Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

199.00 Gibson /Baldwin/BestBuy/WTF

Darklava

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty cool, though.

If you click on either of the instruments, a large picture appears with every part of the guitar labelled. That's really smart to educate parents before they buy an entry level instrument. Armed with that information they can ask questions at Gibson Customer Support instead of being glossed over by salespeople looking for a quick sale. (And, of course, the likelyhood at Best Buy is the salespeople will be completely clueless about instruments anyway. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

These things are only $200 (the SG is $179). They "look" pretty good in the pictures. No idea what kind of quality we're talking here. My guess is the price will go up significantly very soon.

I think I'm going to see if our local BestBuy has any this evening. I'll take my Rockman in case they have one out that can be played (probably not likely but you never know).

Born on the Bayou

took a look at the pictures on Best Buy's site - and noticed that the "LP" model has a bolt-on neck. Which means that it should be about the same quality has the lower-end Epiphone models, which are of course made in China.
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

If you look at the specs page on both, the bodies are made of plywood with wood veneers. They probably don't sound that good because of the cheap materials. I'm going to check them out anyway. At least then I'd have some idea of whether they are worth the price (my guess is they probably aren't).

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

"...of course, the likelyhood at Best Buy is the salespeople will be completely clueless about instruments anyway." ;)

And that's any different from an awful lot of 'regular' music/guitar stores?

:rolleyes::mad:;)

I think that's kinda cool; note the 5 year warranty, and the fact that the two models will very likely appeal to both kids who've seen the School of Rock movie, and parents (the actual purchasers) with Classic Rock's iconic images in the back of their minds...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Interesting that this Signature Lines series does not have Gibson or Les Paul written anywhere on the headstock, etc.

What I have noticed as of this past Christmas season is that a lot more large retailers are carrying entry level electric guitars/bass/keys, amps and effects.

I think I noticed that SAM GOODEE had these Gibsons or something very similar on sale and I know Target has half an aisle in their electronics section filled with some other brand entry level stuff - maybe First Act? Heck, even Toys R Us has full size,entry level electric guitars for sale.

On one side its good that these instruments are more easily available to the public but there is next to no expert customer service to be found.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by rw2003:

I think I noticed that SAM GOODEE had these Gibsons or something very similar on sale...

Ahhh, yes. I own a thing called an "Epi" which I bought off eBay thinking "Epi" was short for "Epiphone". I mean, it's what people NORMALLY mean by "Epi"

But no, the headstock says "Epi" and nothing else.

I contacted Gibson CS and my guitar turned out to be a cheap, Chinese guitar which Gibson made for places like Sam Goody's and so on.

Mine even came with a sticker saying some guy called "Yoon" or something had done the QC and a neck crack near the 10th fret which my luthier tells me probably occured on the production line. :rolleyes:

The crack cost 30 bucks to fix and well, it's not a GREAT guitar, but it's fairly ok. Kinda.

What if Gibson made a line of Pinata guitars? Instead of creape paper and newspaper construction, they could employ particle board with wood veneers and instead of candy would be filled with coupons, guitar pics, and autographs. When you get sick of the $#!**% guitar you smash it open and maybe yours will be the lucky one in 5000 that will have the "free les paul" coupon inside!
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Archived