Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Danelectro Cool Cat variation

Gifthorse

Hey I bought a Cool Cat in like 97 and it was an 18 volter. It takes 2 9 volts, or an 18 volt power supply.

Recently I went to GC to buy a new power supply and was informed that they no longer make the 18 volt version. Now it is only 9 volts.

I wonder, does the 9 volt model sound different? I am kind of pissed actually, it is so stupid to make it 18 volts to begin with if 9 would suffice. It is sitting in my pedal board now and I can't use it without batteries.

Anyone else have this experience?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, most anyone in design likes voltage. Check out George Massenburgs stuff.... high rail voltage. So I doubt that the two versions sound the same, or have the same S/N, or whatever. Something somewhere has to give.

Can you build a good circuit on a given voltage? sure. Can you exactly match the sound of a different circuit with another circuit? Harder, but sure.

Our friends debate the possibility of making a modern $10,000 copy of a vintage $20,000 mic. There is a lot of room to work within a $10,000 price point, in trying to match an original. Not so much wiggle rooom in a -$100 price point.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

It is sitting in my pedal board now and I can't use it without batteries.

I'm afraid you'll have to keep an eye on eBay for a genuine Dano 18v power supply. Have you looked into some of the universal power supplies like the 1 Spot? I think the standard 1 Spot is only 9v, but I don't I don't know about others.

I got my Cool Cat from eBay with the power supply, so I've never had to deal with two batteries. BTW, care to share any favorite settings? I turn both controls almost all the way up for a Leslie sound and use it on Badfinger's "No Matter What." Sounds freakin great! Find that power supply, man, you can't leave this one off the board.

(Uhmn, IIRC any 18v power supply should do, as long as it will handle the maximum current drawn by the pedal, and it's also designed for your local voltage and current at the wall-outlet.)

flagshipmile, you've probably got the better of the two pedals. It's not a be-all and end-all in itself, but the higher voltage is probably indicative of a better performing design, all-around.

They probably redesigned it to cut cost; now they need only use the same supply as most or all of their other pedals, right?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have a suggestion if you are looking for a power supply.. places like Marlin Jones or Electronic Supply always seem to have cheap regulated and non-regulated power supplies, wall warts, laptop supplys, etc. Getting a master supply with +/- voltages to supply your entire pedal board would not be a big deal.

Also, I recently picked up a 5 rail supply from a fellow in Australia (he even takes paypal...) for the re-racking I'm doing of some old Datamix mic pre (possibly from one of the original consoles at Electric Ladyland, but definitely of that time period...). The supply is a kit, but takes minimal knowlege to assemble and when built, it is a couple of inches wide, less than 1.75 inches thick, and about four inches long. Comes without a power transformer, for about $28. He has simpler supplies, too. Google JLM Audio. I forget the amperage of the piece, but it will run a bunch of mic pres, so it should run a few pedals without problem. And the specs are on his site. The cool part is that the power sent to each of the rails is trimpot adjustable.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks for the information. So you guys think Radio Shack might carry one of those 19 v adapters?

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks for all the info.

As for how I set mine, I usually keep it with the slowest sweep and the chill on a reasonable level that doesn't change pitch. But after reading about how you set your up, I may adopt some different tactics. I love to make weird space ship noises and stuff.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

I may adopt some different tactics. I love to make weird space ship noises and stuff.

It can certainly get into the spaceship zone. For the majority of songs, I keep the Speed very low and adjust the Chill (rate) to taste, as you mentioned. I find the Speed especially has a very large degree of change. It's easy to get into to space, it takes a subtle hand to keep it down to earth. But, man, it's fun to play around with.

• 3 months later...

Archived