Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Positive Innovations/Trends in Modern Music?

Ricardo.

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Following up on the point of everyone "sounding like they're drawing from the same well" due to too much influence from "world music" [i hate that term!], here is another scenario:

I have heard rock bands from all over the world who sing in their native language but there is absolutely NOTHING in their sound that would indicate that they weren't American Garage! I clearly remember an Indonesian church who had services occasionally at the church I attended, where the service was in Indonesian, the food was Indonesian, the books for sale also... but you couldn't tell it by the band! Actually, those kids spoke perfect English, so it's likely they grew up here...

Not that they HAVE to incorporate home-grown influences, of course. But the current state of affairs is pretty generic!

The positive side of it is that nothing is stopping people from adding things from their own culture [or others] if they want to!

Have you heard of Thermal and a Quarter ? Definitely a rock sound, but definitely influenced by the bands roots in India. :thu:

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Plant another Jimmy Page and I guarantee that another Guitar God will not emerge.

I don't agree,---just when you LEAST expect it, he or she will emerge--.

The mind is infinite and so is its ability to create. It like before the airplane was developed people would probably not even consider going to the moon. But we did all of that in the last 100 years.

That's right. When you least expect it...EXPECT IT!

Did anybody predict Joe Satriani would have breakout success with "Surfing With the Alien"?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I have heard rock bands from all over the world who sing in their native language but there is absolutely NOTHING in their sound that would indicate that they weren't American Garage!

Ahhhh, yes. That's something I hate about Italian rock bands. The better ones sound JUST LIKE they were British or Ameican. So at THAT point, why bother with them?

Bear in mind though, that rock and roll was BORN at a time of mass world communication and that non American rock bands (with the possible exception of Brits) are more or less performing an imported art form. It's like saying that opera sounds European.

All in all though, foreign rock bands do sometimes touch on subjects that are unusual to an American perspective. Or they may pick a certain aspect of rock and run with it. The Scandinavian metal scene is one example.

Originally posted by Billster:

So, from what well will spring the coming innovations?
The question was not "what stinks about current trends"

I'm not going to push this issue further here, because there are some other replies that are topical and useful.

Ahhh....actually, my response was aimed at Vince's comment about the blurring of boundaries in styles and genre...so I was not just commenting about "what stinks..." as you put it.

Heck...if all we do with threads is hold hands and sing "We are the world"...

things will get boring rather quick. :)

I think most of my posts have been well thought out, lucid and quite spot-on...regardless if you do or don't want to buy into any of it.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Who knows what will happen.

They say it's always darkest before the dawn. And in a way, we're at a point not dissimilar to what was happening in 1976, when the recording industry thought they had everything worked out.

Maybe there'll be another grass roots reaction against the "corporate approved" media. Everybody seems to be sick of the current situation and are voting with their wallets by not buying as many records as they once did.

I notice that certain movements such as the electronica dance/rave thing that did so well in the 90s have gathered huge followings without a great deal of corporate support, so it's not as if there is no way out.

The question of course, from our perspective, is whether guitars will be a very big part of this eventual grass roots thing. Possibly. I certainly hope so. :)

The question of course, from our perspective, is whether guitars will be a very big part of this eventual grass roots thing. Possibly. I certainly hope so. :)
Well so far...I got at least one guitar lick in every tune I'm recording for my current project! :cool:

I may(?) let one slip by with only some piano doodling as the "lead" part... ;)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.

They say it's always darkest before the dawn. And in a way, we're at a point not dissimilar to what was happening in 1976, when the recording industry thought they had everything worked out.

Maybe there'll be another grass roots reaction against the "corporate approved" media. Everybody seems to be sick of the current situation and are voting with their wallets by not buying as many records as they once did.

At least this supports the concept that indeed something stinks about current trends :)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Plant another Jimmy Page and I guarantee that another Guitar God will not emerge.

To clarify what I meant: I do not think that people today are any less innovative than they were in the 70's. I just think that as rock was becoming fully accessible, it was perfectly ripe for people to expand upon the genre and take the genre to accessible grounds. Now, I believe that we're in the middle of a transition... To something.

I've learned a thing or two about the history of (visual) art and it has a tendency to be pendulum-like. For example, it commonly shifts between art that is highly emotional, and then unemotional. If you're an "emotional" artist attempting to draw at the PEAK of "unemotional" art, chances are you're not going to be as memorable as an equally talented "unemotional" artist. Substitute "emotional" for impressionists, High Renaissance etc. and "unemotional" for post-impressionists, cubists etc. :)

You are right, the pendulum has been swinging.. CONSTANTLY.. for centuries now!

These questions that we debate passionately... technique vs. feeling, etc... whether so and so plays better than so and so, and here's why.. were debated passionately at coffeehouses and taverns long before any of us came on the scene.. and they never resolved any of these questions EITHER!

That being said, it's still fun to debate these cosmic questions.. otherwise, why bother??

Archived