Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

thinning the herd...

BillWelcome Home Studios

Okay, should I sell of the '62 DuoSonic, the '68 336 12 string, or the mid-60s J-160e? Maybe the '67 Silvertone/Danno amp in case guitar?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rw2003:

I dunno... my theory is hold on to something unless you need the money or don't have room for it anymore!

It is partially the room issue, as I have moved into an apartment; and partially that I believe that these fine instruments deserved to be played. I have four guitars sitting out now, there really isn't any room for more.

(sigh....)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by ellwood:

Well if those pieces where mine I would sell the 12 string for sure!

I sold one 60s Fender XII last year... I've still got the 335-12, the Firebird 12, and another Fender XII. So that is logical. I just don't think that I can get much for it.

Bill

Steve Martin

The Silvertone/amp-in-the-case dealy; those are overrated, if you ask me, when it comes right down to playing it, and not entirely irreplaceable...

(Unles you've got a particularly, unusually "special" one, or it has some serious sentimental value for you, personally.)

You could build a better low-powered tube-amp yourself, and a better guitar!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

The Silvertone/amp-in-the-case dealy; those overrated, if you ask me, when it comes right down to playing it, and not irreplaceable...

Well, yeah.

But you could say the same thing about lots of vintage things. I mean, your average moped probably performs better than those ancient "Indian" motorcycles but I think the Indian's a bit classier.

Originally posted by 's mel gibson:

Get some nice display cases and hang them on your walls.

My walls, 14 feet high, are packed with Fillmore and Avalon and other '60s psych posters, original paintings, vintage movie posters, and Mexican masks.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

The Silvertone/amp-in-the-case dealy; those overrated, if you ask me, when it comes right down to playing it, and not irreplaceable...

Well, yeah.

But you could say the same thing about lots of vintage things. I mean, your average moped probably performs better than those ancient "Indian" motorcycles but I think the Indian's a bit classier.

Hey, don't think I'm prejudiced or anti-Dano; I like a good vintage Dano. But it's been my experience that those Silvertone/Danos with the amp-in-the-case usually aren't examples of "a good vintage Dano". The case-amp was always the better item of the two, when I've run across intact-pairs; the guitars were kinda lacking all-around, even compared to other budget Danelectros. Just my experience, though, there may be some out there that'd surprise me! Their biggest selling-point and market-value has long been their nostalgaic kitschy-campy novelty-status; somewhere between Radio-Flyer pedal-cars and Chia-Pets, as guitars go.

My point was, the Silvertone and case-amp would likely be the least missed and most easily replaced of those listed. I don't think he's gonna easily or even cost-effectively build a substitute for the 12-string Gibson electric semi-hollow, or find a good replacement for a bargain. Same with the Gibson flat-top. Maybe the little short-scaled Duo Sonic, they're somewhat of a bargain as '50s- and '60s-vintage Fenders go, and Warmoth (among others) may cary just the necks and bodies to come close to, if not actually replicate, a Duo-Sonic...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, don't think I'm prejudiced or anti-Dano; I like a good vintage Dano. But it's been my experience that those Silvertone/Danos with the amp-in-the-case usually aren't examples of "a good vintage Dano".

No, I know you're not prejudiced. :) And yeah, I've never played an amp in case but I can't see how they could be that good for the price. And there's still lots of them around. The other bits and pieces are rarer.

BTW: I posted that thing about the mopeds and then wondered whether I really meant it and about what you had meant and so on and so forth. I was going to edit but I wasn't sure where I was going with that and then the phone rang and I had to get back to work :)

Archived