Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going rate for Evil Twin.

The Geoff

My pal's looking at a Fender 'Evil' Twin in pretty good condition, in a local shop.

The guy is looking for £450.00, but we have no idea if that's high, low or just right.

What do you guys think?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen two Femder amps (three, if you count purely cosmetic differences) referred to as "the evil Twin" by folks on the internet. As far as I know, Fender only officially adopted the nick-name for one model...

Is the one your friend's considering a "red-knob" (or the same amp later fitted with grey knobs of the same moulded shape) 'The Twin' ('87 through '94), or the later Twincarnation channel-switching 'Twin Amp' ('95 through ?), dubbed in official Fender promotional-literature as "the Evil Twin"?

That would make a difference right there. The latter of the two- the 'Twin Amp'- would generally be worth more than the "red-knob" (or "grey-knob") 'The Twin' models.

The '86-'94 "red/grey-knob" 'The Twin' can be distinguished by its bearing a name-badge on the upper-right corner of the speaker-grille that reads, "The Twin". It has four inputs in between its two channels. I once owned one.

The '95-? "evil Twin" 'Twin Amp' has the model name ("Twin Amp") painted on the far-right of the control-panel's face-plate, "blackface"-style. It has two inputs on the far-left of the front-panel. A guy I jammed with a few times had one of these.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hmmn, so what would be a fair $US-equivalent to £450.00? I know that a direct monetary-conversion isn't going to be the whole story cut-and-dry, but it'd give some of us (definitely myself) a better handle on this...

I'd say that FJ's right, about the going-rate for "red-knob" The Twins here in the US.

The JJ Teslas are a definite plus, but I'm sure it would've needed 'em. And, man, does this amp take a LOT of tubes! And mine was kinda hard on 'em, too. Be sure to stop by this thread on phase-inverter tubes (it'll definitely make a difference in a "red-knob"-Twin's performance; been there, done that), and to forward its contents to your friend.

One of the great features on these amps (and they're chock-full of bells 'n' whistles) is the set of test-points and set-screws on the back-panel that allow for very, VERY easy adjustment of the bias and balance of the output-tubes with only a digital multi-meter and a screwdriver, without opening anything up. Way, way cool!

Another thing- if your friend isn't going to use the effects-loop for anything, its three-position level selector- a sliding switch- can be put in-between its middle and highest settings for a marked boost that improves the robustness of either channel, any settings. I used to do this, and no less than Bruce Zinky- designer of the fabulous Fender Vibro King 3x10, among many other achievments- has mentioned it in print as safe for both tone and amp.

Oh- and watch out for that back-panel when lifting it, it's ridiculously flimsy. I broke two. The chassis is built like a tank, but the cabinet is not one of Fender's best moments in wood...

Thanks, Caevan - I've sent Mike the address of this thread, and he'll read all the pearls of knowledge dripping from your ruby lips!! :D

Using X-Rates.com at 09:30 this morning GMT the £450.00 converted to $794.84 giving a £/$ ratio of 0.56.

Looks a bit high to me, but good old Fenders are much rarer over here.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by ellwood:

Geoff, sounds like a pretty decent deal to me! :thu:

Lee,

Given the £/$ conversion above, does it still look OK?

G.

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Geoff, sounds like a pretty decent deal to me! :thu:

Lee,

Given the £/$ conversion above, does it still look OK?

G.

Oh gezz ..that's right Geoff..forgot about that ..ok so that's darn near 800.00 bucks! in that case NO!!! I wouldn't pay 800 for that particular twin.

Except that, I noticed over in the UK that (cof) the dollar is "on par" with the pound...in that, though dollars are worth far less...the cost of everything is about as much in pounds in the UK as it is in dollars here.

Go to McDonald's here... 5 dollars. Go to McDonalds there... 5 pounds. A guitar you'd pay, say, 1800 bucks for here is going for 1800 pounds on Denmark St. That sort of thing. It'll eat your fucking lunch big time.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

My pal's looking at a Fender 'Evil' Twin in pretty good condition, in a local shop.

The guy is looking for £450.00, but we have no idea if that's high, low or just right.

What do you guys think?

Does it make much difference what any of us, outside Britain, think? No matter how cheap (or costly) the amp is outside the UK, you are still stuck with paying UK prices for it.

It's no good telling your local shop that you refuse to pay any more than the American price for it! ;)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

What do you guys think?

Does it make much difference what any of us, outside Britain, think? No matter how cheap (or costly) the amp is outside the UK, you are still stuck with paying UK prices for it.

It's no good telling your local shop that you refuse to pay any more than the American price for it! ;)

Well, I could always try!!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/angels/teu31.gif

but you're right - we pay too much here - as has been said, it's £s for $s over here.

Ripoff Britain.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

Geoff

"Thanks, Caevan - I've sent Mike the address of this thread, and he'll read all the pearls of knowledge dripping from your ruby lips!!" :D

Hey!! I don't think I like the sound of that, Mister!! :mad:;):thu::D:cool:

Seriously, even though it has a lot of great features, and really is a very useable all-tube amp, the "red-knob" 'The Twin' has gotten a bad rap, and has its share of haters, and then some.

(Be sure to get a copy of the owner's manual for it, there's a number of suggested settings for all those red knobs and their pull-functions that are a good place to start tone-hunting... )

If he tries it and he likes it- and with all the "bells 'n' whistles", it can be a daunting task to dial in a sound that one wants to hear, but it's probably in there- then that's a slightly high, but likely fair going-rate, par FOR THE UK.

Tax 'n' tariff 'n' shipping 'n' overhead all conspire against the UK citizenry, especially when it comes to overseas-imported big, bulky, heavy, fragile electronic appliances like 'The Twin'; the durn thing weighs about 85 pounds, for real, and it's full of glass vacume-tubes!

Now, Robin Ford has gigged and done seminars with these amps, STOCK, and even owns two or three... When I saw Los Lobos open for U2 (they were better than the headliner), they were packin' "red-knobs" (probably rented or even loaned in exchange for a quick meet-n-greet at a large local store)... Robert Cray and David Gilmore both used 'em for a while, back in the day... Greg Howe endorsed, recorded, and toured with "red-knob" Dual Showman heads (essentialy 'The Twin' in head-form)...

I was in good company there for a few years! They can't be all that bad, if they're taken care of and maintained...

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

"i have a red-knob head for sale in the spam thread above ^ but like Caevan noted - shipping to the UK would be huge."

AND-

-forgive me if I'm torpedoing you here, FJ-

-it would need to be rewired for UK voltage, possibly necessitating a whole new Power Transformer... add on about $50 to $100 or so, right there...

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

-forgive me if I'm torpedoing you here, FJ-

-it would need to be rewired for UK voltage, possibly necessitating a whole new Power Transformer... add on about $50 to $100 or so, right there...

HA you're right, i hadn't thought about that!

i have a red-knob head for sale in the spam thread above ^ but like Caevan noted - shipping to the UK would be huge.

Heads up for the Vibrolux :wave:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

i have a red-knob head for sale in the spam thread above ^ but like Caevan noted - shipping to the UK would be huge.

Heads up for the Vibrolux :wave:
:confused:
sorry forgot you didn't want to do a trade :o
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived