Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording a demo? - some practical advice

kaiburgess

hey,

Relatively new to this forum business. Just a quick note to all you rockers out there looking to cut a demo. My band (Soundwaste, no site yet) have just finished our third demo, and from what i've seen, there often seems to be people on this site looking for a good place to get one done, so i thought i would impart a bit of info on a good place to start.

You don't want to begin by laying out a huge wedge on demo fees, so go relatively low, and if your band are any good, that will more than make up for any want of technical jiggery-pokery. Our first demo was recorded at an expensive studio in Surrey, and we didn't know the songs well enough. The end result was over-compensated in effects and gimmicks, and not what we were looking for at all. Be creative, but don't change too much at the last minute.

We've just finished recording with a company called betrayalrecords (.com i think). Really good, unique service, they came to our rehearsal rooms (not the local scout hut!), set up their own gear and started tracking. It was a lot easier than some sesions we've had, and a lot cheaper too! Got the final cut yesterday and it rocks! Probably gonna set up a myspace in the next week or two so keep those eyes and ears peeled.

Most importantly, make sure you are ready. If you need more time to practice, then do so. Don't f*ck everything up by rushing into it. Have most of the creative process done before you start, that way you can concentrate on the task at hand.

I hope this has been of some use, and is not too elementary (or patronising). Its certainly been learned the hard way but i think we've finally got it right.

Good luck to all out there, and please wish me the same!

thoughts & comments?...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kaiburgess:

We've just finished recording with a company called betrayalrecords (.com i think).

thoughts & comments?...

These are my thoughts:

I think betrayal records.com is the homepage linked in your user profile.

I think this is spam.

I think you are about to be grilled.

These are my comments:

Yes, one should be well-prepared when they enter the studio.

Posing as a player talking up their experience is in bad taste. There's a spam thread for posting service announcements.

Really good, unique service, they came to our rehearsal rooms (not the local scout hut!), set up their own gear and started tracking. It was a lot easier than some sesions we've had, and a lot cheaper too!

Rehearsal spaces and recording studios are two different things in the real world...so it may not always end up a good thing having the studio "come to you"...

But if you are comparing a "dinky basement studio" to a rehearsal space...then there may not be much difference.

I just recorded a local band's 5 song demo this past weekend, at my studiotracking came out topsshould be finished editing/mixing in a day or two.

I considered going to their rehearsal space...all of about 3 seconds!!! :D

In a controlled, properly designed and configured studio...you can get better results about 90% of the time then trying to do it in someones rehearsal space.

Yes...you are right Billster...smells like SPAM!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

... and is not too elementary (or patronising).

maybe you should have said "misleading"?

do you really think we are such a bunch of dumbasses that we can't see through your thinly veiled marketing scheme?

usually before offering advice, it's wise to gauge the knowledge of your audience. only a marketing asshole would leap over that bit of common sense.

Kai...If you're really NOT a shill for this company, then tell us more about yourself and your musical experiences. Maybe something close to an apology for posting what appears to some as marketing spam (even though you see it as an endorsement of a quality service that you employed).

BTW, we are ALL real people.

I always like the new members who join up...and within their first 2-3 posts...they are calling veteran members "dick head" and generally starting fights with them! :D

And then they wonder why they're consider nothing more than a troll, posting SPAM! :thu:

You don't walk into someone's house for the first time, "selling scrub brushes" (with a chip on your shoulder, to boot!)...and then expect to be welcome...

...do ya?

Originally posted by miroslav:

I always like the new members who join up...and within their first 2-3 posts...they are calling veteran members "dick head" and generally starting fights with them! :D

And then they wonder why they're consider nothing more than a troll, posting SPAM! :thu:

You don't walk into someone's house for the first time, "selling scrub brushes" (with a chip on your shoulder, to boot!)...and then expect to be welcome...

...do ya?

Well ya sure don't if you have a brain at all, and what a riot calling us computer geeks, I was a working musician playing five or six nights a week while he was still shittin mustard! What a riot :D

guitar 55 seems to be the only reasonable person here, and so to them, an apology if it seemed like i was trying to plug a company, i just felt that any advice to young musicians would be useful. I guess I was wrong.

thanks anyway

I learned everything I know from Bluesape. :-)

OK, take a deep breath and start over. I'd suggest reading several posts and getting a feel for the forum.

...i just felt that any advice to young musicians would be useful. I guess I was wrong.

Nope...advice is good...but you may be a bit wrong in assuming that these forums are full of young musicians in need of the most basic advice.

Most of the folks here have been around the block a few times (or like ellwood, too many times! ;) )

So you best approach is to say hello...hang out a bit...check out some threads...make a few posts...

...and then after you take it all in a bit...then you might consider giving advice (that smells a lot like SPAM).

At least, after you get to know the people a bit...they won't jump on your ass so much when you DO put up a bit of SPAM...

and not in your very first post! :thu:

Originally posted by miroslav:

...i just felt that any advice to young musicians would be useful. I guess I was wrong.

Nope...advice is good...but you may be a bit wrong in assuming that these forums are full of young musicians in need of the most basic advice.

Most of the folks here have been around the block a few times (or like ellwood, too many times! ;) )

So you best approach is to say hello...hang out a bit...check out some threads...make a few posts...

...and then after you take it all in a bit...then you might consider giving advice (that smells a lot like SPAM).

At least, after you get to know the people a bit...they won't jump on your ass so much when you DO put up a bit of SPAM...

and not in your very first post! :thu:

Yea! But how many times it too many times? You can tell by the tire tracks up and down my back, I've had my fun (JH) :eek::D:thu:

No wonder real people don't bother with these f-----g forums...

So then, considering that you "bothered" with this forum(and bothered the forum as well), that means you are "unreal people"? Well, that pretty much confirms what was figured in the first place, doesn't it? Spammers like you aren't real people, they are fakes and hustlers, wannabes that show up to use a site like this for their own purposes. You're not a real person, just another little weasel who figured he'd snag a little bandwidth for a free promo. Well, if anyone here wanted to hear you or your band or your recording studio before, you've lost most of them.

"Betrayal Records", eh? How very appropriate...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived