Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I feel like a complete PINHEAD!!!!

S. Yeti Bigfoot, Esq.

I bought a Tascam US-112 USB interface (and Mics, mic stands, headphones, etc.) so I could start doing some recording on my PC. It came with some software...CuBase LE sequencing software and GigaStudio 3 sampling software. I think I can handle the sequencing software....with some practice. However, I am completely lost in the GigaStudio 3. Holy SMOKES! That user interface is scary looking.

Has anybody else used this stuff before? I assume that somehow you are supposed to be able to take sampled sounds (such as drumes, strings, piano, etc.) and lay them down on a track created in CuBase?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never even loaded that stuff, but it is supposedf to be quite nifty.

Let me make a suggestion though.... if you are trying to get up to speed with mics, interconnects, and Cubase, let the soft synths sit for a while.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

I never even loaded that stuff, but it is supposedf to be quite nifty.

Let me make a suggestion though.... if you are trying to get up to speed with mics, interconnects, and Cubase, let the soft synths sit for a while.

Bill

I'm thinking that might be a damned good suggestion! :thu:

It's probably going to take me a bit to get the hang of CuBase. I keep trying to relate it to an analog multi-track tape recorder....

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

It's probably going to take me a bit to get the hang of CuBase. I keep trying to relate it to an analog multi-track tape recorder....

It is so much more....

If you have trouble, get back to me. But the idea is pretty simple... you can slice and dice pieces and parts... example, record the vocal three times, on three tracks. Pick the pieces/parts that you like best from each one, throw the rest away, make one nice comped vocal.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

It is so much more....

If you have trouble, get back to me. But the idea is pretty simple... you can slice and dice pieces and parts... example, record the vocal three times, on three tracks. Pick the pieces/parts that you like best from each one, throw the rest away, make one nice comped vocal.

Bill

For my vocals I'm gonna need to use a lot more than 3 tracks. :D

I wonder if there's a Cubase for Dummies book out? That would be right up my alley....

I found a Tutorial video...for $50.00. It might be worth it....

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

It is so much more....

Bill

For my vocals I'm gonna need to use a lot more than 3 tracks. :D

I wonder if there's a Cubase for Dummies book out? That would be right up my alley....

I think it is Ryan that uses that software all the time maybe he can help ya get started and save you some time?

hey, yep its me, i use it almost every day. Any questions i can probably answer on cubase, never have used gigastudio though. I never bought a book or read anything on how to use it, just kinda learned on the fly. If i couldnt figure something out i would search the tutorial for it, but like i said you can ask me too id be glad to help.

Unless your really really gettin into it, you shouldnt need anything other software. Maybe an upgraded version of cubase later on (more effects, more virtual instrument stuff) but otherwise what you have should be plenty.

i just reread you post and as for the instruments, i cant remember if cubase LE has vst instruments. You should be able to go to the "Devices" and then drop that down and it should say "Vst intstruments" and some other vst stuff. If it has that, click on the instrument one and a little blck box will pop up and it has like rows in it, you click in one of the rows and the avaiable instruments pop up...thats if LE has it, let me know and i can help you some more, this part took awhile for me to figure out before i knew what i was doin.

Gigastudio is merely a software sampler. It can be accessed in Cubase as a plug in.

As others have said here, though, you may want to hold off installing it until you get comfortable with Cubase. Also, Gigastudio uses some hefty disk streaming...I'd go with the RECOMMENDED specs, not the MINIMAL specs.

If you have specific Cubase and Gigastudio questions, come on over to the Keyboard Corner forum. A lot of us use that exact system...there's even a Tascam employee that hangs out there once in a while.

"For instance" is not proof.

