Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians In Society

Eric Iverson

Personally, and I have been an avid reader of autobiographies, and biographies...

I think that in MOST cases, people that are not only famous, but famous for being innovators, or for contributing some exciting new directions were less than stellar mates, parents, or people with regards their own inner circle.

I think this has to do with that they are either driven (in which case, severely absent from the everyday life stuff, and world their aquantences live in) and/or also obsessed with "the public"...meaning needing of love from the faceless "public" and having that take more importance than their own inner circle.

There are exceptions, but really...so many people I look up to, admire, and respect in their fields..especially music and authors, were very innattentive to their own mates, kids, etc.

There are only so many hours in a day, and you can only be in one place at a time. Also, whatever drives some geniuses to the pinnacles, the leading edges, also isolates them often, making them detached and alone.

I'm not talking about people famous just to be famous, though I imagine they also are no picnic.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking more about it, don't tell any professional painters you know about the gorilla, or they will contact the PP Union and sue the gorillas for unfair competition!

But what if gorillas take up the guitar? Scary thought! Or hairy thought, more accurately...

To Blues Without Blame: I don't know about "avid reader", but I like to read biographies and autobiographies, too.. if they're honest, at least! Because after all, the person in question is a human being the same as you and me... or am I missing something!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Thinking more about it, don't tell any professional painters you know about the gorilla, or they will contact the PP Union and sue the gorillas for unfair competition!

But what if gorillas take up the guitar? Scary thought! Or hairy thought, more accurately...

To Blues Without Blame: I don't know about "avid reader", but I like to read biographies and autobiographies, too.. if they're honest, at least! Because after all, the person in question is a human being the same as you and me... or am I missing something!

I don't know. My point was, Ive read a lot of bigraphies of musicians I really appreciate, and like...and think were something special. And in many of the cases, that's what came out (I actually amd not reading for the "dirt" but interest in how they work, get inspired, etc.)

that they were not great at the everyday things, paying bills, parenting (often as the chum but not as a real parent with responsibilites), mate.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

PS And now I, an artistic minded person, clearly no genius, and clearly no gorilla, have to pay some bills I forgot to pay, being more concerned with artistic issues..

It's true, our focus is different!

That's no excuse for being a murderer or raping little boys.. I think it's a different issue.

But I think we've all made our points here, whether geniuses or gorillas or a little of both... thanks guys for all your input!

Archived