Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GuitarPort or PODxt

Sauntman

What are the major differences between a Line 6 GuitarPort (with RiffTracker software) and a PODxt (or POD 2.0)? I am looking for something I can use to record directly onto my computer (in the event I come up with what I think is a good riff) and also to practice while playing along with my favorite bands. If I am not mistaken, you can remove the guitar from a track and you can play in its place. Is one major difference the PODxt can be used with my amp for the effects and amp modeling whereas the GuitarPort is totally reliant on my computer and cannot be used with an amp? Can the PODxt do everything a GuitarPort can do and then some? :confused:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I connect my PODxt to my Apple Powerbook with a USB cable, and I'm able to record my guitar directly into Garageband or ProTools while monitoring the playback through the headphone jack of my PODxt. I'm also able to jam along with my CD's and MP3's by monitoring iTunes through my PODxt. Essentially, you're able to use the PODxt as a second soundcard. It's cool. Can't speak for the GuitarPort.

You ask a good question! Seems that Line6 has come out with some nice, "revolutionary" products that blend todays computer tech with traditional guitar gear. They now have a bunch of products that seem to overlap somewhat in terms of functionality so it does make it hard to choose between them.

I don't own either but have the same questions so I looked at the Line6 website for some answers.

http://www.line6.com/

It looks like the GuitarPort is designed for use with your electric guitar, WIndows-based PC and the internet. I don't see how it will function as a stand-alone effects box that you can play into your guitar amp. While it has a subset of the sounds/models that the PODxt comes with, it seems to have other software tools that allow you to easily jam along with pre-recorded music either imported from your cds or downloaded online.

The PODxt on the other hand seems to be more of a super-effects box that you can use along with and amp or alone into headphones or a PC for recording. I'm sure you can plug-in a sound source to the PODxt so you can jam along.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

i assume the Guitarport is an interface for using the Line 6 software that comes with the Guitarport.

the Podxt is a self contained unit that can be used in many ways.

for recording i would probably go for the Podxt, seeing it is self contained it would seem (to me) to be easier to manipulate.

the Guitarport is more of a tool for internet lessons and jamming, besides with the software being on the PC it would (IMHO) be more annoying when using it to record.

i like knobs not pc menus.

someone will correct me on this i am sure.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

i assume the Guitarport is an interface for using the Line 6 software that comes with the Guitarport.

the Podxt is a self contained unit that can be used in many ways.

for recording i would probably go for the Podxt, seeing it is self contained it would seem (to me) to be easier to manipulate.

the Guitarport is more of a tool for internet lessons and jamming, besides with the software being on the PC it would (IMHO) be more annoying when using it to record.

i like knobs not pc menus.

someone will correct me on this i am sure.

From what I have been able to determine, I think you are correct. I agree about the knobs too. Because I am sort of a beginner, I would like to have a practice tool and I was wondering if the GuitarPort would be better for this. However, if the PODxt can also be used as a practice tool, jamming along with MP3's or CD and can be used to record my own riffs, I would go that route. I only plan to use it around the house so playing live is not a primary issue. Still, the fact the PODxt is a stand alone device that could potentially be used to play live without having to haul around a computer with me, I would prefer that.

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I have never used it but GuitarPort online features are supposed to be available to PODxt owners as well.

To my knowledge, there is nothing that the GuitarPort hardware does that the PODxt does not do.

Yeah, if the PODxt can do everything the GuitarPort can do, but also be used as a stand alone modeling device, I would rather pay the extra $$ and go with the POD.

Get the PodXT or better yet the PodXT live(which includes the footboard you might also want, and should get imo). You can play the pod through an amp, a PA, or a stand alone recording device; non of which you can do with the guitar port. I've owned both.

Archived