Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gifthorse

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avatars have a big following in the bass community. Go over to the Lowdown & try a search.

I assume their guitar cabs are good too.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

there's an orange 2x12 posted for sale on Austin's craig's list. Check it out.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/130866599.html

I've been thinking also about buying a cab from Avatar but don't know yet, since first I'd need to know what amp to buy. I think if I end up buying from them, I'll put an Eminence Swamp Thang and an Eminence Tonker in it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I've got an avatar 412 special with Celestion 12H30s, and I dig it alot, although it hasn't been given the gigging trial by fire yet (I bought it just as my old band was breakingup).

For the sound, I've played the same amp through a lot of marshall cabinets (different models), and I always liked the Avatar more. The only cabinet I played through that I liked as much was a beat-up H&K that a drummer buddy of mine's old guitarist had. Alas, I couldn't A/B the cabinets.

Edit:

Oh! I forgot to mention. One of the reasons I went with Avatar is I saw the Hot Snakes roll through DC on their tour where John was playing through 2 Avatar 2x12s. This was definitely not the beginning of their tour, and everything looked and sounded in order.

Thought that i would mention the THD cab, though we have been talking about it selswhere.... it is SMALL. I don't remember how it specs out against the Avatar in terms of size, but it is really a pretty handy size.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I know someone who has one of the G412 cabinets from Avatar. It has four Celestion G12T-75s in it and it sounds great. It sounds just like my old Marshall 1960B cabinet, IMHO. The fit and finish on the cab is excellent. He gigs with it and has the scars to prove it (on the cab). It seems to hold up well.

Born on the Bayou

Not yet. The price and the reviews I have read have been great. The guy who wrote that review, is a solid musician and I trust his judgement.

The funny thing is I have an old Fender Cabinet I use with 2x12 celestions in them. Sounds great but looks a little odd with a new Carvin Amp Head. I would just like to get something that looks a little nicer in my music room. Plus a change of speakers might be interestion sound wise.

I just ordered an avatar 2x12 today... just to experiment: a Swamp Thang and a Tonker in it, closed back--not sure if I should've gone the open back route. I bought an old Fender Twin Reverb 2 Head last night. We'll see if I fucked up w/ this(these) decision(s)...

Anyhow, I saw that same head model go for $600 on ebay two weeks ago, and the footswitch for about $130. Maybe I can get a profit from it if I decide it's not what I'm looking for.

I still WANT to get a used Koch Multitone 100, so if you guys know of anyone wanting to sell theirs, let me know!

....funny, I just read that review Dazed posted and that's exactly the speaker combo I got! Mine is totally new, though, so $364.

My MySpace Space

God, I hope it rocks. I want one too now but I am still scared it will sound like my old Crate or something.

I used to have a Crate cab when I first started and it sounded good to a beginner, then when I compared it to my buddies Orange it sounded like the speakers were set in Styrofoam. probably cuz the cabinet was particle board.

I have read nothing but good things about Avatar. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I bought an old Fender Twin Reverb 2 Head last night. We'll see if I fucked up w/ this(these) decision(s)...

If it's that red knob from fj that thing should rock.
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

I bought an old Fender Twin Reverb 2 Head last night. We'll see if I fucked up w/ this(these) decision(s)...

If it's that red knob from fj that thing should rock.
Nope, it's not. I thought YOU got that.

It's a Rivera-designed thing from the 80's. I already tried it at the seller's home, liked it and liked how the FD-2 worked in front of it, but I did NOT try it w/ a 2x12--used a 2x10 Dr. Z cab. Once my Avatar arrives (can't wait!!!) I need to try it and re-try it to determine if it's good for me. We'll see what happens.

My MySpace Space

Lee I know Orange is my favorite but they are so expensive. I wonder if Avatar is really as good.

They say that you are ordering direct from the factory that is why they are cheap. I dunno, I have always believed you get what you pay for, but there are rare instances that prove this philosophy wrong.

The speaker selections are real nice. I have read nothing but favorable reviews.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

The more I have read into it, the more I think Avatar might actually have something great to offer.

Millo let me know what you think of yours when u get it.

I'll let you know, but I have to warn you: I won't really know what I'm talking about, since this would be my first head/cab rig ever. ;) Also, it'll get here around Friday/Saturday at the earliest, I think.

My MySpace Space

Archived