Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wonderful thing happened today

Jason Donnell

--Story of the Day-- (which has never happened to me before so I thought I'd share)

Yesterday at work a guy learned that I play guitar and told me he has a couple. I asked him what they were and he said he has " A 1908-1930's Gibson Tenor and a 1974 Martin D-18" As you can imagine he had my full attention. He didn't know much about the Gibson other than, the way the name is written on the headstock.. none of the letters drop below any of the other.. and on the inside at the base of the neck the number 246 . Today he brought them to work and showed them to me. Then Gibson is a 4 string, 12 fret guitar that was in pretty bad shape. The Martin is in very sound shape with the only problems I could see were that the pick gaurd is pealing off around the edges and curling up, --like it had gotten hot???--- and there were hairline cracks in the laquer finish -again looking like it was caused by heat -- Come to find out they had been in his Attic for awhile ??!!?? For a split second I contiplated giving him a throat punch and shattering his nose (old Marine coming out I guess) Which I wouldn't have done but, well, you guys can sure appreciate my instinct on this one. ---** And now for the best part**--- he handed them to me and said "Here, take 'em home with ya" I didn't know what to say, I just stood there for about 10 seconds dumbfounded.

I wasn't about to take the old Gibson as it was in bad shape but I did take the Martin. I've spent the last 2 hours cleaning and polishing it, putting olive oil on the fretboard so it will swell and make sure the frets are tight. Everything looked dried out on it. Now its just beautiful with its cherry sunburst, and the hairline cracks in the laquer sure give it character. I won't mess with the pickgaurd but I will suggest he has it done by a professional if it can be done while keeping the same gaurd.

Now I'm off to string it up

And no, there is no way I can get it off him because it belonged to an Uncle that has passed away. I'm just happy to be able to polish it up and restring it for him. Tomorrow I'll play for him some and hopefully he'll follow through with his statement of "I sure would like to learn, can you help get me started?" That would be great for him to learn and start using this wonderful instrument.

And if he ever puts it in the Attic again, I think I might just give him that throat punch and crushed nose o.0

Jason C. Donnell

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hairline cracks in the lacquer finish is a normal sign of the finish aging. It's called "crazing". You don't want to "fix" that.

I would definitely tell him to take it to a luthier to get the wood damage repaired if you're not a crackerjack wood worker (and maybe even if you are if you aren't comfortable doing it).

If the Gibson can be fixed and then it's in good shape without too much work it's probably worth a great deal. He/you can check with George Gruhn and he can tell you about what it's worth. Even if he can't value it he can probably tell you its age and what that model is called.

Born on the Bayou

Man, I'd love to have the chance to get that Gibson tenor repaired and- if it'll stand it- put in playable condition again and correctly strung and tuned as originally intended (similarly to a tenor banjo, I believe); what a cool guitar! :cool:

Izzatt Gibson tenor a longer scale-length than a "normal" guitar?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Man, I'd love to have the chance to get that Gibson tenor repaired and- if it'll stand it- put in playable condition again and correctly strung and tuned as originally intended (similarly to a tenor banjo, I believe); what a cool guitar! :cool:

Izzatt Gibson tenor a longer scale-length than a "normal" guitar?

Yes, I think you are right about the tuning.

My understanding of the 'tenor' guitar was to allow banjo players to migrate straight to a guitar 'sound', hence the banjo tuning.

Correct me if I've misunderstood.

It sounds like an interesting piece to renovate.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived