Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has your amp ever pickup up a radio station?

pollock

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never personally experienced anything like picking up a radio station on my current setup, nor have I in recent times heard of anything like that happening on anyone's amps or sound systems (i.e. the sound system at my church), as a lot of the newer equipment out these days, I believe, is designed (that is, grounded) to keep that from happening. I do recall an incident many years ago, during a service at a church in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA, when their sound system picked up a very loud transmission of a nearby truckdriver on his CB radio; and back then I did hear from others of several similiar incidences on amps and sound systems--mostly sound systems, and mostly from nearby apparently over-powered CB or ham radios.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

I used to have an answering machine/portable phone that picked up AM transmissions. I wound the phone cord a few times around a nail to make an RF choke and stopped it.

I've heard various mobile transmissions break in on the church PA. Never had a guitar amp pick up any spurious signals, but I hear about it frequently.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I'll have to add a correction to that: When I play my Agile semihollowbody with P-90s with my cell phone in my shirt pocket, I can hear the tones the cell phone sends out to contact the tower. They're pretty powerful. Doesn't matter what amp I'm plugged into. I can easily hear them through the portable CD player with cassette tape adapter I use in my car, and I've even heard my cell phone come through my old Hammond organ when I was squatted down near the electronics in the back.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Yeah, it's happened a few times, but not for years, but once at a bar watching a band it happened to them. I've also had CB and other transmissions, but I'm pretty sure they were all AM frequencies. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/music/1.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I'm in the very centre of England, and sometimes with my Alesis FX pedal plugged into my Laney Richter R2 bass amp, I pick up JAPANESE radio.

This has happened on several occassions, always with that combination.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

My appartments on the 22nd floor in downtown chicago, some of my pedals get radio some don't... My goldtone picks up radio badly when played full power, with my DI before it and played in triode it doesn't have any interference problems.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

No, but my amp allows me to broadcast live on my own radio station. If you are ever driving through Royal Oak and you hear someone playing Smoke on the Water OVER AND OVER, thats me!!

NO! NO SMOKE ON THE WATER!! MUCHO BARFO!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck32.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

No, but my amp allows me to broadcast live on my own radio station. If you are ever driving through Royal Oak and you hear someone playing Smoke on the Water OVER AND OVER, thats me!!

NO! NO SMOKE ON THE WATER!! MUCHO BARFO!! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck32.gif
HAY NOW!!!! :D:mad::rolleyes:

This might be of some interest to those of you with the radio features on their amp.

From the Mohave Amplifiers site :

Well Grounded input jacks prevent your amp from becoming a radio receiver! The most common cause for radio frequency amplification by a guitar amplifier is poor grounding on the input jacks. Amplifiers that are designed around a mechanical ground from the input jack to the chassis have an open door for this problem. If the contact between the input jack and chassis corrodes the ground is poor and you will become an antenna when you plug your guitar cord into the amp.

Yeah, happens a lot with me. I'll be checking out Rhino's tip. I think it's got something to do with the player as well. I swear I'm superconductive or something. I'm always having all kinds of electrical weirdness going on around me, not just with guitars.
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Archived