Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wilson Pickett - R.I.P.

LPCustom

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LPCustom:

Wilson Pickett passed away today at 64. For those who don't know he had "soul" (although they are considered rock standards) hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour".

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060119/D8F81DPG0.html

Also "634-5789", "Land of 1,000 Dances", and he covered "Hey, Jude", added a little stank, and in the process redefined the song...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Really sad, his voice said soul like no other. Didn`t he do a song called I`ve Been Loving You Too Long`? dang that number can give me chills. `Try a Little Tenderness` too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, Skip - those were both done by Otis Redding. The mistake, however, is understandable; Otis and the Wicked Pickett were contemporaries who recorded on the same label and they both had tough and gravelly yet expressive voices.

Yes, it's great to appreciate great singers! I've worked with a couple of them, and it's wonderful to be onstage with someone who can really make a song come alive for the audience.. and humbling, too.. I want my guitar solo (if one is needed) to add to the performance, not be mere wanking!

I remember one performance my bandmate Susy did that we recorded, and I remember thinking, "for me to take a solo on THAT one would be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa!"

This was very sad news. 64 is too young in this day and age.

I used to play with a bass player that was a side man for Wilson Pickett back in the 60's. He told some very funny stories about their tours. Much debauchery and decadence. I love Wilson Pickett stuff, he was a huge influence on our band.

He will be missed.

Really sad, his voice said soul like no other. Didn`t he do a song called I`ve Been Loving You Too Long`? dang that number can give me chills. `Try a Little Tenderness` too.

Wow, my screwup. That`s what I get for not listening to more of his music. Thanks for correction.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah, the world wouldn't have ben the same place without him and his songs! Here's to living in the wake of a great one...

Wow, my screwup. That`s what I get for not listening to more of his music. Thanks for correction.
I'd say, it's a compliment to Wilson Pickett (and to Otis Redding) to be confused with someone else of such talent, and with such good songs...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived