Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hmmm... guitarists who become identified with a particular instrument, then switch

D_dup3

Something to mull over, maybe:

Many guitarists come to fame or start their careers with strong identification with particular instruments, even to the point of it becoming a defining part of their artistic signature but there've been more than a few cases where they later make permanent changes to other models.

Examples:

Clapton: used Les Paul &other Gibsons from early in career to well into his fame then switched to Strats

Peter Green: in emulation of Clapton (like many) used an LP (& his particular guitar became one of the "Holy Grails" of instrumental tone) but later declared that "I don't know; I don't think those guitars are meant for playing blues" :freak:

Conversely, Duane Allman used a Strat exclusively during his sessionman days but (as far as I know) did all the Allman Bros. electric stuff on LPs

Guys who can't make up their minds:

Jimmy Page is also much identified with LPs but apparently did much (most?) of his session work, including many Led Zeppelin records with a Telecaster

Jeff Beck played Teles with the Yardbirds but switched to LPs when he went solo & used them for years...then in the late 1970s/early 1980s switched back to Strats

George Harrison:throughout the Beatles career he moved from Gretsches to Rickenbackers to Gibsons to Fenders

Who else...?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, that stuff doesn't bug me too much. I pay attention for ideas on how to get tones, but there are SO many variables, even within a single model's production run. Then there's the professional recording abilities at the disposal of an artist versus our sound guy who has never run a board before.

It's fun to see whose playing what though... kinda like a soap opera. You wonder: did Fender tick this guy off somehow, so now he's doing a Gibson Signature Model?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by d:

Something to mull over, maybe:

Mnay guitarists come to fame or start their careers with strong identification with particular instruments, even to the point of it becoming a defining part of their artistic signature but there've been more than a few cases where they later make permanent changes to other models.

Examples:

Uhmm...

Pete Townshend (now plays strats)

Leo Kottke (now plays Taylors but his main guitar used to be a Gibson)

Santana, perhaps (played LPs then endorsed Yamahas)

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Eh, that stuff doesn't bug me too much. I pay attention for ideas on how to get tones...

:confused:

I'm not bugged... in fact my point is exactly what you mention: The tonal considerations led to these changes.

Originally posted by d:

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Eh, that stuff doesn't bug me too much. I pay attention for ideas on how to get tones...

:confused:

I'm not bugged... in fact my point is exactly what you mention: The tonal considerations led to these changes.

Nah, I wasn't getting that from you, but it DOES bug some people, and they are just FLOORED when somone plays something other than one particular guitar.

It DID bug me however when a Pepsi(?) commercial depicted a 10-year old Jimi Hendrix reaching for his first guitar... a TELECASTER! WHAT?! Did anyone on the set know ANYTHING about guitars?

Mikegug

With the guys I know,allot of the reasons are differences in the road gear or PA's that are going to be used on different tours. Sometimes it is the players ears that need a different tonal range within the mix live,sometimes if a player adds other instruments to his live tours,like maybe horns or a B3 that might not allways be backing him up he will change. Sometimes (and you will never know this) a player might be having some minor problems with their hands and the slightly different profile will make a difference for awhile. Tons of reasons and not all of them are done only because of getting tired of a particular guitar over another. Changing amps can be a huge reason for changing guitar brands or models within the same brand name.

Originally posted by paully:

I was floored when Rick Derringer went from years with Gibsons(335, LP) to B.C. Rich, and then on to Fender stuff as his goto stage axe.

Paul

And now his signature Warrior guitars. Did you check out his family Christmas album?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

I would most likely feel the same way if I saw Ace Frehly holding a Strat instead of a LP with 3 PUPs.

OK. THAT would floor me. I'm a goober. But in my defense, Space Ace was part of that band that really opened my eyes to music that was not on the radio. It wasn't Rick Springfield or Air Supply.

Mikegug

Originally posted by Squ:

How about Van Halen? He has like 3 different signature guitars.

Forget about the signature guitars, VH and his Kramers were inseparable in my mind for the first decade of his fame. Then Kramer went under and VH began making Wolfgangs with Ernie Ball, then took the design to Peavey. Who has it now? :confused:

I don't really care. But it was weird to see Van Halen on anything but a Kramer strat-clone.

I know he's a bass player, but how about Geddy Lee? He was a Ric 4001 player until the Steinberger came out. He and Paul McCartney (another Ric player after the Hofner violin bass) discovered Wal and played those wonderful instruments almost exclusively for a long time. Now Geddy's back with a Ric signature, right?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Nugent went from byrdlands to LPs to PRS

Roy Buchanan usually played Teles, but on one album cover he's holding a black LP Custom.

Jeff Healey is known for Strats, but I've seen him with a black LP Custom

Hendrix had a V

SRV had a dot neck 335

John Fogarty played Rics, LPs, Strats...

G.E. Smith owns at least one of absolutely everything, as do Billy Gibbons and Rick Neilson

Neil Schon plays everything

Joe Perry plays LPs, Strats, Gretsch's...

I don't think too many notable guitarists are so one-dimensional that they only rely on one model all the time, unless it's their paid, endorsed trademark.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Yes Yes I know the feeling! my fans always get very upset when I switch from the LP to the Sears Silver tone! But HAY...I'm the artist..they will adjust or I will deny them the ultimate pleasure of hearing me! :D:thu:

Don't wander off there, Gramps!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/265.gif:D

I saw Derringer at a small club about a year ago. He had a PRS with 3 P-90's and a very similar PRS as a back-up.

Gibson now makes a signature Les Paul for Neal Schon. It has some kind of sustainiac next to the neck humbucker and a Floyd Rose trem bridge.

Buddy Guy played his signature Strat for years. At one show about 3 years ago, he played a gold-top LP for his whole set. If you see him now, he's playing an early 70's Telecaster Custom.

I like . . . . . GUITARS.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

HUH!!! OH YEA... now where was I??? yea something about ...wow I gotta think :rolleyes::D

You were talking about your upcoming Jimmie Vaughan mini-set!

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/071.gif

Originally posted by Bluesape:

HUH!!! OH YEA... now where was I??? yea something about ...wow I gotta think :rolleyes::D

You were talking about your upcoming Jimmie Vaughan mini-set!

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/071.gif

Now you wouldn't be trying to steer me in the wrong direction now would ya old timer? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bbqbob:

Did Albert King play anything other than an Flying V?

I think the start of his career preceded Flying Vs, Bob, but they became synonymous with him, his tone, and his music, not to mention his taste in gorgeous guitars! :D:D

Ok well now your talking buddy! talk about diverse material, that's just gotta be in one of the mini sets..thanks for the heads up on that one :thu:

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing10.gif:D:D

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I know he's a bass player, but how about Geddy Lee? He was a Ric 4001 player until the Steinberger came out. He and Paul McCartney (another Ric player after the Hofner violin bass) discovered Wal and played those wonderful instruments almost exclusively for a long time. Now Geddy's back with a Ric signature, right?

Actually no, Geddy Lee has been using Fender Jazz basses for quite some time now and his signature model is a Jazz.

Good call, I was thinking about Geddy while reading this thread.

I've seen a few pictures of Frank Marino with a Strat and that is just all wrong. He's an SG man. :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived