (Gawd, Gwen Steffani (sp?) can't sing live, and David Bowie is such a seasoned-pro!)...

It's like I explained to my Mom and Dad, to whom the Stones are just another loud new unpleasant rock and roll band: I like a lot of their recorded stuff from over the years, and Keith Richards' brand of playing, but I couldn't care too much less for hoopla like these events...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by WornNeck:

Wow, I didn't know Bill was doing the show.

No, I didn't do the show. I've done many halftime shows, though. Logistically, they are a nightmare. From a practical standpoint, they are pretty stupid. It might not be so bad if you only had to get the band and a stage and monitors and a PA and some lighting out there, and make sure that everything was wired and working... all in 10-12 minutes. But then you have to have all of the fucking shit, and all of the dancers, banners, pyro, smoke machines, and other piles of total nonsense...it is really a large PITA, made worse because you have a bunch of people above you on the food chain with no clue, running around yelling and getting in the way of the people who know what they are doing and need people to get out of the way so that they can do it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

They did sound like poop. I saw them for the first time on Vodoo Lounge tour. I'm glad I did. 5th row. I probably scared the band.

Can you imagine all the prep to get a sound? Well, Bill can anyway.

I wonder, when you play for millions of people, do you get nervous, even if it has been 40+ years?

Nahh... what happens is that people assure you of a bunch of stuff that doesn't happen. Then you get out there, and maybe you can hear yourself, or maybe your getting a half to second and a half delay. The two guitar players appeared to be in some distress, so I'm figuring that their in ears were hosed up in some fashion... who knows what they were hearing, but it wasn't what they needed. The drummer seemed fine, the bass player seemed fine. You can't tell about Mick, simply because he is and always has been a fine showman.. no matter what is going on on stage or behind the scenes, he's giving the audience what they came for. He might not have been able to hear a thing, but you would never know that.

But you get out there, and there is no sound check (in the traditional sense) there is no time to get comfortable, there are TV guys trying to make sure that you get off in time (did you see the timers on the stage??? Did you catch Mick acknowleging directions about when to stop? He was probably getting them through his in ears. Did you see the band trying to run off as their time was up, and Mick basically saying "Fuck You, the band is taking a bow?" I thought that was pretty cool.)

Anyway, I think that it was clear that the band coulsd not play together, probably could not hear each other correctly. I think that they did a good job, in that they dared to play live, and they managed to stumble through it without imploding.

Nobody mentioned how awful the opening ceremonies were, with the wireless mic that was crapping out, and the really bad mix, and those horrible horrible dancers....

Which brings up another point... yeah, the MoTown stuff was thrown together to appease Detroit. Was it stupid to overlook the history of the host town when booking the halftime act? Yeah, it was. Did it help to cram a half-assed (sort of) local act show in front of the game? I don't think so. That was really, really bad. Almost offensively so.

Bill

Steve Martin

It's easy to be the Monday morning QB, huh? I wonder how many of us would have:

A. Had the balls to do it in the first place.

B. Sounded any better if we did (whether we were in our 50's and 60's or not).

It's also easy to say "They need to quit." and "They should have quit 20 years ago." and "They should have enough money by now."

How many of us have done things not for the money but because it's what we love to do? How many of us have said "I hope I can keep doing this as long as I live."?

As long as the Stones are selling out concerts within minutes of the tickets going on sale at $300+ per seat, why should they quit? The fact that they can sell these venues out tells me that people still want to see the show.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Yea they sounded not together, and I think I know why, they couldn't hear! it was obvious and the guitar players where taking ques from Watts and some from Mic and the bass player. I can tell ya one thing if you heard the Stones on this tour thats going on right now you would think they are great! I do NOT understand why they did the Super Bowl in the first place, they know those things are a complete mess. Ya and here's another thing about MoTown people doing the half time show..FUCK THEM!!all of them...they LEFT DETROIT for LA didn't they and as much as said hay Detroit KISS OUR fat West coast ass didn't they!!!! Ya they Smokey gets on there and says YA Detroit needs a shot in the arm!! He makes me sick!!! Arethia ass should be in jail for arson!! anyway after that little incident with the mansion burning down! I'm glad the Stones did the half time so those MoTown assholes didn't get top billing!!!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Yea they sounded not together, and I think I know why, they couldn't hear! it was obvious and the guitar players where taking ques from Watts and some from Mic and the bass player. I can tell ya one thing if you heard the Stones on this tour thats going on right now you would think they are great! I do NOT understand why they did the Super Bowl in the first place, they know those things are a complete mess. Ya and here's another thing about MoTown people doing the half time show..FUCK THEM!!all of them...they LEFT DETROIT for LA didn't they and as much as said hay Detroit KISS OUR fat West coast ass didn't they!!!! Ya they Smokey gets on there and says YA Detroit needs a shot in the arm!! He makes me sick!!! Arethia ass should be in jail for arson!! anyway after that little incident with the mansion burning down! I'm glad the Stones did the half time so those MoTown assholes didn't get top billing!!!!

