Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedalless overdrive crunch

Darcy H

I don't much like messing with settings, I've got a sound that I love and don't wish to change it, but I wouldn't mind getting it another way, pedalless if possible, and perhaps with some more wattage.

I've got a Blues Junior (15W), that is easy to overdrive with it's master volume, and it gets into the 12/12 (full blast master and pregain volume) arena on a regular basis due to an overzealous drummer, but I find it's crunch to be harsh and a tad muddy, whereas clean up the BJ and add my Tonebone Classic and it's the sweetest crunch I could imagine. I'm not too heavy with it, just abit of breakup with the guitar volume at max, so I can back off and clean it up, but it really softens the BJ's bite.

Now the Tonebone Classic is supposed to sound like an overdriven Bassman, but as there isn't any master on the Bassman, I imagine I'd have to get into some serious volumes to get that aforementioned crunch. I guess I could go with any clean amp and add the Tonebone, and hence the volume wouldn't be an issue (I'm thinking the living room now) but I have this romantic idea of simplicity and no pedals.

Suck it up and keep the pedal? Or is the Bassman sweet at lower volumes? Or is there another amp I should be looking at (in the 40 to 50 watt range)?

Perhaps a silly question but I'm bored at work. :D

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up the road, and as you are seeing now; that BJ cannot hang w/the drums. You would have to rely on an attentive soundman who actually cares to turn you up in the mains and give you a good monitor mix should you decide to use the BJ

I would not ditch the TB, you'll regret it

The bassman w/the 4 10''s sounds great, but you definitely have to crank the dickens out of it

YOu may want to look into the New peavy Classic 30's too, but the higher ohmage may also warrant you having to crank it

or Look into the Dr. Z's

That Maz 18 will mos def crunch at 18w

I tell ya, that Route 66 at 33 watts will crunch w/o a pedal, too

This all depends on your style, though.

Do you use clean at all?

Or do you go semi-dirty to crunch all of the time?

What's your style?

I would ask Myles about which Dr. Z would be suitable, and also be more specific about what you want

The Bassman that they are talking about is vintage.

You can clean up the mud by backing down the mids.

If your sound man DOESN'T care, fire his ass.

If the drummer needs a shot of morphine, or a simple smack in the head, give it to him. Why should everyone else have to buy expensive gear and damage their hearing just because the drummer wants to be an asshole?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Have tried using a good boost pedal? On my 5 watt epiphone valve special I find that by turning the preamp gain below the level of distortion I can run an insane amount (up to 25db) of very transparent boost using a seymour duncan pickup booster without adding much if any preamp distortion. I expected the pickup booster to wallop the preamp tubes but it doesnt, I'm still amazed by the amount of volume I can get and how sweet the power tube sounds. You should be able to try that at your local guitar shack, just bring your tonebone...
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Yea, but he's a big f*#@er and he's having soooooo much fun!

I actually got a chance to sample a Traynor YCV50Blue tonight, pretty much suits the bill to a T, one gorgeous amp! Now for saving up some cash!

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

....If the drummer needs a shot of morphine, or a simple smack in the head, give it to him. Why should everyone else have to buy expensive gear and damage their hearing just because the drummer wants to be an asshole?

Bill

I don't think you can expect any drummer playing Rock to tone down his sound to play under the volume level of a 15 watt amp. Seems unreasonable to me.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

....If the drummer needs a shot of morphine, or a simple smack in the head, give it to him. Why should everyone else have to buy expensive gear and damage their hearing just because the drummer wants to be an asshole?

Bill

I don't think you can expect any drummer playing Rock to tone down his sound to play under the volume level of a 15 watt amp. Seems unreasonable to me.
Right! unless he's using brushes and a cocktail snare with a rag on the head :D ya..you just gotta go bigger on the amp.

Archived