Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Life for an old soldier

LPCustom

I have an old Marshall Lead 12 mini stack that I've had since 1986. When I first got it, it was dynamite. It sounded so much like my JCM800, it was incredible. It sure didn't (and doesn't) sound like a 12 watt solid state amp.

I'd been fiddling with smaller amps a lot over the last year and realized that that my Lead 12s just didn't sound very good anymore. I didn't know why. Then a friend suggested I put new speakers in them.

The original Celestion G10D-25s are 16 ohm versions and haven't been made in a long time. I tried to find some on eBay but they were usually just as old (and worn out) as the speakers in my amp. And some of them are damaged or just don't even work.

So I decided to just change the speakers to something different. I ordered a pair of 16 ohm Celestion G10 Vintage speakers (I have one of these in my Lead 12 combo, now :D ). But everybody has them backordered or want over $200 (each) for them. So I decided to try a pair of Jensen C10Qs.

These are "vintage" Jensen design with ceramic magnets. The curve and efficiency is about the same as the original speakers and the Celestion Tube 10.

I didn't think it would make much of a difference. But last night I put in the new speakers and turned the amp back on. My friend Alan was over and I got him to play some of my guitars through this amp. It sounds as good, now, as I remember it sounding when it was new. It'll sound even better when the speakers get broken in.

It definitely has more bottom end. I guess that's due to the larger magnets. The mids are nice and clear again and the top end doesn't roll off like it was doing. It's like I got a new amp. I'm stoked. I still can't believe that just putting new speakers in this amp could make such a huge difference. I was even thinking of selling this amp because I just didn't like the way it sounded anymore.

The best part is these Jensen speakers only cost about $80. I guess I'll need to put new speakers in it again in about 20 years.

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

It'll sound even better when the speakers get broken in.

I'd never thought about that.

After how long do the speakers get "broken in"?

Usually just a few hours. It softens up the surround on the speaker. You really only have this break-in period on speakers with the paper surround. The ones with a rubber surround don't usually need breaking in at all. The surround is already quite soft.

The ones with vinyl surrounds take years to break in but they don't last long at high volume after that. I don't think anyone makes speakers with vinyl surrounds anymore.

Born on the Bayou

Glad to hear your mini stack is rockin! I remember one of your posts musing about looking for a second mini stack to transfer your Valve Junior's guts into... I thought that was a cool idea... Are you still considering it?
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

One of these days, when I finally inherit a SS Fender Deluxe 85 from my dad, I'm going to replace the speaker on that thing. The Eminence that it comes with is good, but too spongy sounding for my tastes.

Maybe a higher watt rated Celestion, or EV speaker ought to do, I want a tighter sound out of it. The distortion on it is awesome, and the clean channel couldn't be any better, as it is.

Originally posted by comacoda:

Glad to hear your mini stack is rockin! I remember one of your posts musing about looking for a second mini stack to transfer your Valve Junior's guts into... I thought that was a cool idea... Are you still considering it?

Yeah, the old mini stack sounds good for sure. I have a Lead 12 head already. But the Valve Jr amp box won't quite fit into it. It's a little too tall and about a half an inch too wide. There is just enough headroom in the Lead 12 head for the transformers and the tubes. But the cutout in the front won't quite fit. I could probably buy or make a new amp chassis and mount it in the Marshall head that way. I'd have to add a secondary speaker out jack. I could also still use the Marshall speaker cabinets but replace the drivers with 8 ohm ones. But I'd probably have to buy a whole working amp and I'm not ready to "kill" one for that project.

I already built a 2x10 cabinet for my Valve Jr anyway. It's mounted in it but the cab's not completely finished, yet.

So, instead of trying put the Valve Junior amp section in that Lead 12 head, I figured I'd either build an amp (like an old Fender champ with a Fender tone stack and a gain control) in that Marshall amp chassis or buy something like an old Bogen and transfer the guts into the Marshall chassis. But that's a "don't have anything else to do" project. I may never get to it.

Born on the Bayou

I've replaced the speakers in both of my guitar amps, and the difference in both was noticable.

I replaced the Fender stock speaker with a Celestion G12 on my Studio 85 and it stopped sounding 'boxy' and just opened up with more bass & treble - very nice & useable to my ears.

I replaced the stock speaker on my Champion 30 DFS with an H|H Invader and everything just became more intense - bass, mids, highs, and, somehow, sweeter.

Currently, this little practice amp is the best sounding amp I've heard locally.

After all, at the end of the chain, it's the speaker that produces the sound.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

I replaced the Fender stock speaker with a Celestion G12 on my Studio 85 and it stopped sounding 'boxy' and just opened up with more bass & treble - very nice & useable to my ears.

G.

Which G12 did you put in your Studio 85?

Born on the Bayou

I used to have a cab I bought new about 1976 - a Maine 2x12. It had 2 Celestion G12-65s in it. That's all that's on the back of the driver.

One went into the Studio.

I guess a Vintage 30 would work well too.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

I used to have a cab I bought new about 1976 - a Maine 2x12. It had 2 Celestion G12-65s in it. That's all that's on the back of the driver.

One went into the Studio.

I guess a Vintage 30 would work well too.

G.

If I remember correctly, those G12-65s were pretty sassy. Nice full midrange with a good kick in the bottom. With some amps they sound a little brassy but they should sound great on a solid state amp. (that Studio's solid state isn't it?) The Super 65 is the replacement for them, I think.

Born on the Bayou

Archived