Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Queensryche...

DC Ross

Okay, so when Rage for Order came out in 1986, I was instantly hooked. I was a sophomore in HS and I listened to it pretty much non-stop. I'd been playing guitar for a few years at the time, and they instantly became a major influence. The dueling guitars really did it for me.

Listening to them again, they evoke a similar emotion as Pink Floyd (to me). I got The Wall as a present for my 7th B-day, I listened to that constantly when I got it, too.

I haven't listened to them in years, and I heard one of their songs on the radio from Operation: Mindcrime yesterday, and it made me remember why I liked them "back in the day" ;)

They weren't hair metal, or prog rock, or speed metal, but they were certainly unique.

I'm sure it's considered "uncool" to listen to them, but dammit, I can't help it :)

On a related note, a few years ago, I saw Geoff Tate (the singer) at the grocery store with his wife/girlfriend. I wanted to say something, but didn't want to bug the guy. He's a short guy, but he's got a helluva voice.

Any other Queensryche fans out there?

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Operation Mindcrime is one of my favorite albums. It's certainly in the top 5.

I never really got into any of their other stuff but I love this album.

I do like the song "Silent Lucidity" because my grandmother died about the time this song came out so I think of her when I hear it.

Back to Operation Mindcrime: some great guitar playing between two guitar players. What's really great about these guys is that they both played different rhythm patterns instead of both chugging the same progression until "solo time".

I like the cynicism of the lyrics in the album to.

It's good stuff.

My experience with Queensryche happened a few years earlier when their EP Queensryche was released. I too was playing guitar for a few years... Queensryche picked up in a very similar vein as earlier Judas Priest - twin guitars, high pitched vocals and a little more serious attitude. I don't think hiar metal or speed metal were fully developed "genres" in '83... we just had Heavy Metal!!!

In fact I thought Queen of the Reich was JP until I found out that it was Queensryche.

Check out their website. They have some video and audio clips. Checking out their full video version of Queen of the Reich is a must!!!

http://www.queensryche.com/releases/ep/index.html

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Big fan, hadn't listened to them much in years tho (but I did see them a couple of years ago, I missed them when I was really into them and couldn't pass it up!).

Been listening to them a bit more recently in preperation for the release of Operation Mindcrime II!!!

Just hope it lives up to the original...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I first heard Rage for Order from a friend of mine at the time. I was completely blown away! I loved the futuristic sound of that album. Still do. It's a lost classic. I never really got into their other albums, but I still pull Rage for Order out every once in a while.

I think that a lot of good bands got lost in the shuffle (and flushed down the drain) when all the sub genres started getting thrown around.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Archived