Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st Multi-Effects Pedal

fugel

I'm looking for some advice on what to buy as my first multi-effects pedal. Looking for wah, flanger, delay, chorus etc etc Not gigging, but looking to add some 'spice' into my practising. I play mostly rock and blues.

Seem to be torn between either the Digitech RP200A or Zoom G2.1u. Both seem to be similar, but the Zoom has the added extra of being able to connect up to your PC.

Has anyone used these pedals or have any suggestions. Cheers.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can connect the Digitech to your computer. I have one that I have recorded with exclusively. I just go from the headphones out, to the line in on the computer, fire up the recording software, and off you go. And it has built in drum patterns. I also use it live every weekend.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

I want a digital multi-effects pedal, as I don't have the money to go and buy 4-5 individual units. Just want something to inspire me, in my playing. Only been learning the guitar for a year and a half and feel ready now to experiment with different effects.

BriBaby - What cable do you need to hook up the digitch and what software are you using.. It doesn't mention anything on the digitech web-site in order to do this..

thanks for your replies so far...

The Digitech RPX400 and the GNX models have a USB port built in.

I have a Edirol audio interface so I plug the output straight to that with a guitar cable. I have an RP200A and a RP300A. The RP200 has fewer knobs, so it is easier to adjust. Since the RP300A has more knobs I spend more time tweaking.

Another cool feature of the Digitech RP300A is the learn a lick mode. You can record a lick or phrase or passage from a cd, the slow it down on play back. Sounds very useful.

I've used the RP200A recording bass tracks too. I'm not a vocalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been using it for vocals as well, you just need to use a preamp into the unit then send the output to an amp or recording device. I do this just for fun though.

If your looking to learn and have fun, probably the most important consideration is the control layout. The digitech GNX series seem to be good in this respect. However, my personal recomendation would be one of the $150 Danelectro pedal boards with five individual effects, daisy chain, cables and power supply. Also, it's upgradable in the sense that you can add/swap other affordable and surprisingly good Dano effects. I think you would have more fun and gain more experience in a shorter period of time with individual effects than with a multi with more features.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I just upgraded from a Digitech RP50 to a VAMP2. For just playing around it's a great deal. Got it used for $100. Come's with a gig bag and 2-button floor controller. Pretty simple to use too as all of the controls are very amp like.

Plus, since it's a desktop unit, the bonus of not passing out as the blood rushes to your head evertime you bend down to tweak a patch.

I think the Line6 POD 2.0 is also in the same price range as the RP200A and the zoom.

Archived