Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ear Meals

Tone Taster

What specific tunes/solos with guitar work (not just artisits in general, please) do you listen to which are as delightful as say, eating a good meal?

I really love listening to Stevie Ray's Riviera Paradise

Holdsworth's soolos on Road Games, Devil Take the Hindmost, Three Sheets to The Wind.

Yngwie's Black Star and Perpetual.

Michael Schenker's solo on Rock Bottom off of the live Strangers in the Night.

Django Reinhardt's ELECTRIC guitar solo on Night and Day

There are many more, but time is short right now . . .

EDIT

Also include favorite tunes/solos w delicious guitar tones (amp/guitar matchups, etc. . .)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh too many but lets start with Ernie Isley

live it up

summer breeze

SRV ROP

AL Dimeola "Mediterranean Sundance

" " Race With Devil On Spanish Highway

{the last solo}

VH I'm the one

Hendrix have you ever been to electic ladyland

off the loose ends album

Hendrix Machine Gun

and list goes on..........

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I posted that before I was done.

Anyways, those choices are all great!!

I would choose 'A simple rhyme' by VH

'No one at the bridge' Alex Lifeson

'Non brewed condiment' Allan Holdsworth

'Goodbye Stranger' Roger Hodgson (supertramp)

'Hotel California' Eagles

Anything I have heard by Johnny Hiland

J'attendrai- Django

'Holding Pattern'-Junior Brown

'Party Lights'-Junior Brown

'There I go again' Joe Walsh (james gang)

'Ten years gone' Jimmy Page

'Dirty Movies intro' EVH

'Oddball'-Leo Kottke

'Airproofing'-Leo Kottke

'Celtic Cowboy'-Doyle Dykes

'Diary of a Madman middle solo'- Randy Rhoads

'Hellecaster's theme song' Jerry Donahue solo

'Drop Dead Legs' VH

'Outta Love' VH

'Somebody get me a Doctor' VH

'High Landrons' Eric Johnson

'Next August' Joel Jackson (one of my buddies)

'Mississippi Queen' Leslie West

The ending lick accompanied by the snare from the 'bomber' by James Gang'

Top jimmy - VH

Girl Gone Bad- VH

The ending lick accompanied by the snare from the 'bomber' by James Gang'
Are you talking about "Cast Your Fate To the Wind", the Vince Guaraldi tune Walsh covered at ehe end of the instrumental portion in the middle of The Bomber Medley"?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover (from his first ACL appearance)

I Wonder As I Wander - Mark Baldwin (Red Hot Christmas Blues)

Ain't No Grave - Russ Taff (Under Their Influence)

Return to Forever - Vulcan Worlds (Where Have I known You Before) and The Battle of the Jester & the Tyrant (Romantic Warrior-in fact, pretty much all of both albums).

Orange Blossom Special - The Hellecasters

Message In A Bottle & Regatta De Blanc - The Police (Regatta De Blanc)

Feelin' Bad Blues - Ry Cooder (from Crossroads)

Rock & Roll Medley & Mean Town Blues - Johnny Winter & Rick Derringer (Live Johnnie Winter And)

Batuka/Ain't Got Nobody to Depend On/Taboo- Santana (untitled)

Riviera Paradise - Stevie Ray Vaughn (In Step)

You Are There - Ashley Cleveland (You Are There)

Slippin' Into Darkness - War

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

There are many, many!

OTMH: Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower and Drifting

McLaughlin - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat

Robben Ford - Ain't Got Nothing But The Blues

Amos Garrett (with Butterfield's Better Days): Please Send Me Someone to Love; and his live version of "Sleepwalk"

Roy Buchanan: Pete's Blues

Steve Cropper: the rhythm fills on Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay"

Clarence White on the Byrds "Jesus Is Just Alright" and some of the live stuff from "Untitled".

I could go on for days! Oh, Django Reinhardt's "Nuages" and "Melodie au Crepuscule" with the clarinet. Wes on "Willow Weep For Me".

By the way, I just downloaded the sheet music for Nuages from mandozine.com for free, in case anyone is interested. The fingerings are mando fingerings but that shouldn't be a stumbling block to guys like you!

Oh, and I love the guitar part on Al B. Sure's "Night and Day". Anybody know who played it?

And that old R&B hit, "Smiling Faces" from the '70s, that has an instrument that sounds like a 12-string but it's not: an odd one I've never heard before or since to my knowledge. Does anybody know what that instrument was?

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Smiling Faces Sometimes - I heard the Undisputed Truth version that was on the radio, and didn't know there was another version. I have it on a cassette I bought for $2 or so..

Brother Man...I found this site about the band http://www.the-undisputed-truth.com/guestbook/thanks.html

and it rawks...left a question to see if anyone knows...I'll also get my bass player to download that version and see if our collective musical experience figure it out....did it sound like an electric sitar, coz that was a happening thing in soul music of that era.

Hello Cleveland

Yours in Blue Steels

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by guitar_slut:

You can always blame the hobbit, everyone else does!!! LOL

Ahhh would that be as in BAD HOBBIT?? or NASTY HOBBIT?? :D
Well since you asked, probably more like how Gandalf described me....

If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes. There is a lot more in him than you guess, and a deal more than he has any idea of himself. You may (possibly) all live to thank me yet.

But I understand the confusion!

Hello Cleveland

Yours in Blue Steels

You Really Got Me... both versions, Kinks and VH, are great and both guitar solos are great!

Chinese Rock... again, both versions are great by The Ramones and the Heartbreakers.

Panama - VH. Great song, guitar solo (not unlike You Really Got Me), great DLR vocals!

All My Ghosts - Frank Black and the Catholics. Great song and guitar solo.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• 1 month later...

First I have to take offense at the thread title, "Ear Candy." Ear Candy implies melodic fluff that is cheap and sweet but all empty calories. To me the stuff people are listing is more like "Ear Gourmet Meal," the sublime good stuff that really hits our souls as well as our taste buds.

I'll go a little afield from the guitar realm with some of my particular favorites here:

• Jean-Luc Ponty's solo on "50-50" from Zappa's Apostrophe
  • Jaco Pastorius' bass parts in "Suite: Golden Dawn" (the funky section) from Al DiMeola's Land of the Midnight Sun, "Night Passage" from Weather Report's Night Passage, and "In France They Kiss on Main Street" from Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light
  • Wayne Shorter's solos on "Aja" from Steely Dan's Aja and "Ponta de Areia" from his Native Dancer
  • Freddie Hubbard's solo on "Maiden Voyage" from Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage
  • Jeff Beck's solos on "Journey to Love" from Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love and "The Saint and the Rascal" from Narada Michael Walden's In the Garden of Love Light

Lots more, but that's enough for now...

Originally posted by AlChuck:

First I have to take offense at the thread title, "Ear Candy." Ear Candy implies melodic fluff that is cheap and sweet but all empty calories. To me the stuff people are listing is more like "Ear Gourmet Meal," the sublime good stuff that really hits our souls as well as our taste buds.

I'll go a little afield from the guitar realm with some of my particular favorites here:

• Jean-Luc Ponty's solo on "50-50" from Zappa's Apostrophe
  • Jaco Pastorius' bass parts in "Suite: Golden Dawn" (the funky section) from Al DiMeola's Land of the Midnight Sun, "Night Passage" from Weather Report's Night Passage, and "In France They Kiss on Main Street" from Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light
  • Wayne Shorter's solos on "Aja" from Steely Dan's Aja and "Ponta de Areia" from his Native Dancer
  • Freddie Hubbard's solo on "Maiden Voyage" from Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage
  • Jeff Beck's solos on "Journey to Love" from Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love and "The Saint and the Rascal" from Narada Michael Walden's In the Garden of Love Light

Lots more, but that's enough for now...

AMEN !

i dont dare mention my selections for id have to think a lot =p but out of the top of my mind id say hotel california solo (eatles ) , living dead beat ( children of bodom ), Afraid to dance ( don ross ), IF (satriani ) ... there are just so many ...

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Archived