Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar on a stick

Danzilla

Hey now! Has anyone used one of those brace/stand thingies that holds your guitar (say an acoustic) up in playing position, so that you can strap on your electric then step up and play the acoustic when you have to? I've tried looking on the dealer websites for a link or picture but can't find one! Anyway, I saw one at my local store for $50 that attaches to the guitar, then to a mic stand. I'm thinking about getting one, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

I eagerly await your sage tales. Or some smart ass comments. :D

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used guitar stands like those that you see on concert stages. It works okay, but don't forget that you'll always have your electric guitar and a bit of the stand pushing you back away from the acoustic.

As to one that hooks onto a mic stand..... hmmm.... doesn't excite me that much. I'd hate to see my $5,000 Santa Cruz hit the floor because I was too cheap to buy a good stand.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

If you let me use your $5,000.00 Santa Cruz, I'll strap that on; and put my Washburn on the stand. Won't worry too much if THAT falls!

Comacoda- I've seen Steve Howe and his "tree" that used to have several "branches" to hold the pedal steel, sitar, mandolin, and another guitar. Now THAT would be cool, and quite a bit more $$ than this.

NEW band Old band

Yeah, Geoff's suggestion is what most people do to get the other instrument they're playing out of the way ...& the stand's seem rather stable (heck, you could "sandbag" the bottom if really worried).

To me the drawback is that you're locked into position, both onstage & to the exact playing position of the guitar relative to your hands & body.

Smarty pants comment section:

Kinda reminds me of the somewhat reverse idea I saw singer Dan Hicks use. He had a guitar with a clipped on mic---not for the guitar but for his vocals! (Laughable but in fact I've seen photos of Les Paul with the same gizmo!)

An interesting variant might be to have a whole slew of these stands set up (& you can easily build your own from mic stands, etc) with a lotta instruments then when you come onstage you never even strap on an instrument, just walk around playin' those on the stands.

(as you might guess I come from a background involving lots of onstage showmanship). :D

One of the last bands I was in featured myself & another guitarist. We'd trade-off on bass & guitar, often making a gimmick of tossing them into the air & catching the other instrument, etc.

How much easier it might've been to just walk up to the instruments on a stand...

I don't mind being "locked into position"; I'm locked in behind the microphone when I'm singing, anyway. And it would only be for parts of songs, not the whole time. I could still move around for the majority of the show. The inverse idea (Dan Hicks & Les Paul) is interesting, but not what I have in mind!

(The one I was looking at uses a standard mic stand as the base; not that it clips to a mic stand that also has the microphone on it)

Maybe I'll try it!

NEW band Old band

Ok look close at the mic stand base.... That is a base shaped lead shot filled bag. I use those on ALL our mic stands and two of them together on the long extenended drummers mic and overheads. If I was going to use a guitar holder on a mic stand I would trust the stand with these..they feel like they are nailed to the floor.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/peddleboards003.jpg

Ok.. there are two distinct types of these stands.

The first is the Gracie stand, developed by Alex Lifeson of Rush to accomodate playing Closer To The Heart among other songs.

The Gracie is based off a drum hardware/cymbal stand. Heavy, wide base.. this thing is near indestructable. But it's heavy, cumbersome to transport. It would still be my choice.

http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/ACC/GGH-ACOU.jpg

The other is a product of a mic stand company... I saw them up close at Sam Ash about a year ago, but they were soon gone. Much less expensive than the Gracie, I believe it's the one you're thinking of.

First, it wasn't very sturdy. Despite your lead shot weights (Nifty implementation! :thu: ), I wouldn't trust the mic stand mount guitar holder, even on your stands.

First, heavy or not, it's not difficult for someone knocking into your mic stand with a guitar mounted to the top to use leverage to knock it over. That would be bad.

Second, the plastic itself did not appear near strong enough for my peace of mind. I imagine your weights would keep the stand upright as someone snapped the holder apart from its' mount. ;)

While a lot rests on what mic stand you use, I know of nothing short of an Atlas studio boom mic upright with a wide enough stance to adequately support a guitar on a mic stand, and the mount wouldn't connect on that. (I suppose you could mount it to the boom. :D )

The Gracie is the best way to accomplish this. It uses known, robust technology to provide exactly the stability neccesary to protect your precious instrument and make it possible to have it at the ready while wearing another instrument. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I saw one similar to the photo fantasticsound posted during a Tesla concert.. he just sat behind it with his electric and leaned forward to play acoustic... he wasnt exactly gentle when he was playing either... bumped into it several times and would grab it quickly and shake the whole rig....it never looked like it was in danger of falling over...
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

That's my point, hamburglar. The Gracie is extremely stable. You'd have to purposely knock it over.

When I worked at MARS Music we had one set up for a while. Many times customers walked into that guitar as they were staring, focused on the guitar wall and it never came close to tipping over. Kinda simulated drunks at a bar. :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived