Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock And Roll Duds?

Kramer Ferrington III.

I was wondering about some albums I've never gotten around to buying.

Bear in mind that I post from work and I can't really listen to online samples.

Have you guys ever owned any of the following?

• Jammin' With Edward
  • The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions
  • The Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus
  • Any of the Fat Mattress albums

What do you think of 'em? Are any of them worth buying?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Jammin' With Edward"

Not for me. It was a snooze, by my tastes.

"The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions"

If you are a blues fan, maybe. Certainly a piece of blues history. (shrug)

"The Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus"

That DVD is sitting on my coffee table right now. When my lady comes by tonight, we will watch it. I've seen it, and... as I am a great fan of pop music from that time period... I enjoyed it very much. It is also a little sad, Re: my favorite rocker, Brian Jones.

If you get the DVD, Pete Townsend does a -very- long and cool modern day interview discussing the entire event and the various plans around it. If you care about music from this time period, you'll probably love it. I know that I did.

"Any of the Fat Mattress albums"

Gee... I haven't heard any of these for 25 years.

In my opinion, the Stones catalog is much like the Hendrix catalog... the original releases were great. The post-released stuff.... well, you really gotta be a fan. With the Stones, there are a whole pile of very forgettable albums between Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, then more of the same, with a few good ones popping out now and again. (Don't let my gal see this.. to her the Stones are GOD!!!!!)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I used to have "Jamming With Edward". I think Ry Cooder and Nicky Hopkins are on it. What I remember always struck me as a bunch of guys getting together (who happened to be the Stones) with some friends and someone said "Hey, let's tape this".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Lee,

A few years ago, I may have given you an argument about the Stones but the fact that these guys are still tickin' says a lot.

The fact that Keith Richards is still alive says a lot.

I never thought much of Keith Richards until I saw him in a concert shortly after Katrina hit to raise money for New Orleans. He did a song onstage (can't remember) and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I expected him to hack his way through it just because he was Keith Richards. However, he surprised me and did a great job.

As I age, I find myself giving some artists a second look (topic of one of my threads) so who knows? I could be a Stones fan someday.

No way in hell do I pay $500.00 to seem them in concert. I'd rather put that towards a guitar... or a David Lee Roth/Van Halen reunion.

I'm a big Wolf fan, so I find "The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions" interesting, but flawed. The Wolf CD with both "Moanin' at Midnight" and the Rocking Chair cover album packaged together is a much better Howlin' Wolf disc to get. In fact, I consider that disc to be an indispensible part of anyone's CD collection.

Originally posted by KPB:

Lee,

A few years ago, I may have given you an argument about the Stones but the fact that these guys are still tickin' says a lot.

The fact that Keith Richards is still alive says a lot.

I never thought much of Keith Richards until I saw him in a concert shortly after Katrina hit to raise money for New Orleans. He did a song onstage (can't remember) and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I expected him to hack his way through it just because he was Keith Richards. However, he surprised me and did a great job.

As I age, I find myself giving some artists a second look (topic of one of my threads) so who knows? I could be a Stones fan someday.

No way in hell do I pay $500.00 to seem them in concert. I'd rather put that towards a guitar... or a David Lee Roth/Van Halen reunion.

Yep their career is just nothing short of amazing! the nastiest business in the world and to be on top or near the top all those years is just nuts!! With Keith I always think of the song writing he has done and the hits he has been responsible for the gift of being able so many times to read the market and deliver the goods! AND live ..what a show, true masters of the art of Super Stardom...it's a great thing to see. Ya know what God bless em...they added allot of pleasure to my life and over the years I have just appreciated their contributions more and more.

I still have the original "London Howlin Wolf Session" LP... but cannot remember the last time I played it. From what I can recall, it was more of a commercial operation and definitely not a musical masterpiece, but maybe I should listen to it again (if I can make my turntable work, that is...) :freak:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

I'm a big Wolf fan, so I find "The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions" interesting, but flawed. The Wolf CD with both "Moanin' at Midnight" and the Rocking Chair cover album packaged together is a much better Howlin' Wolf disc to get. In fact, I consider that disc to be an indispensible part of anyone's CD collection.

