Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Concept for Ellwood's band:

Dr. Ellwood

Well probably NOT a new concept at all but new to us. Our drummer Bill had an idea at rehearsal to take one night per month and try doing dedicated half sets of specific groups for the people. This would be about six tunes for each group back to back and then six or more from another group back to back to end the set. We asked for a show of hands from the audience this last saturday night and it was like 100% positive for the idea. We will launch this idea two weeks from last friday night and see what happens? I think this might be fun. Have any of you ever tried this concept? and if so how did it work out with your audience?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Your "dummer"? :D

Was that a Freudian slip?

Our old drummer was named Doug. I think one night, instead of introducing him as "Doug on drums"...I introduced him as "Dumb on drugs". WHOOPS... :red face:

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing20.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Ellwood, classic rock stations here in Tampa (and most likely elsewhere) do mini-sets of 6 tunes (they actually call 'em 6 packs) of bands all the time

Your Stones mini set (I am just arbitrarily assuming that you WILL have one) should have one from the 60's, 70's, 80's. 90's

You should have "You Got Me Rockin'" for your 90's one, sir

CAPUTO: Yes a Stones set and yes for sure You Got Me Rockin and Can't ya Hear Me Knockin also. There are lots of Animals fans there too so we will do a mini set of their stuff too. A Beatles set for sure, we have a J.Giles set planned too and a Bob Segar set of coarse. I know they want a BTO set and a Cream set. A Moody Blues set and a Deep Purple set. I want a Traffic set )don't know if it will go over? or just some Steve Winwood at least. Alman Bros. We will get lots of choices for them.

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

We did that kind of thing with the Scottish Showband I worked with in the 60's & 70's.

What exactly is a "showband"? Is that like a normal band but with brass and keys? I notice the blues brothers describe themselves as a "show band".

How do you define a "show band"? I've never gotten around to asking.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Sounds like a neat idea. :D

How does the audience decide which set they wanna hear first (and second and third and...)

Or don't they?

No Vince, we got their initial buy-in with the show of hands and we know from over two years worth of playing for them what they like. We will post what sets will be done the prior week so they can see what's comming up next :thu:

We did that kind of thing with the Scottish Showband I worked with in the 60's & 70's.

What exactly is a "showband"? Is that like a normal band but with brass and keys? I notice the blues brothers describe themselves as a "show band".

In my area it usually means more instruments than a normal rock/pop unit uses. Yes like horns and keyboards usually congas and other percussion and here it can mean comedy skits and dancers many times. Usually a better light show and a wider variety of material too. Lets see what Geoff says in his neck of the world, but I bet it's pretty close.

Ellwood:

That definately soungs like a good concept. I think you have a great attitude towards your audience (in that you really care that they are entertained and getting thier money's worth of music).

So I'm not trying to be facitious, when I ask:

Do you ever play songs and let the audience sing along, and do you play requests if you know the songs? I think you've talked about that before, I just can't remember what you said.

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

Ellwood:

That definately soungs like a good concept. I think you have a great attitude towards your audience (in that you really care that they are entertained and getting thier money's worth of music).

So I'm not trying to be facitious, when I ask:

Do you ever play songs and let the audience sing along, and do you play requests if you know the songs? I think you've talked about that before, I just can't remember what you said.

They do sing along on things like Sweet Home Alabama and We will rock you and the OHHHHHH and Ya Ya Ya things in the Beatles tunes :D Yea they are always singing with us...I see em out there, I tell them they can sing but don't think they are getting paid too!!! :thu: Yes on the requests, but I still insist on putting them in the sets at the end because I don't stray very far away from the set lists. What you might be thinking of is I have a strict rule on guys sitting in with us, if they want to attend a rehearsal and work out a tune with us we will be glad to let them sit in (then we get to audition them) I won't let a shabby product be foisted on our audience/management. Once they have come to a rehearsal though, they can always sit in if there is time within the sets.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

There are lots of bands I would like to hear 6 songs by. It lets you get into an artist without becoming a tribute band.

So which 6 Doors songs did you pick? :)

dAT fUnNy :D
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

There are lots of bands I would like to hear 6 songs by. It lets you get into an artist without becoming a tribute band.

Then right in to 6 Jimmy Vaughn songs dude you would knock em dead ain't i tuff enough

:cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

The Scottish Showband was losely modelled on the Irish Showband.

Now I know that isn't much help, but lee was pretyy much right insomuch as it was a big band with all sorts of instruments in it.

When I joined, there were about 14 people in it.

Organ (Vox Continental), bass, 2xguitars, drums, 2xaccordians, 3xsingers and the rest played harmonicas - mouth organs, or moothies, as we called them.

We also played a lot of Scottish stuff.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Dream Theater does a similar thing whenever they have a two-night stand in a particular city. On the second night they play through a whole album of a particular band. Their fans have very positively received the whole concept, so I would expect your band to receive the same positive feedback. Definitely a cool idea :thu:
YtseJam your Majesty!

Originally posted by Caputo:

Isn't "low spark" a set in itself?

Aw yeah! That album is the real deal, maybe the best thing Traffic ever did as a whole. But, any Traffic set would have to have "Feelin' Alright", "Dear Mr Fantasy", and possibly "Shanghai Noodle Factory".

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Then right in to 6 Jimmy Vaughn songs dude you would knock em dead ain't i tuff enough

:cool:

Naw, why would they want that, when all they ever would have to do to hear it is walk by anybodys garage band playin in the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived