Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest living guitarist? I nominate Richard Thompson.

bbqbob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a tough one.

Allan Holdsworth, but of course he does what he does. There are so many guys doing so many different things. It is IMPOSSIBLE to say that there is a greatest.

My vote goes to EVH, but EVH isn't the 'best' he just sounds more like EVH than most people sound like themselves. There are a million guys faster and more precise, and more complicated musically, but that doesn't really measure anything because music is infinite and technical things don't really matter unless they are a means to an end.

You know I can think of like 50 guys who are 'the best'

Opinions are fun to read though.

Why I nominated RT is I have heard him play almost every style imaginable, from Renaissance to Rock and everything in between...even flamingo! He take influences from everywhere and distills them into a unique individual style that is instantly recognized, at least to me.

Caputo, I haven't heard you play...you just might be the the best!

Well, Kid Krock & all aside, there's a problem with trying to designate any ultimate anythng or anyone. If nothing else such ideas would vary with our personal attitudes as well as the way that anyone performs at different times.

Is this the Richard T of today or of somtime in the past (& watch out! Everything we know is inthe past, including what you just read. :D )

Anyhow I do have a more concise comment on RT.

Check out his work with Fairport Convention, specifically their record Leige & Leif, which was a groundbreaking amalgam of folk music & rock playing (note its direct influence on the Who's Who's Next).

It's also one of the most dynamic recordings ever, both in terms of the actual production but especially in how it demostrates how important a good drummer is in controlling a band.

Thompson's work on that disc is a glorious mix of Celtic, rock & almost sitarish tonalities.

If you've never heard it, you' re culturally deprived.

Originally posted by bbqbob:

Why I nominated RT is I have heard him play almost every style imaginable, from Renaissance to Rock and everything in between...even flamingo!

Last time I checked a flamingo was a bird. :confused: Can he play a bird? Wow, he's got to be great! That may make him the best flamingo-player, but not the greatest guitar player! :eek::P

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

Originally posted by bbqbob:

Why I nominated RT is I have heard him play almost every style imaginable, from Renaissance to Rock and everything in between...even flamingo!

Last time I checked a flamingo was a bird. Can he play a bird? Wow, he's got to be the best!
No but I bet he can play a BIRDland! :D:thu:

bbqbob:

...Well, I heard a bit of his playing and... :confused: I guess it's a matter of personal preference. He sounds alright and his music is nice, he plays nice parts, too. However, for some people Kurt Cobain was the greatest guitar player ever :rolleyes: . For others it was Hendrix, or SRV. Not to put these guys in the same level, but you get the idea....

You obviously love his playing and his music reaches you--either that or you really haven't heard that many guitar players... or maybe it's a combination of both things. Nothing wrong w/ that. But as an "artist", you should know there's no 'greatest' or 'best'.

By the way, is the 'flamingo' a string instrument, or a wind instrument? I mean, I'm assuming the flamingo needs to be dead in order to be played, right? Is it blown through the beak, ass, or are its legs plucked? :P I certainly hope it's not a percussion instrument!!! That would be ugly! :D

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by d:

"Can he play a bird?"

Freebird!! :D

I used to be the greatest living guitarist in my house, but then my 2 kids started playing. Now I'm the 3rd greatest player in my house. Just hope my wife doesn't take it up...

Paul

Originally posted by The Lone Chicken:

Phil Keaggy!

Keaggy would certainly get a nod from me.

I like Richard Thompson okay, I reckon. I haven't really heard him go apeshit on a guitar. As a singer, he kinda reminds me of Roger Whittaker :D

http://images.buch.de/04/60/88/04608843_b003.jpg

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Caputo:

RT's solo on "Mother Knows best is some pretty scary playing. Lots of chops, balls, melody and stratiness.

ah... I didn't get to hear that. I should check him out more thoroughly...

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

My vote currently goes to this fella:

___________ http://tedster.net/prestrat6.jpg

His actual playing ain't quite there yet ;) , but Preston has all the RAWKING down pat. He'll sling on his Strat, do the splits and headbang...he's moving his fingers around as though he were Yngwie Van Vai or Eddie Ray Clapton :D . Of course, they're not really pressing down any strings, but that will come in time. I've tuned his guitar to an open E chord...and I've actually got him to barre his index finger across the neck. He goes "OW, that hurts"...so I don't push it. I want him to like it, not detest it.

Kids are so cool... :D:D:D

I had my friends' little daughter playing lap-steel in Open-Somethinerother a few nights ago, on her brother's wretched nylon-string toy acoustic. They both agreed that it'd never sounded as good! Ya gotta love those moments...

O.K., O.K., so I'll break down and vote, it's gotta be... Bireli Lagrene (sp?). He can play anything... and usually has the good taste to refrain!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ozzy Osborne used to play with birds. And bats. They died. Mostly because he bit their heads off.

I seems to me that strumming a flamingo would get feathers everywhere. Bird crap too. I wonder if they crap pink? Probably better to start out with smaller birds. Like Ozzy.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Actually, Bigfoot, I've read something that there is in fact something in their diet that accounts for their pink plumage. I believe it's a type of shellfish...and if they don't get an adequate supply of it, they're sort of a dull white.

Archived