Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fostex?

The Geoff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Fostex? No, it's cat's piss...

Oh... you mean...

No, sorry. :D

I know what you mean ;)

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

I have an old Fostex 280 that is a really decent piece of gear but I've never seen a 160.

So - Fostex is generall decent stuff?

Up there with Tascam?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

So - Fostex is generall decent stuff?

Up there with Tascam?

IIRC, back in the days of casette tape portastudios, Tascam and Fostex were like Coke and Pepsi. Portastudios came in one of the two flavours and were pretty darn similar.

Now, you mention a specific model but I don't know whether that was better or worse than average.

Tascam is by Teac, and has a stronger reputation than Fostex. Fostex was always more affordable, but decent quality. They may have offered similarly priced entry level units, but some Tascam models were dedicated studio units, and commanded a much higher price. :rolleyes:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

They may have offered similarly priced entry level units, but some Tascam models were dedicated studio units, and commanded a much higher price. :rolleyes:

Oh sure, but I was talking about porta studios. At that level (and IIRC) they were, overall, pretty similar. Maybe Tascam had the edge, but it was pretty much of a muchness. Anyway, that's the impression I got.

I'm looking for something cheap to play and learn with. I've found this Fostex, this Tascam, this Yamaha , and this other Yamaha.

They all seem reasonable and cheap, but I haven't a clue what's what or desirable.

Geoff

They all seem reasonable and cheap, but I haven't a clue what's what or desirable.

The Tascam's blurb refers specifically to being able to record 4 tracks at once, which can come in handy for quickie band demos (hey, if it was good enough for Sun Studios...). I'm a bit puzzled about the 2nd Yamaha. It's described as "digital". (?) Does it record onto a hard disk or something?

I'd go for the Tascam, then perhaps the Yammies and lastly the Fostex. Not because it's a worse brand, but simply because the Fostex looks cheaper and more limited. I don't like that dark photograph either, who knows what didn't come out in the picture?

Maybe you can PM blueswithoutblame, he uses a 4 track portastudio to record his band gigs.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

The Tascam's blurb refers specifically to being able to record 4 tracks at once, which can come in handy for quickie band demos (hey, if it was good enough for Sun Studios...). I'm a bit puzzled about the 2nd Yamaha. It's described as "digital". (?) Does it record onto a hard disk or something?

I'd go for the Tascam, then perhaps the Yammies and lastly the Fostex. Not because it's a worse brand, but simply because the Fostex looks cheaper and more limited. I don't like that dark photograph either, who knows what didn't come out in the picture?

Maybe you can PM blueswithoutblame, he uses a 4 track portastudio to record his band gigs.

The last Yammie is MiniDisc - it looks handy, though. Otherwise I was thinking the same way.

G.

The last Yammie is MiniDisc - it looks handy, though. Otherwise I was thinking the same way.

Well, one thing I dislike about TAPE is that if you record over and over on the same spot you can actually stretch the tape and screw everything up.

Can you overwrite the minidisk or do you have to have a new minidisk every time?

I think I'll have a go at something cheap - ie the Fostex or the first Yammie, and then try for the MiniDisc Yammie. If I get both I can get rid of the first one - then again I could use them in tandem :)

Geoff

If you don't mind the suggestion of someone who has been recording for a very long time.... if you need a standalone deck, look for a Korg D-8 or something similar.

If you have a computer, look at a Tascam US-428.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Indeed I have the VS-890 which I guess is even a bigger step up. No problems what so ever. I think it even makes espresso if you get on the right layer. :P

I hear allot of jokes about Rolands Manuals yeah, a little maybe, but I dont have a problem with them or they have improved.

Tascam is good stuff too My CD-RW700 blew a filter cap during the 1st or 2nd year, but being a tech. that was little more than an inconvenience. I run it now with a 4" muffin fan on top and it's happy...

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

Originally posted by greenboy:

So? It's being used for a cheap "notebook", right? A way-old cheap model cassette multitrack is likely to have crap heads that need alignment...

If,for little money, you could get 24 bit 48k, with MIDI and VSTi and software all included, wouldn't it be worth it?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived