Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many guys have old tapes of their long ago groups?

Dr. Ellwood

I have some, not as many as I would like too! What a blast to sit back sometimes and listen and think about events and former band mates. My best friend who is gone now was in one of them, how great it is to hear him play again. I have some of a practice done at my house, three houses ago! and listening to the talk between us about songs and discussing how to do things or kiddng around with each other is great!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have the demo tape from a band that I was in back in the early 80's. We did all originals and I still love listening to it. The material was really good.

I also have work tapes and performance tapes of an original music duo I was in back in 2004. Real good music as well.

I need to figure out how to transfer the casette recordings to CD. I keep worrying that I will lose the 80's band demo or that the tape player will eat it one day and that music will be lost ( I do have one duplicate of that tape but thats all).

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I still have a live tape from the 80s and a lot of jam tapes and CDs. I used to have a bit of a scrapbook as well but I've lost it while moving.

I sometimes pull the 80s tape out, for people that have never heard it and have stated an interest in hearing it, but the jam tapes I never bother with. There's usually too much junk in between the good bits and I'm not vain enough to edit some silly jam tape.

tapes of everything since highschool. I now tape *every* gig. I just set up an old VHS with a mic somewhere and let it go.

I have about 50 hours of tapes from a highschool band, (mid 80's). A few years ago I put together a "best of" CD compilation, complete with desktop published booklet.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

luckily i've been able to record cd's with most of the bands i've been in so, i have plenty to look back on.

one of my favorite bands was called Peach, and we were doing blues and funk. great short lived band that never managed to record anything. fortunately our drummer videotaped one of our shows at a nicer venue in town, i totally cherish that video now.

I have recordings from the mid to late 1980's, from my first band in high school and two successive bands in college. I transferred some to digital, but I haven't taken the time for most of it. (I don't have a decent cassette player to transfer from.

I regret losing material that's irreplaceable. Among those tapes are a cassette a singer from another band I was in borrowed to listen to a song we were working on. "I promise to take good care of it." It had the only copies of several songs I did with previous bands and in a studio when I was in college. Bad enough I handed the tape to my buddy whose father owned the studio and he handed it back with a copy of a song we were working on... and blank space on part of a song from the other side. He'd dubbed the song on a Tascam 133 (?) which could write time code to one track that normally would be part of the other side of the cassette. But then, to have that song and the one he'd mangled a bit, both unique copies, lost... that hurt. :mad:

I have a few songs we never finished that, though the recordings were really bad (boom box in the center of the room for a rock band), the performances shine through. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm sort of an obsessive self-archivist. I have tapes (now CDs) of almost every band I've been in since 1972. I listen to some of them now and then and even have some on my 30GB MP3 player. It's great to be able to listen and think about those times. Some of it is really good, some of it no one else would appreciate. :-)

When I first started converting them to CD's it was using a VERY slow computer, with very little RAM, slow hard disk and slow CD burner and it was a very time-consuming process. These days I make a soundboard recording with a mini-disc recorder, transfer it to computer, divide it in to tracks and burn it in less than an hour.

I have several tapes, from studio works to cheap basement rehearsals, that I come across every now and then. I'll listen to a minute or two and think, "what garbage" and put it back. Recently, I was trying to find tapes to record our last show on my 4-track; I was almost out of fresh tapes. I was tempted to record over some rehearsal tapes from my last band; but somehow just couldn't. I'm a pack rat at heart.

It's amusing when I come across the first studio tape, from my first band; we actually got some local airplay with that cheesy song! They edited out half of my solo; and the other guitarist, who was very good, is now getting some press as singer for a deathmetal band! Ah, the paths we choose...

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I`m always disappointed in my performance on my old stuff when I listen to it but the overall vibe of the music is usually fun. I`ve found an `AV Center` not too far from here that can not only convert casettes to CD fairly cheaply but then convert the CDs to MP3, I`ve already had one done but I`m waiting for an upcoming recording session before posting anything.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have some, some of them recorded live professionally, that were made available to people who went to the meetings.

I recently restarted a friendship with a guy who was my "guitar guru" when I was 16 and he was 25. We recorded some things we did back then.. 36 years ago as it happens! I'd love to hear those old tapes... gotta ask him if he can find them! I hope he didn't throw them out or tape over them!

Oh, yeah, while we're talking about this old stuff..

I have a tape I transferred to CD of a "Wacky Weenie" my brother and I wrote for Jonathan Brandmeier's morning show on WLUP in Chicago in 1989. Right after the song, as we recorded it with my band, is an excerpt from the radio when it was first played on air.

My bro was obsessed with a joke involving Brandmeier's sidekick and newsman, Buzz Kilman.

Some plumbers left an open hole in the wall and went to lunch. Kilman's cat went into the wall, the plumbers returned, finished the work and sealed the hole. Buzz heard meows coming from inside the wall and, of course, couldn't find the cat. The cat was eventually liberated from the wall, but the joke resurfaced from time to time, complete with sound effects of people stuck behind a door or wall, knocking and shouting (muffled) "Let me out!"

My brother wanted to write a Wacky Weenie about it, as intro to Buzz's news reports. (Brandmeier had Wacky Weenies professionally produced by his own band, as well as ones submitted by listeners and a few real songs that fit the on-air personality of his cohorts.)

The next time the cat/people-stuck-in-the-wall joke came up, he asked me to write the music and he wrote lyrics. It was pretty funny on its' own. But then we rushed over to my bandmate's house and recorded it on a cassette 4-track, with the band adding background noises and peanut-gallery comments. I was ready to re-record those backgrounds when my brother suggested the dumber it sounded, the better chance it would be aired.

He dropped it off at the station the next day, and pestered Brandmeier's producer several times the next morning.. There was one more news report in the show and we hadn't heard it aired. They played another song (Put A Good Buzz On) for Buzz, so we thought we'd been rebuked. Instead, the first song ended and Johnny said, "Give us a twin spin on the man." and in came my guitar playing. :thu: I wasn't a regular listener at that time, so I never heard it air again, but my buddies told me they used it from time to time.

It's my one, performing, claim to fame. Mediocre, I know, but it's mine. :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm pretty sure my first live recording is on 8-track. :freak: (Thankfully I transferred it to cassette way back when.)

Like others, it's like a trip down memory lane, like looking through a photo album or scrapbook.

At my reunion I got back in touch with my h.s. band mates, and ended up with mp3s from a boombox recording of original songs we were working on. I had no other copies of these, so it was a treat to get them!

The band rehearsal boombox tapes are quite funny to listen to. Originally I wanted to edit these to CD -- cutting out the banter -- but then realized that that was half the fun! Unfortunately, I haven't had time; I put that project away when struggling with the same issues as Guitar55 (old, slow computers).

In one band I was in the drummer made decent cassette recordings of all our rehearsals. We never ended up going anywhere, but we rawked his basement with some serious "Immigrant Song", "Crazy on You", "Highway Star", "Lord of Your Thighs", etc. I'd love to have a copy, but chances are they are no more.

When I was younger, my philosophy was always that I could always play the song again, so why bother recording it? Now I treasure the old recordings and wish I had more of them. Just like old photos, they show how we once were, and how we mature and age.

Archived