Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Is Sirius Radio worth it?

rw2003

I'm thinking about subscribing to SIRIUS radio, is it worth the $100 for the hardware and the $13/month in subscription fee?

Apparently Howard Stern and his agent have just been granted about $200 million in stock options because the subscriber target in his contract has been met.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do it, but not for Stern: Sirius has got a deal with the CBC, which means that you'll hear a lot of their programming. Which means that you'll hear Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap program, in which he spins records as well as expound upon rock history. It's a great way to spend two hours.
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

I've had sat. radio for a little under two years now. I find it invaluable when driving a long distance, but rarely use it otherwise. I cancelled my auto renewal and I'm not sure I'm going to ante up when I'm due. I took a new job locally and don't drive out much anymore. I listen to the cd player 99% of the time and just the sound of the engine the other 1%.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I'll save you $13 a month.

The Howard Stern Show

"So, will you get naked for us?"

"C'mon, show us your tits."

"Wow, you're hot. You've got a smokin' bod."

"Do you take it up the ass?"

that about compromises the dialog of any given Stern show. Use the money that you have saved as part of a monthly payment on a nice new guitar or amp.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I think it would be cool to have a satellite radio reciever, but not until they make one that picks up both Sirius and XM and FM. I like the concept of commercial free radio with seemingly unlimited options. As far as commercial free, no telling how long that will last. I remember when cable TV was supposed to be commercial free.

This whole XM vs. Sirius battle is remeniscient of Beta vs. VHS. I will most likely wait until the dust clears. In the mean time, I'm most likely missing out on the good commercial free years and on Howard Stern.

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

In the mean time, I'm most likely missing out on the good commercial free years ...

Lately I've had some internet radfios stations going, and I'm finding a lot to like. The options seem to be endless, and I haven't really settled on any one, but these are all free.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I have to say that I am really enjoying my Sirius radio... I listened to the comedy station for about an hour the other day, and I heard Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison and Chris Rock all in a row... then I switched from Billie Holiday to the Boston Pops, checked out a few Elvis tunes and listened to Massive Attack's remix of a KMFDM tune. With no commercials.

Woot. It's good stuff.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Stern factor aside, I'm considering going to Sirius because the rock radio situation in NYC is not that great these days. With Stern's departure from KROCK, the station has basically gone to an all talk format M-F. Hey, I'm listening to the David Lee Roth show in the morning, but I'd like to hear some music during the rest of the day and during my PM commute. My choices for rock music are down to classic rock on Q104.3 and whatever mix Jack FM decides to play. Maybe WFUV at 90.7 sometimes.

I can't believe that NYC can only support one full time rock station!!!

But then I factor in the cost of the satellite radio... $100 for the hardware, $30 activation fee and then $13/mo.

Wow, no rock in NYC? owch!

Around here I go for the local community owned station, which is generally pretty cool.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

The Howard Stern Show

that about compromises the dialog of any given Stern show. Use the money that you have saved as part of a monthly payment on a nice new guitar or amp.

Bill

Nail on the head, Bill. Stern is the exact reason why I won't consider Sirius. It's hard to believe that he can make a living at all doing that, but I digress.

You are wise, young man.

I think everyone here should get Sirius and I'll tell ya why......shameless plug on it's way ! :) )

You can request "Sacred" by "Visual Cliff" on the 'Revolution' channel #67.

Seriously, we have been getting a lot of plays on Revolution and it has really helped in the sales dept.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

Originally posted by CMDN:

I have to say that I am really enjoying my Sirius radio... I listened to the comedy station for about an hour the other day, and I heard Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison and Chris Rock all in a row... then I switched from Billie Holiday to the Boston Pops, checked out a few Elvis tunes and listened to Massive Attack's remix of a KMFDM tune. With no commercials.

Woot. It's good stuff.

The problem is that after you've had it for a while, it becomes like most other radio. They repeat the same programming over and over. The comedy stations have the same skits by the same comedians. They made some changes in their lineup last fall and claimed they were going to add to their repertoire, but I haven't noticed much new. Like most anything, if you listen a lot, it will get old. I was on the road and found it invauable for entertainment and helping with the 'sleepy driver' factor, but I'm not nearly as enthused about it as I was for the first few months. I'm just not sure if I'll renew. Definately lots of variety though. I like Sirius over XM because of the sports. The NFL games are broadcast so you don't have to miss your favorite teams when driving on the Weekends.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by rw2003:

Stern factor aside, I'm considering going to Sirius because the rock radio situation in NYC is not that great these days. With Stern's departure from KROCK, the station has basically gone to an all talk format M-F.

KROCK was my favorite station and now it has become "FREE FM" or whatever. Basically all the talk stinks except for this Jake and Jackie show thats on late at night. I havent had a chance to hear Roth yet because Im usually in school. Im glad that they still play the same old music on the though because thats when i really have a chance to listen to the radio. If I want to listen to anything good during the week im going to have to stick with 102.3 WBAB and Q 104.3

The Howard Stern Show

Bill

That about sums it up.

I wouldn't EVER spend that kind of money for the box for it, much less the $13 a month. I have an mp3 player for when I want to listen to music.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Wow, no rock in NYC? owch!

Around here I go for the local community owned station, which is generally pretty cool.

Bill

I've lived in NY for almost 13 years now and I can tell you, they have shit for radio stations playing rock.

I miss Detroit's WRIF.

I think I decided to go for it! I'm currently listenting to SIRIUS on my computer as I type this via the free 3day trial subsciption. I have the Underground Garage station on and I love what they play. Joan Jett is the dj!

I'm getting it for the music since NYC now has only one commercial rock station. Maybe Stern is a factor also, but I gotta say I'm enjoying listenting to Roth in the Morning and will continue to do so!

I do hate having to pay for it. $100 for the radio and now $13/mo.

Archived