I bought one of those not too long ago. I haven't used it at all, yet. I've just been too busy with other things. I did install the software on my PC just to be sure the 112 worked (and it does). But I haven't touched it since then. I agree about the interface on the GigaStudio. I just stared at it for a few minutes trying to soak it up. Then shut it down thinking, "I'll tackle this later when I've got time...". Later hasn't come, yet. :rolleyes:

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I bought one of those not too long ago. I haven't used it at all, yet. I've just been too busy with other things. I did install the software on my PC just to be sure the 112 worked (and it does). But I haven't touched it since then. I agree about the interface on the GigaStudio. I just stared at it for a few minutes trying to soak it up. Then shut it down thinking, "I'll tackle this later when I've got time...". Later hasn't come, yet. :rolleyes:

You did better than me! I just stared at it and my brain was paralyzed. I couldn't think anything at all. My wife had to lead me away from the PC...she kept asking why my eyes looked like that.

I'm going to leave that part alone for now and just try to tackle Cubase. Later on, when I find my auxilliary (larger) brain, which I seem to have misplaced, I'll come back to it.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

..... when I find my auxilliary (larger) brain, which I seem to have misplaced, I'll come back to it.
That would be the one that your wife is carrying. No, seriously... just ask her!

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Gigastudio is merely a software sampler. It can be accessed in Cubase as a plug in.

As others have said here, though, you may want to hold off installing it until you get comfortable with Cubase. Also, Gigastudio uses some hefty disk streaming...I'd go with the RECOMMENDED specs, not the MINIMAL specs.

If you have specific Cubase and Gigastudio questions, come on over to the Keyboard Corner forum. A lot of us use that exact system...there's even a Tascam employee that hangs out there once in a while.

Thanks Zero..I'll hop on over there when I figure out enough to even know what questions to ask. :)

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

cubase is very easy once you get your inputs set, for basic recording anyway. You pretty much select the track and hit record and move on to the next one. Like i said when you guys get to it, ask anything, theres not much stuff i can answer questions about (guitar related) but this is an area that i can! :)

Originally posted by RyanVollmer:

hey, yep its me, i use it almost every day. Any questions i can probably answer on cubase, never have used gigastudio though. I never bought a book or read anything on how to use it, just kinda learned on the fly. If i couldnt figure something out i would search the tutorial for it, but like i said you can ask me too id be glad to help.

Unless your really really gettin into it, you shouldnt need anything other software. Maybe an upgraded version of cubase later on (more effects, more virtual instrument stuff) but otherwise what you have should be plenty.

Thanks, Ryan. I will very likely take you up on that......

So far I figured out how to record a mic'ed acoustic guitar on one track....that took me about 30 minutes. Lessee...at that rate I figure I'll be proficient with it in about 17 1/2 years... ;)

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by RyanVollmer:

i saw your setup in a post there Zero...very nice i must say, i see your in chicago...ya know you can give me a call if you ever need any extra help :D

| From: Winthrop Harbor...Just north of Ol'Chicago |

Typical suburbanite response.

Just north of Ol'Chicago, eh? :confused: Like 50 miles? ;)

Anything within 50 miles of Chicago is Chicagoland. :D

That's cool of you to offer, Ryan :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

http://midiasylum.com/images/redrum/redrum_all.jpg

its pretty wild. I wouldnt mind having it at least. I was just kinda jokin about helpin, i think zero has way more knowledge on anything hed be usin than i would.

But a job in a studio would be pretty sweet.

And i think i live about 60 miles outta chicago, in Winthrop Harbor, i think we talked about this before...so im almost there..

I don't know. I learnt CuBase pretty quickly. In under an evening, actually.

Admittedly, the manual I have spends a lot more time on VSTs and all that new fangled stuff rather than how to record live instruments, but it's there. I've never bothered with the VSTs either as I have real guitars already.

Isnt't the CuBase tutorial song a treat? I love the Indian bits but it's all pretty cool.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I don't know. I learnt CuBase pretty quickly. In under an evening, actually.

Admittedly, the manual I have spends a lot more time on VSTs and all that new fangled stuff rather than how to record live instruments, but it's there. I've never bothered with the VSTs either as I have real guitars already.

Isnt't the CuBase tutorial song a treat? I love the Indian bits but it's all pretty cool.

Mine didn't come with a manual or tutorial that I can find unless it's under the Help files. I'll have to look.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Mine didn't come with a manual or tutorial that I can find unless it's under the Help files. I'll have to look.

Uhmmm... that could be a drawback... Maybe if you look under help on the main screen? I think you can access the tutorial from there (well, I'm pretty sure you can).

If you can't find it, I'll have a look over the w/e, assuming nobody's done it already :)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Uhmmm... that could be a drawback... Maybe if you look under help on the main screen? I think you can access the tutorial from there (well, I'm pretty sure you can).

If you can't find it, I'll have a look over the w/e, assuming nobody's done it already :)

I'll check this afternoon and see if it's under Help. I didn't look too much in there because I HATE using help files. I'd much rather have a manual in my hand that I can flip through pages. I do like the video tutorials, though.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

By the way...those that have yet to install GigaStudio....what a TREAT you have in store for you! ;) It is absolutely the most ridiculous, inconvenient, and confusing registration process in the computer industry today.

They don't give you a CD Key with the CD. You have to fill in an email form and submit that and wait for the CD key. They email you the CD Key and you go through the first part of the registration process. Then they email you another key and you have to go through the registration process again to enter THAT key. They don't tell you anywhere (that I could find) that you have to email a plea and petition the court for the CD Key. I had to get an email from the Sales department explaining that and providing me a link to the form that you have to fill out.

Then you get an email from them that says "Warning! You have run the registration program more than once. Normal people don't do that! If you need help, you moron, call the support center!" or something to that effect. :P It looked to me like a good one to ignore.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Well, for many years I have been poster boy and chief diaper washer for the "Real Music Played in Real Time by Real Musicians" society. I was early into the MIDI thing (for a guitar player) and early back out, as I grew ultimately unhappy with having to write ALL THE bass parts, horn parts, drum parts, etc. When I was writing and recording music for product rollouts, industrials, fashion shows and the like, it was very handy, but in the long run, I want to play music with people, not with computers.

What got me to see this particular light... I was working on an industrial and the client wanted to use a particular rock and roll song, and for whatever reason, a bunch of guys popped into my head. So I called them, they came over, we recorded the song.. and I started thinking... "Gee, that was a whoile lotta fun!" Its a lot different from recording other people. This is also what got me into playing out again, though still only a few times a year.

I still use the computer as an editor/recorder, I just don't do much MIDI at all, or soft synths or looping. Funny, I guess, from a guy who was like, a beta tester for products like Acid, Vegas, DOP, Cakewalk, etc. A lot of my recording work comes in the form of remixing and re-recording and mastering or remastering, with some remote recording.

I never could get the hang of Cubase, though it is hugely popular in Europe and growing (due to it being bundled with everything but toilet paper) in the US. I like SAWStudio (the most stable recording app on the planet) Samplitude/Sequoia, Vegas, Sonar... but really, any of the major apps do a fine job and in most cases it just comes down to what 'feels' right to you.... like the difference between a Les Paul and a Strat.

Bill

Steve Martin

"I don't wanna be a pinhead no more!

I just met a nurse that I could go for!"

Sorry for the OT, I just couldn't resist. :D

Taking a class this term where we learn all about MIDI programming. Using something better than Giga, I was told it would take 4 high-end computers to crank out a 110-piece orchestra in real time. I seem to remember people over on the Project Studio setting Giga on a 2nd computer so it wouldn't slow down the DAW to a snail's pace.

I'm still waiting for the "Mariah Carey and other hot singers" sample library. :D But I think it would be weird to crank out new tunes with the Elvis Presley library.

"D.U.M.B., everyone's accusing me!

D.U.M.B., everyone's accusing me!"

Archived