Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm new

Connally

Hello all,

I am brand spankin' new to this board, well to any guitar forum for that matter, and i just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am 23 and extremely uneducated to the guitar. I've been playing for about 10 years. I'm still not that good, I've never had lessons or read any material that I have been able to remember. Now with that aside, I have a about a billion and a half questions, most of which are about recording.

My gear is as follows...

line 6 pod xt pro

esp ltd deluxe h-1000

fender doublw fat strat with DiMarzio pick ups

peavey 5150 combo

bbe sonic maximizer

My questions will come later, as for now, hello and nice to meet you all.

Dallas

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Connelly. :thu:

You know, anybody that knows anything about anything knows that nobody knows everything about everything. So keep learning and make it fun. Cause no fun = sucks.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Aloha Connally! Being a question asker myself, I can tell you you've come to the right place - everyone here is great and really knowledgeable.

I'm also curious - what's your experience been with the sonic maximizer? I actually have one too that I love and wouldn't play without but I seldom hear people singing their praises... Am I alone in my love of BBE?

(oh, and damn 'Zan - great avatar!)

Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

Originally posted by TimEm:

Aloha Connally! Being a question asker myself, I can tell you you've come to the right place - everyone here is great and really knowledgeable.

I'm also curious - what's your experience been with the sonic maximizer? I actually have one too that I love and wouldn't play without but I seldom hear people singing their praises... Am I alone in my love of BBE?

I have the BBE Sonic Stomp, love it with acoustic stuff....

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice rig. I've been looking for a 5150 combo just to try one out.

If you've got questions there's probably someone here with the answers. There's a nice group of knowledgable folks here that enjoy helping others.

Head over to the "roll call" thread and check in.

Born on the Bayou

The bbe is great, I cant play without it, we use it when we are recording mainly, I swap it over to the bass rig too. Well, I'm glad to be welcomed so warmly. In my band Echoes of Terra, we do alot of in-house recording. we have got 2 songs recorded and we have a couple more to be recorded. we are pretty experimental, the heavy stuff has kinda left my system, along with my old band Ecto1. I dont really use any thick chunky distortion anymore, I just dont have the desire to. Unless its needed.

Well to sum it up, thanks again, I'm glad to be here.

Dallas

Yeah, welcome, Conally!

I, like 'Zan, also wanted to ask you about that BBE Sonic Maximizer. Do you use it with your guitar-rig live, or just for recording? If so, how do you use it, and where in the signal-path do you put it?

I've gotta say, if and when any thick chunky distortion is needed, I'd say it's a safe bet that Peavey 5150 combo has you covered! :cool: (I noticed that you didn't list any distortion or overdrive pedals in front of that amp; "Well, Gee, Wally, why is that?" "Gosh, Beav', Iddunno... ") ;):D

Have you used the 5150 when recording at all, or have you relied solely on the Line-6 Pod?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, i have used the BBE live a couple times, but live, its not as noticable. I use the bbe right before the amp.

When recording, as far as line 6 distortion, I have been able to find a couple decent sounds, I really enjoy plugging that thing into my computer and being able to toy with everything. ive got some really cool, different sounds coming from it.

i love to mic the amp, I adore that sound but, I think I have a couple pre-amp tubes going out, alot of excess noise is coming from the amp on the distortion channel. I have used the 5150 in studio before but we didnt spend enough time mixing to really get the sound i wanted, oh well. ive got electro harmonic tubes inside of it. Its got a really really mean tone, it was really up my alley, but not so much anymore, unless im messing around and playing abunch of metal stuff. Yeah if you need a distortion pedal with this setup you've got to be out of your mind.

we just did direct in this last recording. its nice and easy to work with while mixing but, it doesnt have that tube warmth that I want, my next big purchase is a mesa boogie power amplifier, so I can just use my half stack with it. I'm pretty excited about that.

As far as house recording goes weve only used an sm57 on the amp, and just recently we have tried a combination of a condenser and sm57, we phase the sm 57 and i pull the condenser about 3 feet back and no axis to the mic. So far we can get an excellent clean tone but the distortion always sounds either muddy or not enought low end. I'm kinda stuck there right now.

Dallas

Originally posted by Connally:

"...As far as house recording goes we've only used an sm57 on the amp, and just recently we have tried a combination of a condenser and sm57, we phase the sm 57 and i pull the condenser about 3 feet back and no axis to the mic.

So far we can get an excellent clean tone but the distortion always sounds either muddy or not enought low end. I'm kinda stuck there right now.

Dallas

You really, really aughtta bring this up- and the matter of tubes, and noise-issues, as well- on the "Feel free to ask Myles"-thread near the top of this 'page, Myles knows... this stuff is his bread-and-butter and field of professional experise.

Maybe post another thread on the same subjects, too; there are a number of other folks that frequent this joint who'd likely have some very good advice for you here.

A lot of the ones that post music on that thread are, I'd guess!

There are folks in bands here, too, though. And there's an entire sister-forum here under the MP-Forums banner dedicated to band-members and related subjects, called "Bandwidth". There was a previous one, called "For The Band"; I believe it's been archived here and can be read through.

You know, the BBE isn't the only thing we have in common, Connally - I also use a 5150 but it's the head, not the combo... Definitely post any tube questions you have on the Ask Myles thread!

Just my two cents, but I've had a lot of luck using Groove Tubes mullard reissue tubes (GT-12AX7-M) in the preamp section and the BBE in the effects loop. That quieted down a lot of the noise issues I was having and tightened up the growl from the rhythm channel of the 5150. I never really use the lead channel - it's still pretty hissy...

Very hissy..... I have never tried putting it through the effects loop, I will try that next. Like I said im kinda new to everything. Mainly due to the fact I grew up just playing punk rock and heavy chuggy stuff. But now im trying to learn the ropes, a bit late but oh well. Thanks for all the info guys, I do appreciate it!

Dallas

What does a sonic maximizer do--maximize your sound? What is this "sound maximizing" business? I believe you when you say it's great, but I'm not sure how to picture it in my "inner" ear.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I'll certainly second TimEm's recommendation of those Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M Mullard reissues; they're a very strong and classic sounding 12AX7, and in particular, one tested for a uniform "balanced" between its internal triodes makes a GREAT Matched Phase-Inverter driving the output-tubes. (A set of matched output-tubes didn't hurt any, either.) Immediately improved the balance of response between notes played all over the fretboard, string-to-string and all up-and-down the neck!

Originally posted by TimEm:

thanks but i gotta give credit to ZZZmon for doing it up for me.

all this sonic maximizer talk has me wanting to try one out.

it adds clarity doesn't it?

For me, the sonic maximizer really opened up my sound... Imagine laying your amp on it's back and putting pillows over the speakers, play that way for 15-20 minutes, 'till you get used to the sound, then take the pillows off... The sound just breathes more if you know what I mean... It can be a subtle thing but it's really made a difference for me.

Archived