Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz is dead

Billster

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I hate to admit it but I felt the same way at one time.

It was due to sheer ignorance, being close minded, and having a neanderthal like zero tolerance for anything that didn't have a rock, blues or Dixieland backbeat type of feel (hey you have your flame suit on, so hopefully that won't burn you).

After making an effort to cultivate an appreciation for jazz, and finding some real jem recordings out there amidst the lots of stuff I still don't like, I find that genuine cool jazz (NOT SMOOTH!!!YECH!!!) is one of my favorite listening and playing experiences.

Well, for starters, I don't really have very well defined tastes. I'm not fanatical on styles and I like a lot of different things including bluegrass, industrial and world music (how I hate that term though!).

I suppose that if I went out of my way, I'd learn to love jazz, but hey... if I've got to teach myself to appreciate it then I wonder whether it's worth bothering with. I mean, jeez, do I have to do everything? ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Greg Howe is a metal guy. I bet he can dabble in jazz like alot of guys but in order to be a GREAT jazz player it has to be your craft I think.

Like I am sure a guy like Steve Vai could dabble and do a decent job, but he wouldn't be able to beat a real jazz player anymore than a jazz player could smoke him playing rock/metal.

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

Originally posted by Lynksys:

Jazz is not dead...

Listen to Greg Howe...

wow, really? i thought he was a metal guy? recommend any specific jazz albums he's done? i'd be way curious to check that out.
He's proven that he can definitely play over rapidly moving chord changes and key centers on his more fusiony albums.

Most metal guys sound great when they get 1 chord/key centers per measure or more.

Look at Yngwie. The cat definitely can play melodically w/chops, but harmonically, all he has shown is that he can blast off in a single minor key over 1 chord over the duration of 2 measures.

Greg howe incorporates traceable bebop phraseology w/chromatics and outlines the chords rather than just arbitrarily blasting off into scale land just because he knows that's the scale which fits the key

Check out his stuff w/Kotzen from '95 on up.

He is not playing straight ahead Jazz, but i think you can put him in the fusion category no problem along side holdsworth, henderson, etc . .

Thank you so much Caputo...I was about to give a few explanations, but as they say, "you've cristalized my thoughts elequently".

Thanks again Caputo!!!

Oh, and BTW...For those interested, get yourself 'Extraction' by Greg Howe...you'll see what I mean.!!!

I've just finished reading a book on Django Reinhardt, which is only relevant her as I came across a comment by Duke Ellington from c.1946 that "We've already quit using the term 'jazz'... "

Maybe the way to reinvigorate things, artificially, would be for someone to coin a new term with different connotations.

Archived