Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update on my guitar lessons for anyone that cares

EmptinesOf Youth

So today was the second time meeting with my guitar instructor (i have it once a week) and i can already see me learning stuff, if that makes sense.

The first day we kinda just went over what i knew and what i didnt know and loosely laid out a plan of attack. My knowledge of music theory is by no means comprihensive but i can sheet music and so it seems were gonna expand upon that. Basically music theory applied to the guitar, mixed in with some actual guitar stuff.

One of the biggest things it seems he want to concentrate on is my technique. Ive never thought of myself as a super sloppy player (i do the thing with my thumb where i keep it at the top of the neck, dont use my pinky for power chords and apparently im not pressin down with the very tips of my fingers enough) so these are habits that i gotta learn to change. Boy is that hard. I couldnt even keep my thumb in the place he wanted it, it just reverted back to the norm for me. This area is gonna be hard after 4 or 5 years of playin how i wanted. Also, to complicate things further, i broke my pinky years back and didnt get it set, and it kinda locks up in certain positions and so ive grown to avoid using it. Thats gonna change too i guess.

Other than that though im studying all the major scales right now, which i have a clue about before, and i got the 6th and 5th major and minor barre chord forms down, which i also didnt know before. So over all its goin good and I AM learning so i guess thats whats important. Thought id let you guys know, also i noticed alot of posts about teaching lately and if anybody wants to know details about exactly what were doin to help themselves, feel free to ask.

Ryan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scatterbrain:

i do the thing with my thumb where i keep it at the top of the neck, dont use my pinky for power chords and apparently im not pressin down with the very tips of my fingers enough) so these are habits that i gotta learn to change.

So does that mean you're supposed to use your pinky for powerchords? :confused:

Hay looks like he has you on the right track! Yea on the thumb over thing, I do that too but did learn the traditional barrs long before,so i just use them interchangeably I guess depending where and what I'm doing in a certain song. Does he have you getting used to having your finger tips as close to the fret wire as possiable? he should if he's not.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Does he have you getting used to having your finger tips as close to the fret wire as possiable? he should if he's not.

Hey, funny you should mention that, Lee.

The other night I remembered you posting on that very subject and decided to make real sure I was fretting as close to the wire as possible.

But, strangely, I couldn't hear any difference. What's meant to happen? Is the sound meant to be cleaner or ring better?

I'm, as usual, playing baritone. Could the tone difference be lost on the heavier strings? :confused:

I'm not sure on the baratone Vince? I have never played one, not even once. The thinking on the close to the fret wire position is that maximum pressure is put at the wire for possiably a more pure tone. It is said that finger effects like vibratos are more effective done close to the wire. It is someting I was always taught as far back as I can remember.

Archived