Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Hot Rod Deville Amp- Ext. Spkr Question

baronedo

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville Guitar amp of the two x 12" speaker model. For larger gigs, I wanted to add an additional speaker via the external speaker jack on the amp, preferably with a 15" speaker for a little more low end.

I have an external 15" speaker cabinet which I tried with the amp. This 15" speaker has an 8 ohm rating. The 15" external cab worked with the amp and its 2x12s but the volume was much lower out of the 15 compared to the 2x12s. I subsequently looked at the amps manual and believe I found the cause which is that Fender recommends that in the Hot Rod Deville 2x12, you connect an external speaker rated at only 4 ohms.

I would appreciate any comments or clarifications on this and also inquire whether there is an easy way (e.g. through wiring modifications and/or adding components/circuitry) to make this 8 ohm external speaker behave like a 4 ohm speaker and work with my 2x12 Hot Rod Deville amp?

If Myles, our amp expert, is around, I would appreciate his comments.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the external speaker plugged into the 2X12 must be a 4 ohm speaker. I can't think of any VIABLE way of converting the existing speaker to a 4 ohm though some sort of 8 ohm filter in parallel may work. It would be better to locate and install a 4 ohm speaker. Check with Carvin and Avatar Speakers for some good pricing on speakers.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

You also might consider a closed-back or even ported 2x12 or 4x12 or 4x10 extension-cab if more low-end thump is a part of your goal...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for your input on my inquiry. Another thought came to mind. My amp manual indicates that another amp can be linked to the Hot Rod Deville via the Hot Rod's pre amp output jack, (which the manual indicates is an umbalanced jack from the preamp and is pre-reverb). I do have a small Heathkit tube amp which I could use as an additional power amp connected to the 15" 8ohm speaker I have. Will this work and if so, what are the pros and cons of connecting this way?

Well, it's just a preamp-out, it should work alright, it'd work best going into the power-amp section alone (of another amp), but it'll probably work well enough going into the front input, as well. Just try it, as long as the old Heathkit amp's in good enough working order, it should be alright. At least you'll have a seperate volume-control for the 1x15"-cab, if the Heathkit's up to the task it might work quite well, indeed.

This could also open the door for geeky-cool stereo and dual/parallel effects...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

These days I've been turning into a "little amp geek"; easier to carry, won't make you or your audience deaf, etc...The HR Deville is 65w, no? With 2X12? Seems like adequate firepower to me, just my opinion...

For larger gigs would it work out at all just to put your amp up in the sound system, either by mic'ing or a line out (had a HR Deville and can't remember now if it had a line out)?

Archived