Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK.....new scenario....

Bluesape

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hmmmmmm.......what about a reverse body Firbird, koa, ebony, chrome hardware, 3 splittable Burstbuckers, 5-way, mini toggles, no knobs? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sport/sport22.gif

You'd be sure to stand out in a crowd! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm going to be boring and say I pretty much like the guitar I'm playing at the moment, which is a Danelectro (reissue, Korean) Hodad Baritone.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/7d/c8/instElectric_GuitarsHodad_Baritone-resized200.gif

I'm already in the middle of upgrading the pickups to Seymour Duncans (have one left to go) and after that I'm getting the local luthier to put "star" fretmarkers on, instead of those boring dots. Oh, and I'll get him to put on a brass nut as well because I love big, open, baloon chords.

I'd want the exact same guitar but I'd ask them to make the area under the bridge a bit more solid so it could take a bigsby as well. It'd be nice if they could upgrade the concentric potentiomenter and get a brighter sound too.

I'm easily pleased.

Baritones are way cool!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

"...upgrading the pickups to Seymour Duncans (have one left to go)..."

Hey, cool, would you describe the differences between the stock pickups and the SD's, Vince? (Alos, what specific SD model(s)?)

"...and after that I'm getting the local luthier to put "star" fretmarkers on, instead of those boring dots."

Aaaaaah, the 'stealth' look! So understated... :D

"It'd be nice if they could upgrade the concentric potentiomenter and get a brighter sound too."

Are you referring to a brighter overall tone, the tone with the volume-control turned down at all, or the range of the tone-control?

You might try the treble-bypass-cap-and-resisitor mod (cheap, cheap, cheap, and easy, easy, easy) posted in one of the replies on this thread ... It'll clear up the tone when you use the volume-knob at all, and you can get cleaner, clearer, brighter tones by rolling back the volume a smidgeon, works and sounds great!

As for the custom dream Dano-stylee with a Bigsby, you could do well to check out Fatdawg and Subway Guitars; you could get a custom-built New-Old Stock Dano for a lot less than you might think! (He's got a warehouse of old ORIGINAL VINTAGE Dano necks, bodies, pickups, and parts to build from, straight outta Neptune, New Jersey (you just can't make this stuff up, it's so good)!

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Hey, cool, would you describe the differences between the stock pickups and the SD's, Vince? (Alos, what specific SD model(s)?)

Zere ees zees zerm in Anglaish... how you zay... ze chalk and fromage, I mean sheese. ;)

Seriously, it's a much better sound. Much more forceful. Louder, cleaner, brighter. It's great. Can't wait to get the middle pup put in because the original standard pup is too weak and ruins all the out-of-phase sounds. Oh, and there's only one replacement model. I think it's called something like SLS-D or something like that. Only comes in bridge and neck, no middle pickups.

Aaaaaah, the 'stealth' look! So understated... :D

I was hoping for this "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" look and vibe. Maybe it's some subconscious association with the Lone Star State? ("let's go back to your childhood...")

Are you referring to a brighter overall tone, the tone with the volume-control turned down at all, or the range of the tone-control?

I really don't know. I'd be curious just to see what happens. It sounds like putting mag tyres on a car: you may not know what will happen, but it might happen even better.

You might try the treble-bypass-cap-and-resisitor mod (cheap, cheap, cheap, and easy, easy, easy) posted in one of the replies on this thread ... It'll clear up the tone when you use the volume-knob at all, and you can get cleaner, clearer, brighter tones by rolling back the volume a smidgeon, works and sounds great!

I really should look into it. Concentric knobs are not that easy to find.

As for the custom dream Dano-stylee with a Bigsby, you could do well to check out Fatdawg and Subway Guitars;

Yeah, I know Fatdawg's site and I look at it sometimes. The thing is that I really don't have much faith in the guitar arriving in one piece.

Vince- that treble-bypass mod uses whatever pots are already in there; all you do is add a tiny cap, or a tiny cap and a tiny resistor, to the circuit, very very very easy to do if you can handle a soldering-iron without overheating the pot or other parts (maybe clip some little alligator-clips on the wires that will conduct heat from where you're soldering, to act as heat-sinjs and protect other components) and make proper quality solder-joints. We're talking loose-change costs here, too! Cheap cheap cheap easy easy easy... and easily reversible if you don't like the sound (but you probably will).

In action, it simply lets a little more treble shine through as you turn the guitar's volume-knob down, keeping it from getting too dark and muddy. If you just turn the volume down a tiny bit, it can seem to shift the balance a little more towards the brighter-side; turn it down more, and the tone cleans and clears up as the volume goes down, especially if you're using a pushed tube-amp; morph from "lead" to "rhythm" tones with the volume-control. It kinda turns your volume-knob into a different, cool tone-shaping control! (Still works as a volume-control, though.)

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Check it out here. (Thanks, Lancer!) (Note the diagram below the text, and how very simple the mod is. ALSO NOTE THAT THE CAP-VALUE IN THE DIAGRAM SHOULD READ "630 V", not "63 V", it's a typo.)

Archived