Lee!! Calm down, dude....there....you OK now? Don't stroke out on us, Man...it'll be OK.

You have to give the Stones a lot of credit for doing an extremely difficult venue to begin with. The fact is, as someone else already pointed out, they don't need the money...Exposure? They sure don't need that...they're already the best known band in the universe....hmmm...they must have done it because they love to perform, huh? SO, if some folks want to rip on them because they didn't sound like they were in the studio or in an engineered concert venue...well, I guess those folks obviously could have done it better themselves.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I reckon I don't care how bad the stones sounded. I think they should retire when they want and at no other time. Frankly, getting on in age myself and wanting to keep working (and playing) until the freakin cows come home, or the fat lady sings, I'm getting pretty sick of all the young punks telling the old guys to hang it up. (yes, I said punks :D ). Did you ever hear of an off button? I think the stones should put on a live concert each year to celebrate livlihood. I'll be watching and cheering over all the sour notes.

As for the game, I'm a Seahawks hater because I'm a Rams fan, but they were on the bad end of some poor calls. I think the officials should have stayed out of it more.

It didn't appear to me as though Roethlisberger put the ball to the plane of the goal at any time. If it had been marked on the one inch line, that call would have held up under review as well. I think the official was going to mark it short and had second thoughts.

Boring game over all. Both teams acted like they wanted to win by default. Not one of our better superbowls. Maybe they should all retire. ;)

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck:

I reckon I don't care how bad the stones sounded. I think they should retire when they want and at no other time. Frankly, getting on in age myself and wanting to keep working (and playing) until the freakin cows come home, or the fat lady sings, I'm getting pretty sick of all the young punks telling the old guys to hang it up. (yes, I said punks :D ). Did you ever hear of an off button? I think the stones should put on a live concert each year to celebrate livlihood. I'll be watching and cheering over all the sour notes.

As for the game, I'm a Seahawks hater because I'm a Rams fan, but they were on the bad end of some poor calls. I think the officials should have stayed out of it more.

It didn't appear to me as though Roethlisberger put the ball to the plane of the goal at any time. If it had been marked on the one inch line, that call would have held up under review as well. I think the official was going to mark it short and had second thoughts.

Boring game over all. Both teams acted like they wanted to win by default. Not one of our better superbowls. Maybe they should all retire. ;)

:thu:

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I saw Keith motioning that he needed something more in his monitor. Yeah, what a mess that has to be to do that. No sound check. Eesh.

It seems to me that, at times, the Stones are a corporation that used to be a rock band. I can't get excited about a Stones CD sold at Starbucks. Has anyone else seen the Stones stuff at Starbucks? Granted, it may be a different story once I hear the music, but once I see the CD next to an in-store promo for Mocha Java Mint Chocolate Chip Decaf Frappe heavy whip, I feel some edge is lost somewhere.

Also, I'm not taking the proverbial musical high-road saying I'd never do that, because money talks and distribution in Starbucks has a lot to say.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I think it is smart. I've been in Starbucks a lot more than I've been in a CD store in the last three years. Rack space for any artist in Starbucks is a good idea, even better than in Borders or Barnes and Noble, because the clientele is focused, and the rack space is limited. While buying a cup of coffee or tea, I can browse the whole rack and think abou tit. I've never bought there, but I would.

Bill

Steve Martin

Well, no matter what, I think everyone here'll agree that it was much better than LASTyear's Super Bowl Half-Time Show... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

think abou tit.

I think about that sometimes, too. :D
...although aparently it's still fresh in our memories... ;):thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived