Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Active Monitors under a $1000?

Dylan, I would strongly suggest that you either stretch your budget slightly (defer other purchases, pack lunches for two months, give everybody home made CD's for Christmas, etc.) or wait a little longer and get the Mackies. Trust me on this one; you're going to be disappointed with anything less. This is not the place to skimp. Monitors aren't like a computer that you're going to upgrade in eighteen months. They're your connection to reality. Plus, you're going to be using these speakers for ten years. How much is that per year? I don't know of any other speaker that gives you as much "bang for the buck" as the HR824's.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like I might be too late, but the KRK V-8's beat the MAckie HR824's and the Event 20/20bas in an A-B comparison according to 4 of 5 engineers at my company. The 4 of us who chose them have also bought a set for their home setups as well. I agree with Dansouth though, try to squeak out the extra bread through selling blood or other bodily fluids, man-whore activity, or anything else you can do to scrape up the bread. You will be glad you did.
Woof!

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I have no problem packing a sack lunch and man-whoring myself out to save some money. In fact, I already do all of that at the moment :D . Normally, I would take your advise and spend more for a nicer product, but there are two factors that are making me do otherwise at the moment. First, I'm already happy with the sound of the JBL's, and second, my fiancé recently spent some time in the hospital for surgery and other fun stuff. Even with really good health insurance, our medical bills are going to be absolutely huge! So while I have the money in the bank now for the V8's or Mackie's, I would feel guilty buying these at the moment when I know these bills are going to be coming soon. I always heard how expensive health care was, but I had no idea until recently how astronomical it was. I can't imagine not having health insurance today because of this. One little 2-3 day visit to the hospital is enough to bankrupt you otherwise. [ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Dylan Walters ]

Archived