Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wanna drastically improve these forums?

Caevan O’Shite

Go to:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "So.. any word on Forum Utilities for posting Music Notation, Tab, Fretboard Diagrams?"-thread , Guitar Player Editors' Office (self-explanatory, read the post, if you agree post a supporting reply on that thread).

(Tools for posting schematic/wiring/layout-diagram info for electronic D.I.Y.-projects, repairs, etc. are also covered.)

Well? Waddya still doin' here? ;):thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see ya, ya Basetard! :D;):thu:

So, are you the one on the left, or the one on the right? (We know you're not the drummer.)

________ http://www.smileyworld.com/greetings/images/largeimages/TG-033.jpg

Hey, A'! How are you 'n' Little-A 'n' the Missus? (Well and fine, I hope.)

Maybe you'd have some good ideas for a cost-effective way to achieve the ideas on the other end of the above link? You've done a fair bit of computer/programming/app/whatever you wanna call it type work, right?

Any suggestions? (If you've got some good ideas, please post 'em on the Ed's-Office thread linked-to up there... Thanks! Forgive the shameless baby-kissing! It really is a sincere inquiry and well-wishing, though!) :D

From my poost sitting on the desk at somebody else's office :D

Originally posted by d:

Discussion of ways to post notation are not new here; they go back several years. Most resort to hanging it on a piture site & linking that into posts.

There are also several ways people have used to diagram chords, insinuate tablature, etc.

This is a cool tip, though, that's new to me!

D                  A
e -------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
B ----------7--10-7-/|10~------------/10--10--|10~------------/10--10--|
G -------7-----------|------------------------|------------------------|
D (7)-7--------------|------------------------|------------------------|
A -------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
E -------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
  ^     ^     ^      ^     ^     ^     ^      ^     ^     ^     ^

e |------------------------|------------------------|-------
B |10-p8---8---8--s7---7---|7-----------------------|-------
G |------------------------|----9---9--7b9--7---6--/|7------
D |------------------------|------------------------|-------
A |------------------------|------------------------|-------
E |------------------------|------------------------|-------
  ^     ^     ^     ^      ^     ^     ^     ^      ^
I think communicating with Jim Quinn might be more productive than trying to go through any of the Magazine Offices.

From what I can tell, & this is my impression not a statement of MPlayer attitude, they might be open to whatever ideas someone can offer that come with enough support. By "support" I don't mean a list of people who want something but the practical investment of time (& perhaps $) to actually make them realities. I'd guess that whoever could offer a workable way to do this---not just some "try this" type suggestions---would have a fair chance of getting it going.

It's easy to forget that this site is largely a "loss leader" that's supported by advertisers & the efforts of a number of behind the scenes cats who work very hard to provide us with a very cool place to get together & basically do what we want: share info, debate topics or just goof around but that there's lots more to it than what we percieve when we just log on & start blowing!

Sometimes I wonder about all the cyberspace taken up by trivial arguments, jokes, etc., that we often take for harmless fun but in fact are miracles of modern technology supported by flesh & blood people & the expenditure of real time & real money.

It might be that ultimately it's better, for reasons of time, effort & cost, to just find a site where one can hang images & then link to those.

Not as immediately convenient maybe but for something to be instituted, someone needs to both demonstrate a real "need" for it &, if possible, a way to do it.

True, the Ed's Office Forum is really aimed more at discussion of the printed-publication, Guitar Player magazine. But, I'd like to see more of a synergistic intraction directly between the magzine, the 'site, and these forums. As it is, where once there was a "Questions" column in the magazine each month, now there isn't and people are referred... to us, the alleged "Experts" of the "Expert Forums"... !! :D

And the tech/luthery/repairs/mods/D.I.Y. side of the magazine has slipped to nearly non-existance. I'm very glad to see Dan Erlewine's inclusion and contributions once more, but truth be told, Mod Squad is kinda like "Dan Lite", or really even "D.I.Y. Info-Lite"... mostestly especiallistly compared to his old columns and articles in GP!

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Hey, A'! How are you 'n' Little-A 'n' the Missus? (Well and fine, I hope.)

Maybe you'd have some good ideas for a cost-effective way to achieve the ideas on the other end of the above link? You've done a fair bit of computer/programming/app/whatever you wanna call it type work, right?

Any suggestions? (If you've got some good ideas, please post 'em on the Ed's-Office thread linked-to up there... Thanks! Forgive the shameless baby-kissing! It really is a sincere inquiry and well-wishing, though!) :D

Thanks Caevan, being a Dad is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Abbey is now 17 1/2 months old and is doing great.

Regarding your question, check out my response over at the editor's office.

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

True, the Ed's Office Forum is really aimed more at discussion of the printed-publication, Guitar Player magazine. But, I'd like to see more of a synergistic intraction directly between the magzine, the 'site, and these forums.

Well, that may be a worthy goal. My point was that from wha I can tell there's not so much actual interaction between the various magazines's editorial staff & the actual operation of the forum.

Try contacting someone at GP about an onsite snafu (like during the occasional unannounced downtimes last year) or even how to contact someone at the site.

My experience has been that's a dead end.

As often as not the phones at the mag's printed contact numbers seem to be answered by interns in some corral that seems to service the entire set of publications.

On the other hand, when I once just mentioned in a discussion on the Forum News that my main interest in MPlayer was cataloging info I got a PM from JQ wondering if I might have interest in developing that....which sadly I have neither the time nor technical abilities to do.

That contact is where I also picked up the idea that the ability to invest in the practical operation of the site is what they really want, not just suggestions for what we'd like to see them develop.

I really do think most of us fail to remember, mostly because it's so convenient & free, what a great deal this site is for us.

With some trepidation that he may track me down & strangle me for adding to his in-box, I repeat that developing a efficient, workable method of doing somthing & then contacting Jim Quinn with the idea or asking who to offer it to will put any of us closer to the finish line than anything else.

Originally posted by d:

"I really do think most of us fail to remember, mostly because it's so convenient & free, what a great deal this site is for us."

Yes, you've nailed that, very true!

I don't mean to seem unappreciative or anything...

Archived