Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Esteban on Letterman

Danzilla

Did Anyone see Esteban "sitting in" with the CBS Orchestra on The Late Show last night? Letterman had some fun with him; asked Paul Shafer if a $99 guitar could be any good. Before Paul could answer, Esteban retorted, "It's a $189 guitar, in three easy payments of $39.99." To which Dave kept questioning the math involved!

I only say up until about 12:10, so I don't know if they did anything else funny or actually let him "play". Everytime they said "Esteban", Dave wanted a flamenco roll. He missed one or two that I noticed. At one of the commercial breaks, they were playing "Secret Agent Man"; Esteban was playing a string or two but not high up in the mix.

If anyone else saw it and saw more, let me know.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Esteban is an interesting character. A lot of his alleged life is unconfirmable....this mysterious accident that kept him from playing for 10 years...his alleged attandance of Segovia Masterclasses, etc.

No doubt that he is a decent Classical Guitarist...he's also a con man....and, his mom REALLY dresses him funny.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

"...[L]et the guy have his shtick! It's better than working in the Siberian salt mines.. OK, admittedly I never worked there and so will defer to anyone in this forum who HAS..."

While I remember my stint in the Siberian salt mines with great fondness, I would think that getting paid for dressing up like Zorro and playing guitar would be more fun.

At one break they went out with Esteban ("Steve" to his friends) starting to play "walk, Don't Run". I think of Steve as the Kenny G. of the guitar, though slightly hipper.

Yup. He's in it for the money, of course. I mean, when you go to the Letterman show you can be sure he's going to make a fool out of you. Unless you're a star that's way bigger than him. So...

"Steve" is an idiot, but a rich idiot.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Virtual Jim:

This dude's provided me with endless bonding material for other guitarists.

Maybe if he would use some of that bonding material on his GLO (Guitar-like Object), it would hold together a little better. :P

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Caputo:

The dude that is hanging with him on the info-mercial is playing some pretty wankin' solos over "Rising Sun"

OMG!! Caputo.....please say it ain't so! You haven't really been watching Esteban infomercials have you? :eek:

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

The dude that is hanging with him on the info-mercial is playing some pretty wankin' solos over "Rising Sun"

OMG!! Caputo.....please say it ain't so! You haven't really been watching Esteban infomercials have you? :eek:
I'm a sick boy. I watched the entire thing in comic disbelief.

I just couldn't get over how Esteban could be so "pleased with himself" and dressed like that at the same time. The "solid spruce top" was pretty funny, too

I'm a sick boy. I watched the entire thing in comic disbelief.

I just couldn't get over how Esteban could be so "pleased with himself" and dressed like that at the same time. The "solid spruce top" was pretty funny, too

Solid spruce top? Are you shitting me? Is he actually claiming that the Esteban GLO has a solid spruce top or was he talking about his "$12,000.00 Classical"?

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Is he actually claiming that the Esteban GLO has a solid spruce top or was he talking about his "$12,000.00 Classical"?
No BS. Right on the TV, he and his apostle were saying the buzz phrase "solid spruce top" in reference to the guitar which would make a better flowerpot

Originally posted by chad:

"While I remember my stint in the Siberian salt mines with great fondness, I would think that getting paid for dressing up like Zorro and playing guitar would be more fun."

Yes, yess, and thrice yesss!

"At one break they went out with Esteban ("Steve" to his friends) starting to play "walk, Don't Run". I think of Steve as the Kenny G. of the guitar, though slightly hipper."

Naa, naaa, he's the Adam West of crossover-flamencology, and the Ninja of rest-stroke twang; he can even swap some clothes and accessories back 'n' forth with Batman, not to mention Zorro, Richie Blackmore, and Johnny Ca$h.

It's fitting that his name is "Steve"; it'd have to be either "Steve", or "Ray"; a name with racing-stripes and shades...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

"how about "Steves" Geico commercials. any of you seen them?"

Hey, my man Down-State! Yeah, I've seen the band-practice one, where they ask if he's gonna teach "Duane" how to play guitar; hysterical! I love it! I particularly crack-up over "Duane's" warped lead-break, and the horrible "look" that their bassist is goin' for there... waddya call that, "just got swirlied"? :D:love::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I came across a portion of an Esteban concert on some TV channel about a year or so ago--in retrospect, it might have been one of his infamous infomercials (infamous on this forum, at least, it would seem). I had never heard of Esteban before then, and being that I've been listening to more classical guitar music in recent times (and being that I've always been drawn to Spanish- and Latin-flavored instrumental music), I listened for a while, and his playing actually sounded pretty decent. He also did some decent work on a couple of his CDs that I came across at a local library: "Enter The Heart" and "Duende", both of which featured mostly original material, unlike some of his other recordings. As to all the other stuff about Esteban (the "mysteries" about his life story, the way he dresses, his rep as an unashamed self-promoting salesman, and so on), I'm not going to even get into any of that--I personally see him simply as a guitar player, and not a half bad one at that, at least based on what I've heard of him.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Hey, my man Down-State! Yeah, I've seen the band-practice one, where they ask if he's gonna teach "Duane" how to play guitar; hysterical! I love it! I particularly crack-up over "Duane's" warped lead-break, and the horrible "look" that their bassist is goin' for there... waddya call that, "just got swirlied"? :D:love::cool:

Hey, my man Up-State! Yeah, the look of the guys in that commercial are hysterical. And as for my avatar, its a beauty isnt it.

More power to the guy--as someone mentioned he was just gigging at hotels in the Phoenix area, but took the opportunity that appeared before him. Seen too many pickers kick back when they get their "shot"....

Aside from that, I do bristle when he talks about studying w/ Segovia, the car wreck, being blind in one eye, etc.. I doubt it's verifiable.

But realistically, who wouldn't enjoy fielding calls from gushing admiring soccer moms? He's as flamenco as Ottmar ever was--but that doesn't mean it's unbearable. It's just "selling out", as most would say, but sometimes it's worth it.

I'd wear a funny hat for that ;-)

Archived