Yeah, I think we're on the same track. If you want good Wolf, go elswhere. If you want good Stones, go elsewhere. If you are curious, well.. there it is...

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by ellwood:

Ya know what God bless em...they added allot of pleasure to my life and over the years I have just appreciated their contributions more and more.

Well, I still play a LOT of Stones on my MP3 player and I particularly love bootlegs from the early 70s (tr: "with Mick Taylor") but I don't see the point of buying any of their recent albums: I haven't liked anything since "Tattoo You", and that was 22 years ago (groan). I've been told that the new album is pretty good. I might look into that, for old's time's sake. I'm waiting on a friend, you might say.

So yeah, I love the Stones as much as the next man but to me, it's almost as if they'd broken up in 1975 or thereabouts.

Hence my interest in late 60s/early 70s Stones albums, one offs and all that. I want to get some Nicky Hopkins solo stuff as well. If I can't go forward, I may as well go sideways.

Fat Mattress is a band I've always been curious about, because I get the impression Noel Redding felt severely f*cked over by being in the Experience. He wanted to do his own things but was in Hendrix's shadow for the rest of his life. I wonder if he would have preferred to have taken the blue pill. ;)

Yea Vince, Noel should thank Hendrix for even having him in the Experience! The opportunity got him in the spotlight for long enough. If he would have had great contributions to put forward after the Experience he certainly had enough push with the recording industry to have his material looked at. Out of the four or so years he was with the Experience I wonder how many real opportunities he had that where passed by because he was with Hendrix I bet none.

yeah - Stones occupies a lot on my Ipod - the early years especially when they were R&B, also Howlin' Wolf too as I'm a "Wolfman"... I do his versions of Moanin', Killin' Floor (way up the neck) and Lil' Red Rooster as his was the purist... the Stones did so many good R&B recordings - the early cover stuff including "England's Newest Hit Makers" and "12 X 5" are my favorites. I have literally every Animal recording ever made I think too - the early stuff AGAIN is their best work... I have a 31 gig MP3 collection including RARE Hendrix - even have Jimi practicing in his NY Apt. and him playing a banjo! Clapton is still KING though in my eyes... I collect His DVD stuff too including the Sessions for Robert J, Live at Hyde Park, Cream Reunion, etc. "5 Long Years" on his Hyde Park DVD is one of my favorites right now as well as the Reunion 2-DVD set. Guess who plays "White Room" almost everyday ;)
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Yea Vince, Noel should thank Hendrix for even having him in the Experience! .....

I forget exactly what the story was, but if I'm remembering correctly, Noel was originally a part of a project that in mid-stream made a left turn to become the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Noel never wanted to be a bass player, he got 'bumped'. His two choices... quit, or play bass.

I also believe that, due to the way that the band was assembled, Noel and Mitch didn't ever really get the kind of money out of the project as one might expect.

Anyway, that is the way that I remember it. Might or might not be true. All I can say is, if you thought that you had a talent, and you joined a project, and the project changed but you hung in there (wanna bet management shined him on???), and saw all that money coming in, and none of it going to you, and all of your attempts to creatively participate were shut down, yeah, you'd probably be bitter. Even if you weren't a bit of a twit to start with.

Bill

Steve Martin

Yea Vince, Noel should thank Hendrix for even having him in the Experience! The opportunity got him in the spotlight for long enough...

I don't know.

I remember a 70s GP interview with him where he went to some pains to make sure people realized that Hendrix had given him and Mitch Mitchell a lot of leeway to write their parts. He said something like "People think it was all Hendrix, man, but a lot of it was us as well" which sounded as if he felt a bit underappreciated.

If he felt that way, it's a pity, he's one of those people I always wanted to meet. If one of you older forumites used to know him and found him to be an asshole, please don't tell me ;)

Yea Vince, Noel should thank Hendrix for even having him in the Experience! The opportunity got him in the spotlight for long enough. If he would have had great contributions to put forward after the Experience he certainly had enough push with the recording industry to have his material looked at. Out of the four or so years he was with the Experience I wonder how many real opportunities he had that where passed by because he was with Hendrix I bet none.

Yeh I think your right about Noel may he R.I.P
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived