Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ear Meals

Tone Taster

• Leo Kottke: The Sailor's Grave On The Prairie
  • Brian Eno: An (Ending) Ascent, 1/2, Everything Ponders In The Night, Here He Comes
  • The Stones: Love In Vain (most versions)
  • Ry Cooder: She's Leaving The Bank, Tattler
  • The Church: Lousiana, Lost, Is This Where You Live, Bel-Air
  • The Chills: Pink Frost, Subamrine Bells
  • The Passions: I'm In Love With a German Filmstar
  • Marc Ribot: Aurora En Pekin

Among others... Not terribly current, is it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautifully Broken - Gov't Mule- both live and studio versions.

Rain Song - Led Zeppelin - the live "Song Remains" version.

That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore - Los Lobos

All Night Thing - Temple of the Dog

Cross Eyed Cat - Muddy Waters

I'm the One & Here About It Later - Van Halen

Lay It Down - Ratt

I could go on forever...

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Originally posted by AlChuck:

I'll go a little afield from the guitar realm with some of my particular favorites here:

• Jean-Luc Ponty's solo on "50-50" from Zappa's Apostrophe
  • Jaco Pastorius' bass parts in "Suite: Golden Dawn" (the funky section) from Al DiMeola's Land of the Midnight Sun, "Night Passage" from Weather Report's Night Passage, and "In France They Kiss on Main Street" from Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light
  • Wayne Shorter's solos on "Aja" from Steely Dan's Aja and "Ponta de Areia" from his Native Dancer
  • Freddie Hubbard's solo on "Maiden Voyage" from Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage
  • Jeff Beck's solos on "Journey to Love" from Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love and "The Saint and the Rascal" from Narada Michael Walden's In the Garden of Love Light

Lots more, but that's enough for now...

Good stuff, I'm faniliar w/most of those passages, some I will have to go dig for

Originally posted by Caputo:

Lukather's rhythm part on "I keep forgettin" - Michael Mc Donald

His 2nd solo on Rosanna

Wow. I absolutely love Luke's Rosanna solos. They've been my favorites for years.

Another nice rhythm part is on Lionel Richie's Running with the Night. The little single note part at the beginning that partners with the keys. And when the kick drum comes in, you can really hear the genius of the rhythm guitar part. And Luke's solos on that are great, too. Supposedly he was just warming up on those and didn't know tape was rolling.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Jedro:

Another nice rhythm part is on Lionel Richie's Running with the Night. . . . {CLIP} And Luke's solos on that are great, too. Supposedly he was just warming up on those and didn't know tape was rolling.

Yup, Running with the Night is a long forgotten Gem of guitar genius :D

Archived